Tofujesse Castings: Announcements & Discussion

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
oooh. I like that for scoop. Cant wait to see it painted and finished. Scoop is a character I have wanted to make and/or see someone make for a while now.

Congrats Jesse! Breath a big sigh of relief now, but only for a minute, round 2 starts soon. lol.

Tofujesse

Enlisted
Mar 15, 2012
CA
I just finished up the NF heads...I will be posting tons of pics later this week. It's rest time/ Need a few days off.

Attachments

• NF3.jpg
    NF3.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 13
  • NF2.jpg
    NF2.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 10
  • NF4.jpg
    NF4.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 10
  • Nf6.jpg
    Nf6.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 9
  • NF7.jpg
    NF7.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 8
  • repeater.jpg
    repeater.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 13
  • saw helmet.jpg
    saw helmet.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 11
  • NF1.jpg
    NF1.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 12
  • NF5.jpg
    NF5.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 10

Tofujesse

Enlisted
Mar 15, 2012
CA
Didn't you just have like... 6 months off??

GET BACK TO WORK!!

I wish, been killing myself for the last 3 1/2 months trying to catch up from when I got ill. Trying to cast roughly 6000 parts was no small task especially when I had to remold stuff and other crap I had to deal with.

Last edited:

Captain Charisma

The Cult Of Personality
Aug 8, 2012
California
Does this mean you'll see sunlight again, Jesse? I havn't seen you outside of your shop in months. In there, working hard, covered in resin...that WAS resin, right?

:eek:

-CC

Captain Charisma

The Cult Of Personality
Aug 8, 2012
California
Probably just his creative juices flowing... mmhmm

Ha ha ha...gross.

The custom nazi hasn't had time to put those casts up yet...he's still finishing up that casting class from Joe Con. Should be wrapping up by JoeCon 2014. Hope attendees brought some of those astronaut diapers.

-CC

Captain Charisma

The Cult Of Personality
Aug 8, 2012
California
I would expect that from now on, we can just expect an in-stock order system, and no more "made to order" stuff, right? And for the love of goddamn Buddha bouncing on a pogo stick, no more favors for people. That's part of what got you in trouble in the first place. The people who get shit for free have the biggest sense of entitlement and tend to bitch the loudest. :D

-CC

Tofujesse

Enlisted
Mar 15, 2012
CA
So, are we looking at normal turnaround time now for purchases made from this point on?

Yes. I will be restocking the site this weekend and getting things back to normal. Time to RECLAIM my spot!

I would expect that from now on, we can just expect an in-stock order system, and no more "made to order" stuff, right? And for the love of goddamn Buddha bouncing on a pogo stick, no more favors for people. That's part of what got you in trouble in the first place. The people who get shit for free have the biggest sense of entitlement and tend to bitch the loudest. :D

-CC
Yes totally revamping my system which may include you but I talk to you about that later. No more made to order BS.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Just got an email notification with tracking number. My order should be here in 1-3 days. So, should have it by this weekend.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Don't cut up the stupid Club figure.

I have my custom Iceberg head that's a hybrid of a Star Wars head and a SDS cap (cut off a casting of their Frostbite head) plus my cobbled-together webgear and sculpted collar that I could let Jesse cast, if he doesn't have a problem casting them.

I was going to wait until I got the Club one in to make sure that all the parts fit together first, but he may not want to cast it.

The hat portion from the SDS Frostbite sculpt may cross the line in the castor/castor respect zone.

DarkWynter

Plastic Pimp
Mar 2, 2013
The hat portion from the SDS Frostbite sculpt may cross the line in the castor/castor respect zone.

I'd take it as a kindness if you did not cast or send AF parts in to be cast. It's more in the artist respect zone. I would not cast Stocco's sculpts to sell for example. He works hard on those. When Slayer was running they had agreements with a lot of outside artists. Some of those artists did not want their sculpts to transfer in the sale and requested we not continue them. Out of respect for those artist we took those items out of stock. Respecting the artists helps the community as a whole. Talented artists should be encouraged as much as possible.
Like you said this was a mod and starts to move towards a grey area, so we understand you in no way are suggesting or trying to :pirate:. The topic was brought up and we just want to ask that people not do this. We do admire your creative use of parts and actually plan to retool and release a lot of the AF headgear as accessories.

Last edited:

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
I sculpted my own hat for frostbite, but I think it's too fragile to survive the molding/casting process...

Last edited by a moderator:

DarkWynter

Plastic Pimp
Mar 2, 2013
I sculpted my own hat for frostbite, but I think it's too fragile to survive the molding/casting process...

Experienced mold-makers could do it. As long as the mold turns out, it won't matter if the original does not survive. From what I have seen, TJ knows his stuff. As long as it can survive the trip to the caster it should be alright. Fragile items and items made from wax often are a one shot try. The original, often is destroyed in the demolding process. If the mold-maker succeeds you will be able to get a hard master-copy out of the mold. Now you can make as many molds and copies as you like. There is risk of the mold not turning out, but that is where experience helps to minimize it.
I would encourage you to try it. The community as a whole is better when you have artists like yourself putting work out there and being rewarded for it.

Captain Charisma

The Cult Of Personality
Aug 8, 2012
California
What level of respect should I show the artists? The same level of respect that they show Hasbro's intellectual property rights? Or are they somehow entitled to more because it's okay the :pirate: as long as it's only from a big faceless corporation?

For example, let's say Krexx sculpts a Destro Renegades head, which he has, and you sell it on your site. It's his sculpt, but he doesn't own it... that likeness is owned by Hasbro, and he's bootlegged it and is profiting on it... if someone makes a copy and sells it themselves, how are they any more in the wrong? Both parties are profiting off of an item they do not own and have no legal right to be producing.

Just playing devil's advocate here... obviously it's simply a "gentleman's agreement" that keeps casters respecting other casters original sculpts, and not some moral code...

-CC

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
What level of respect should I show the artists? The same level of respect that they show Hasbro's intellectual property rights? Or are they somehow entitled to more because it's okay the :pirate: as long as it's only from a big faceless corporation?

For example, let's say Krexx sculpts a Destro Renegades head, which he has, and you sell it on your site. It's his sculpt, but he doesn't own it... that likeness is owned by Hasbro, and he's bootlegged it and is profiting on it... if someone makes a copy and sells it themselves, how are they any more in the wrong? Both parties are profiting off of an item they do not own and have no legal right to be producing.

Just playing devil's advocate here... obviously it's simply a "gentleman's agreement" that keeps casters respecting other casters original sculpts, and not some moral code...

-CC

XOC2008

Caution: Troll Ahead!
Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL

-CC

I'm pretty sure that so long as a caster doesn't sell a custom cast item with the name of the trademarked hasbro offering, there's no thievery of intellectual property. So if they want to call the Renegades Destro head 'Assmunch McFuckery', they can sell it as such as long as they don't sell it as Destro. But, if someone takes Krexx's cast, and recasts it and then tries to sell it as their own, that's blatant thievery.

The difference is that Hasbro didn't produce the Renegades Destro head. Krexx did.

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD

-CC

Actually, it's not. There's both legal and moral precedent for respecting the artists, if they're trying to enforce a copyright that Hasbro is choosing not to. And let's be clear, Hasbro is choosing to turn a blind eye here, as from their stance at conventions they're well aware of the customizer community.

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
I'm pretty sure that so long as a caster doesn't sell a custom cast item with the name of the trademarked hasbro offering, there's no thievery of intellectual property. So if they want to call the Renegades Destro head 'Assmunch McFuckery', they can sell it as such as long as they don't sell it as Destro. But, if someone takes Krexx's cast, and recasts it and then tries to sell it as their own, that's blatant thievery.

The difference is that Hasbro didn't produce the Renegades Destro head. Krexx did.

Arguable either way, as Hasbro owns the rights to the GI Joe: Renegades cartoon - copyright includes the right to choose who adapts something to another form. Making an action figure (or parts thereof) can be considered an adaptation from the cartoon.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
From my experience in following 3rd party Transformers discussion threads, these "intellectual property" discussions NEVER end well, and always end in a draw where everyone's tired from being pissed off at each other.

As for me, I don't give a fuck about Hasbro. I care more about their properties, which extends beyond their legal ownership, and if they're incapable of producing something, or in proper numbers to meet demand, then if someone else is willing to answer that demand, then so be it. Multiply that x1000 if we're talking customizing. As long as the parts are quality, I can do the legwork myself. :)