Hocky Tape & Lego Sail Loadouts

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Ok, so I've had a few guys ask me to put something together.

I've seen some really good stuff out and about with fabric. We've all seen Ruscfore play dress up with his figs (Cheers) and some others I can't think of exacherey right now.

I think I'll call him Midge.

So I want to load out a sniper as they are probally all loaded out anyway unless setting up in a safe spot for a while, no?

So if you guys see a cool picture out there post it here so I can try to work this one out as real as I can. I may buy another one and cut a square or whatever out of the Ghille suit to accept a pack. Maybe even have the cut out piece attachable to the pack.

Thanks to Gigabread for the Lego Sail. Big improvement for certain portions for sure.

The Hockey tape is better for more free form uneven stuff.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Do they break them down a little when in their packs?...I would think a rifle used primarily for sniping purposes would get rather lengthy

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
The Marines primarily use the M40A, which can be broken down, but is a bout ten inches longer than the M4 and weighs about twice as much.

Now, the .50 snipers that are oh so popular in the movies are usually broken down in a pack.

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
The Marines primarily use the M40A, which can be broken down, but is a bout ten inches longer than the M4 and weighs about twice as much.

Now, the .50 snipers that are oh so popular in the movies are usually broken down in a pack.

The packs in the link are self explanatory. Awesome photos, variety and details

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Materials:

Hockey Tape:

1) Works best for free form items like packs and some pouches.
2) Great for pistol holsters also because the glue helps make a tight form fit.
3) Leg straps
4) Slings
5) Vests

Lego Sail:

1) More rigid style pouches and mag pouches.
2) Webbing on the vests.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I still need to get some lego sail to mess with

Did you get the white tape too Rick?...it's nice if you need to paint it

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Step 1- DESIGN YOUR TEMPLATES.

After taking some basic measurements of your figure's torso width and height you'll need to determine what style vest you want to make and then try out a few shapes settling on a shape that works for you.

Make the shape to cut out a tad smaller than the desired dimensions to allow for layering of the hockey tape when building thichness.

Cut the shapes out and tape in place on the figure.

I tend to make the back pannel longer. You'll want to make sure the portions that will connect to the side pannels line up.

Step 2) BUILD THE FRONT & BACK PANNELS

Once satisfied with the shape its time to ad thickness and build the pannels with Hockey tape.

Place the templates on the tape then trim just beyond the template shape and fold over the tape onto the paper to get a clean edge.

Add one to two more layers depending on desired thickness. Keep in mind with each layer you may want to shrint the template dimemsions by a millimeter

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Wonder if Dick's in Heights has this here hockey tape....

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
My friggen computer crashed. All my photos are saved, but I had to buy a new computer and my Cannon Rebel is so old it won't work with it.

Going to have to use a little powershot to finish this up until I can get a new $1,000 fucking camera. Errr New computer and camera. I was going to buy the new bbi Blackhawk this coming month to.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Bummer...I just had the same issue with a new TV...the surround was so old (but still kicked a$$) that it couldn't be recognized by the TV...had to buy a new system

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Think I'll get another Cannon Rebel. Loved that thing.

Last edited:

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Using my little powershot.

After a couple layers place the vest panels on the figure lining them up to see if you've created the size and thickness you want. Add layers as needed.

looking from the side line up for the next steps which will be the side panels and shoulder straps.

using scotch tape to hold the panels in place helps to get a custom fit.

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Cut a strip wide enough to fold into the width you'd want for your shoulder strap. Folding gives you a nice clean outside edge.

Then attach to the front panel with super glue

Once dried pull tight and attach to the back panel. I added a loop to fish a camel back tube through or radio cord.

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Just like the front and back panels, cut a piece of tape a bit smaller than the height needed and then wrap 2 to 3 layers to your desired thickness.

Once finished then add a strip of tape sticky side facing out. The two tabs are what will connect the front and back panels.

Glue to one of the panels and either just use the sticky tape to connect if you want to remove the vest or glue the other tab if you plan to keep it on the figure.

Finished with the vest construction and now ready for paint.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Seems like it'd be pretty easy to make molle system with some strips of tape...though after its all geared up, you wouldn't see it anyway...

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Went with Tamiya Desert Yellow

Next ready for webbing or molle system or what ever it's called.

I will be switching to Lego sail as it's stiffer and easier to cut in thinner strips and it gives a better sense of layering as it's thicker or seems it.

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Wife has the camera on her trip.

Had to use the cell phone.

Used a lens cleaner cloth for a Velcro strip

Then lego sail for the strips

Hockey Tape for the drag handle

Ready for attachments, gear and a ruck sack

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
The phone camera was pissing me off, so how to on pouches will come further in the thread. I'll do a couple though they will not be part of this build.

Radio and mag pouches were made from Lego Sail and the zip pouch and holster were made from hockey tape

Same goes for the Sniper Pack that was made out of hockey tape. I wanted to make this a hollow useable pack. this was a first run so I will make another with detailed instructions on the next one which will be more accurate.

PlastikAdiktion

Enlisted
Aug 11, 2013
New here. Used this tutorial to work somethings out, thought it was very helpful. I will try and take pics to share. Awesome customs as well.

PlastikAdiktion

Enlisted
Aug 11, 2013
Adding these pics to this thread, since related. Still a WIP.
Using hockey tape and bracelet material found at walmart. Used the closure from a gi joe vest to make it easier to remove. For the pouches, used a piece of sand paper I wrinkled up, but hockey tape probably better. Not sure how to make that hockey tape seem so solid, more layers?

Attachments

• WIP1.jpg
    WIP1.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 68
  • WIP2.jpg
    WIP2.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 50
  • WIP3.jpg
    WIP3.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 47
  • WIP4.jpg
    WIP4.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 46
  • WIP5.jpg
    WIP5.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 42
  • WIP6.jpg
    WIP6.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 34

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Adding these pics to this thread, since related. Still a WIP.
Using hockey tape and bracelet material found at walmart. Used the closure from a gi joe vest to make it easier to remove. For the pouches, used a piece of sand paper I wrinkled up, but hockey tape probably better. Not sure how to make that hockey tape seem so solid, more layers?

For the Mag packs I use Lego Sail. It's a tighter weave and stiffer