Magic: The Gathering Ajani Goldmane (Funko Legacy)

Iok

Enlisted
Jun 21, 2014
That Figures: REVIEW: Magic: The Gathering Ajani Goldmane

Final Thoughts
There are a lot of problems with Ajani Goldmane. His paint app is uninspired, a few of his layer pieces inhibit his articulation (although thankfully they're at least solid and don't feel like they're going to pop off), he can't hold his sword accessory, his scabbard feels very tacked-on (and I'm amazed it hasn't come away yet), my figure was, apparently, packaged by somebody wearing boxing gloves and - worst of all - my figure's torso joint comes apart.

And yet, for all these problems, this is actually a pretty good-looking figure - certainly the best-looking, in my opinion, of all the figures in the Magic: The Gathering Legacy line-up. It may not be perfect but in terms of design and execution, Ajani Goldmane is in a different league to Chandra Nalaar. I'll admit, that's not really saying much but if the Legacy line-up was more like this and less like the rebuild-your-own-figure Chandra Nalaar, then I'd be more interested in seeing what else the range has to offer.

That's not to say I've been totally converted to their cause. No figure - no matter how many times it's billed as being ''not for children'' or pitched as ''for Adult Collectors'' - should break in two pieces under the most gentle of handling. It's not like I was playing ''let's see if he can survive being thrown down the stairs'' when the figure came apart and, as I've mentioned in the past, I'm always cautious when it comes to handling my figures. The cram-him-into-the-box packaging is also unacceptable, especially as there are collectors who like to keep their stuff mint in box. Considering this figure retails at over $20, I'd expect at least a modicum of quality assurance.

With all that said, though, there's no denying that Ajani Goldmane is an impressive-looking piece. Sure, when you look closer you'll see the imperfections (and lack of detail) in his paint app, the layer pieces may stop him being quite as pose-able as you'd like him to be and his sword accessory is purely for show but these are things you can come to accept, given enough time.

I'm happy with my figure, despite the issues I've had to work around or learn to live with, but that's probably because I only paid $8 for him (courtesy of Target's clearance sale.) Had I paid the $20+ asking price the figure usually retails for, then I'm sure I'd feel very different about the whole experience and until Funko sort out their quality control issues and build quality, I still can't recommend them - at least at full price.

A good, albeit flawed, figure - if you can find him on clearance.

MORE PICTURES AND FULL REVIEW HERE:
That Figures: REVIEW: Magic: The Gathering Ajani Goldmane

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
These aren't based on "my" era of Magic, so I didn't have any real interest, but they look a little unfinished for what the MSRP was. Raw plastic should be used sparingly or not at all. I bet with a repainting he'd look proper.

From what I hear this line is done. With what rares and mythic rares can cost Magic players ain't trying to dip into card funds for action figures. I don't think Magic will ever have a figure line that's more than a one-and-done proposition.

Vindicare86

TANSTAAFL
Apr 4, 2011
Germantown, MD
I liked the idea of having figures and would've picked some up, but damn did they drop the ball paint app wise. They've done so well on the Game of Thrones figures that it just makes these that much more disappointing.

Iok

Enlisted
Jun 21, 2014
These aren't based on "my" era of Magic, so I didn't have any real interest, but they look a little unfinished for what the MSRP was. Raw plastic should be used sparingly or not at all. I bet with a repainting he'd look proper.

From what I hear this line is done. With what rares and mythic rares can cost Magic players ain't trying to dip into card funds for action figures. I don't think Magic will ever have a figure line that's more than a one-and-done proposition.

It's years (maybe even decades?) since I played M:TG and I was a very casual player, so for me it was more about ''ooh, that looks interesting'' than any kind of brand affiliation. I'm a sucker for fantasy characters, which was really what caught my eye. I just wish there was a good line of well-made, nicely designed fantasy/medieval characters. I know the Mythic Legions stuff is coming out but it's not going to be on shelves for me to be able to pick up, which is how I much prefer to shop.

And yeah, there's a huge amount of unpainted/blank plastic on this figure. Like you say, with a good paint app he'd look a lot better.

Iok

Enlisted
Jun 21, 2014
I liked the idea of having figures and would've picked some up, but damn did they drop the ball paint app wise. They've done so well on the Game of Thrones figures that it just makes these that much more disappointing.

Are the GoT figures as badly assembled? I have two MTG toys and both have had pieces come off within moments of opening the box...

Vindicare86

TANSTAAFL
Apr 4, 2011
Germantown, MD
couldn't tell you, I'm only going off of seeing both side by side in stores. I haven't picked up any of either, I might pick up one of the MTG ones if they go super deep discount.

Iok

Enlisted
Jun 21, 2014
couldn't tell you, I'm only going off of seeing both side by side in stores. I haven't picked up any of either, I might pick up one of the MTG ones if they go super deep discount.

My local Target had them (and the Tyrion figure) for $8 each, which is why I grabbed this and Chandra Nalaar. They're fine for that price but I'd have been super-pissed if I'd paid $20+ for them.

Iok

Enlisted
Jun 21, 2014
I might have to check out my local Target if that's the case, I'd bite for that much. But yeah, they need some work.

That's pretty much how I feel. Even without knowing about the issues I wouldn't pay the $20+ price tag (particularly as Walgreens, I think, has them for about $16...!)