A matter of scale

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Prompted by this, and many topics like it..

1:18 is still proving too small for Joescale figures, and after dealing with 1:16 scale Bruder stuff, I'm still convinced that Joescale is NOT true 1:18, more like 1:17.

I wonder though. Since 12" figures are supposed to be, what, a 6' tall man? (6'/1' 1/6th). Wouldn't 6' = 72", 72"/18" (1/18th) = 4".

So according to the rules of scale, if we are saying 12" figures are correct, the new Joes @ 4" would be MORE accurate to 1/18th scale than the old 3 3/4" inch Joes.

I'm starting to think it's the diecast manufacturers who are making things too small.

Ideas?

Wild weasel

needs killer whale parts!
Jun 9, 2011
Diecast is small, but thats not scale wise. The seats weren't designed to hold figures, so they may be too tall, or to far forward. The interiors were designed to look the part, notbe the part. The seats also can't compress(same with our figures) down to fit. Add to that that diecast cars have a thick body, making the interior more cramped.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
That's a good point, we squish and compress a lot differently than plastic people for sure.

It just feels to me that it's not the figure size that's the problem, by the math they are the correct size for "tallish" people in real life.

Wild weasel

Jun 9, 2011
another thing, people have better articulaion :) I think most of us use small sports car size cars for our figures, which are really small, and are usually fairly difficult or us to get in, making our scale buddies near impossible to get in. It'd be easier with something, like say a hummer.

PFunk

Enlisted
Mar 16, 2011
I've been trying to figure how to get guys into larger diecast vehicles, but the size seems to make no difference, there's always an obstacle. I've got a Ford F-150 I'm trying to work with, but we'll see.

SunStar makes a cool Subaru Impreza WRC rally car that has a cut-down dash that might make it easier to fit a figure in, but it would take some work.

I even bought a 21st Century Humvee that was MADE for 1:18 figures and you can only get folks to fit in the front seats, the back seats are useless, so sometimes even the vehicles we are offered don't get it completely correct.

Wild weasel

Jun 9, 2011
too hokey IMO Looks cheap and made of wood, and everything is squared off. The narnia castle is better if you ask me

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
The thing with Joes is that there are way too many 6' plus "people" running around.

I don't have any 1:18 cars, but i do have motorcycles and they tend to be small for the male figures, but the females seem to look alright on them. I imagine female and Marvel Universe figures fit better than Joes, with their bloused trousers and holsters.

Back to the 21st Hummer, again, perfectly scaled, they failed to take in account figures being plastic. At least it's not like G.I. Joe vehicles, where this 4" figure is crammed into this tiny cockpit. And while looking at it online I'm convinced I can get a 1:18 figure into a '32 Ford 3-window coupe, I'm sure once I'd have it in person the story would change.

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
With the 21rst Century ones the scale has to be off a little bit because the rear seats are flat on the floor. I will just pop the torso's off and stand the body on the seat if using FOV or bbi figs if I need to show 4 passengers.

Now the Corp truck is fabtabulous. No cramming. Go get yourselves one. paint it and switch guns. I love mine especially after the latest dio I did.

Die cast vehicles are so disappointing. Interiors look so cool but you can't even get Tunnel Ratt in them. Errr

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Again, not meant for figures. 1:18 diecast guys don't have little men standing around their cars. ;)

The Ewokhunter

Crazyass Cracker
Mar 14, 2011
thingsatwistedewokwouldsay.blogspot.com
too hokey IMO Looks cheap and made of wood, and everything is squared off. The narnia castle is better if you ask me

you're looking at it wrong. knock off those pointy roof tips and add something like this to them

and you got yourself a AL Qaeda hideout

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Now the Corp truck is fabtabulous. No cramming. Go get yourselves one. paint it and switch guns. I love mine especially after the latest dio I did.

Why would I buy a Ford when I want a Dodge? I get why you like it, but no amount of repainting or new guns is going to make me want one.

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I hear you KT on the diecast. Just one of those wish list things when your into 1:18 scale in general and want to use all you can together for dios. It just sucks when you have to use them empty.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I hear you KT on the diecast. Just one of those wish list things when your into 1:18 scale in general and want to use all you can together for dios. It just sucks when you have to use them empty.

I certainly see where you're coming from. Practically any car I'd buy in 1:18 isn't gonna have a figure to go with it anyhow, so it's not so much an issue for me personally.

I ever get my hands on a 1:18 '86 Testarossa, though, Chuckles' ass is going in it, one way or another.

Wild weasel

Jun 9, 2011
3.75 X 18= 67.5 67.5 / 12 = 5ft. 6.25 in.
4 X 18 = 72 72 /12 = 6 ft.
average height of men in the U.S. is 5ft. 9.25 in.(from 2003 to 2006)
That gives us an idea of how our figures are scale-wise

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
So Beach Head is a little guy and Duke or Dusty are tall guys

YT1

NO LONGER A MEMBER
Mar 15, 2011
I even bought a 21st Century Humvee that was MADE for 1:18 figures and you can only get folks to fit in the front seats, the back seats are useless, so sometimes even the vehicles we are offered don't get it completely correct.

Having spent a lot of my younger years crammed into military Humvees, I can tell you they were designed by sadists.

PFunk

Enlisted
Mar 16, 2011
Having spent a lot of my younger years crammed into military Humvees, I can tell you they were designed by sadists.

Buddy of mine that was a cav scout stole a City of Fort Worth manhole cover and welded it to the underside of his.