M1A1 Abrams Main Battle Tank (TUSK II) Upgrade

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
That certainly looks like an awesome improvement on the original! Not sure about the investment though. That's a lot of cheddar. Is that a kit (you add) cost, or a how to/what it costs?

YautjaClanLeader

Sep 2, 2018
Tampa, FL
You should be able to get a Bradley far cheaper than $189!! I've seen them on eBay in the $20-$50 range. You don't need MIB either since you're gonna be doing all sorts of stuff to it.

There are cheaper ones, but they are missing parts I can't find replacement parts for.

That certainly looks like an awesome improvement on the original! Not sure about the investment though. That's a lot of cheddar. Is that a kit (you add) cost, or a how to/what it costs?

Those prices are all kits from Shapeways. I'm gonna consult with Picklhaube first and see if he can do it cheaper.

YautjaClanLeader

Sep 2, 2018
Tampa, FL
So I've changed the thread to be about the TUSK II Abrams MBT. Main reason is cost. The initial vehicle cost is higher, but the 3D printed upgrades are much, much cheaper. Thus the overall cost is much, much less. Im excited to say I pulled the trigger. Once I've finished my molded upgrades and paint scheme, these are the decals I've elected to apply!

Screenshot_20200823-140034_eBay.jpgScreenshot_20200823-140056_eBay.jpg

P.S. - yes, the decals are in scale.

• Fire
Reactions: Sgt301 and eldraco3

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Looks very cool! Only question I have is why the extra APU hanging off the back? I thought those had all been moved onto the back of the turret on the A2s and beyond.

Reactions: YautjaClanLeader

YautjaClanLeader

Sep 2, 2018
Tampa, FL
Looks very cool! Only question I have is why the extra APU hanging off the back? I thought those had all been moved onto the back of the turret on the A2s and beyond.

My story is that this was an earlier M1A2, which ended up keeping it. Despite getting the turret mounted one anyway. Government redundancy!

Reactions: Sgt301

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Ah, that's plausible. It's just that the Abrams has a big rear end anyway, and the Tusk being an urban warfare upgrade, you'd think priority would be on making it as maneuverable as possible in tighter spaces.

Reactions: YautjaClanLeader

YautjaClanLeader

Sep 2, 2018
Tampa, FL
Ah, that's plausible. It's just that the Abrams has a big rear end anyway, and the Tusk being an urban warfare upgrade, you'd think priority would be on making it as maneuverable as possible in tighter spaces.

This one is one that had served in Iraq/Syria, before being shipped to the Pacific theater for a conflict with the PLA and quickly repainted from desert flat tan to what you see now. As such, it still has the TUSK upgrades, but shouldn't have much to worry about in a tropical island environment.

YautjaClanLeader

Sep 2, 2018
Tampa, FL
The Tank Urban Survival Kit (TUSK) was developed to improve survivability and situational awareness when operating in the close confines of a city. Introduced in 2006, the TUSK’s (in one form or another) found their way to all tanks fielded in Iraq by 2008.

The TUSK includes add-on explosive reactive armor fitted to the side skirts and turret, and slat armor to the hull rear. These enhancements provide protection against RPG rounds. There is also a full length slab of spaced armor mounted to the hull underneath the tank to better protect the crew from IED threats and mines.

Other improvements include additional defensive grenade/smoke dischargers, armored glass shielding for the vehicle commander and loader when manning their respective machine guns, and a new remotely controlled 12.7-mm machine coaxial gun & accompanying spotlight fitted over the main gun. This machine gun is a counter sniper weapon. It fires single rounds or in full-auto mode and is aimed using the main gun. A third machine gun station sporting a 7.62-mm gun with armored glass and thermal sights has been added to the turret.

To improve situational awareness, the TUSK provides the commander with a 360 degree camera monitor within the turret, and the driver’s station is fitted with a new safety seat and rear vision camera. Nearby infantry can communicate with the tank commander via an infantry phone attached to the rear of the vehicle. Together, all active versions of the Abrams tank (M1A1, M1A2 or M1A2 SEP) equipped with this kit have become even more lethal to the enemy, regardless of where they are encountered.

Reactions: Sgt301 and eldraco3