Unimax: Gamestars - Ghost Recon Action figures

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
So after reading through the thread on the new GI NINJA JOE action figures and realizing Hasbro has lost sight of what American action military heros are I decided to start this thread.

I don't play video games, but think they are cool as shit, just never had the time or maybe afraid I would never leave the couch. I don't know, but I will say after watching some trailers on this Ghost Recon game I'm hoping Unimax will hit a home run with the figures for this.

I imagine the articulation will be somewhere between the current military figs and the newest Crysis line. Works for me.

I would imagine every gamer will want figs even if they don't collect them like we do.

Any ideas on what these would look like? I would imagine there are characters to this game/story?

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Don't think they showed any pics at TF2012 yet.. which is weird since they're supposed to be out this year (Along with Starcraft II..).

It's FUTUREsoldier stuff.. so I imagine a mix between Bravo Team and Crysis is about right.

Hopefully we get some OpFor figures (Not sure if it's the Ruskie's, ChiCom's, or TerribleTurbans) out of the equation though! Unimax made WWII Germans before (Unlike BBI) so there is a precedent for "bad guys" from them at least, but I imagine a lot of it will depend on Ubisoft and what they want on the shelves.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Look up Ghost Recon Future Soldier to get a feel for what these will probably look like. You like to do that near future thing so they may be right up your alley.

Personally I think a lot of us would find S.T.A.L.K.E.R. figs a little more useful.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Personally I think a lot of us would find S.T.A.L.K.E.R. figs a little more useful.

Assuming the figure line was less buggy than the PC game :D

I still think we have a half-decent shot at getting modern day bad guys, in the previous GR games the bad guys were always normal bad guys, with the Ghosts being more advanced.

It'd be wonderful if they did vehicles too..

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I'd want them just for Russian small arms and gas mask-clad heads.

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA
So after reading through the thread on the new GI NINJA JOE action figures and realizing Hasbro has lost sight of what American action military heroes are I decided to start this thread.

Easy there, Rick. If GIJOE had stayed true to the "real" military fighting man, I'm sure we'd have all kinds of everyday, boring, no-named military characters to play with. Not that I wouldn't want "real" military figs, 'cause I'd love to have them. However, GIJOE toys are based on the comics, so we're going to see elements from those stories = Ninja stuff.

The other thing is... well... because I'm trying to understand all the recent negativity towards Hasbro/JOE...

Only now has Hasbro lost sight? Are you frickin' kidding me? Seriously, I'm just asking. So because this movie looks to have a more prominent Ninja theme, Hasbro has "lost sight"? Hasbro hasn't made anything "real" since they first introduced the 80's Joes. Why now?

Hasbro is making toys for the universe they created, done deal. We can't expect them to carry the burden of every single one of our wants, as surely not one of us would ever truly be satisfied. Besides... they are not the only toy company out there.

Here's an idea. Contact Unimax about adding a few more points of articulation to their Bravo Team line, and then expanding on the line while they're at it. I'd be willing to bet serious cash, that if those figs had JOE style joints... Unimax would be a fuck lot more rich. And I'd be a broke-ass fool.

BTW, Rick... none of this is personal towards you, so please take no offense. I've been reading waaay too much bullshit over at the 'tank, from a bunch of nerdy, whiny, "why can't I get exactly what I want, screw everyone else" douche-bags. Seriously... :wtf: is wrong with people?

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Only now has Hasbro lost sight? Are you frickin' kidding me? Seriously, I'm just asking. So because this movie looks to have a more prominent Ninja theme, Hasbro has "lost sight"? Hasbro hasn't made anything "real" since they first introduced the 80's Joes. Why now?

For me, since I end up cutting and painting every figure I open now.. the fact that they are taking features away from their design is where I think they've "lost sight". Obviously its for cost concerns, and that is what it is, but I also think its a dangerous precedent.. if the toys still manage to sell (It's a movie line after-all, could happen!), then the big wigs upstairs will think "Hey, we can save money AND make money!" and then we'll never get our great figures again, which would suck.

Now, the more rational side of me is bummed that there is less I want to buy (Even from a customizing standpoint) from this movie than I had anticipated, but odds are things will even out towards the end of the movie line/after the movie line and we'll all continue on our merry way. I have plenty of fodder crap to last me 12 months at least.. and eBay is just a click away!

As for them losing sight on being "A Real American Hero", well, like Obi said, that happened a long time ago, and is never coming back, except in rare homages and anniversaries I feel. This is why I enjoy customs so much, I can make my nameless, and thank-less, any-man soldier and define them as I want them to be defined.

Hasbro is a company beholden to their shareholders and no one else, do not think for a minute anything different.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I'm not so much pissed about the ninjas, (hey, be thankful they don't look like the '92-'93 Ninja Force stuff) as I am about the single carded figure articulation hits. I can make better "common soldiers" than Hasbro, and if it actually ever gets to retail all I need is NV's helmet to make a "PoC" that suits me a hell of a lot better than a 25th homage.

Ankle swivels, double knees, neo wrists are all important. The wrists especially to anyone that's ever held firearms. The only figures that perhaps shouldn't have them are females and that's only until they figure out how to shrink the joints.

Another thing is the parts reuse and just general low quality of the rehashes. Astounding amount of reuse for a movie line. It's like the infamous Super Powers and Return of the Jedi-to-Robing Hood: Prince of Thieves episoide.

I knew the vehicles were gonna suck, and I long ago moved on to bigger and better vehicle things, but they've taken a complete step back. I may have been coned into a vehicle purchase for a really well done driver, but ah-ha, it's 1978 again and our figures can hug and sit down but nothing inbetween.

I can equate all this to a car analogy. Imagine how dissapointing it would be to find out the new Mustang (or Camaro, or 911, or Evo) came with drum breaks, an unpressurized radiator and no power steering, all for a nice little price mark-up.

But they're gonna include a big clunky record player as an accessory!

It's just a lot of little dissapointments and shite decisions. About the only way it gets worse is if we crack them open and they're made of that terrible rubber they use on the MU figures.

Last edited:

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Easy there, Rick. If GIJOE had stayed true to the "real" military fighting man, I'm sure we'd have all kinds of everyday, boring, no-named military characters to play with. Not that I wouldn't want "real" military figs, 'cause I'd love to have them. However, GIJOE toys are based on the comics, so we're going to see elements from those stories = Ninja stuff.

The other thing is... well... because I'm trying to understand all the recent negativity towards Hasbro/JOE...

Hasbro is making toys for the universe they created, done deal. We can't expect them to carry the burden of every single one of our wants, as surely not one of us would ever truly be satisfied. Besides... they are not the only toy company out there.

Here's an idea. Contact Unimax about adding a few more points of articulation to their Bravo Team line, and then expanding on the line while they're at it. I'd be willing to bet serious cash, that if those figs had JOE style joints... Unimax would be a fuck lot more rich. And I'd be a broke-ass fool.

BTW, Rick... none of this is personal towards you, so please take no offense. I've been reading waaay too much bullshit over at the 'tank, from a bunch of nerdy, whiny, "why can't I get exactly what I want, screw everyone else" douche-bags. Seriously... :wtf: is wrong with people?

None taken.

I understand they are following the comic, which is what I should have reffered to. The brand and story line is what I'm not buying into or have resisted.

For me I try to find realistic military figs and could care less which brand provides it. Outside of Unimax which is very boring, JOEs have been it and the recent waves alloowed me to use their figs, which I think were great for the most part.

In doing so I've found myself gettig into the brand and will most likely find the new movie entertaining.

I just find the excuse of costs keeping them from doing better articulation a bit silly. I kind of agree with the person that said they should cut back on the springloaded weapons which we all know kids love but lose the projectiles in the first week of ownership.

I'm stuck in no mans land. Not a true JOE fan, but I appreciate their products, so I try to keep my feelings and comments to a minimum since I'm not a true fan.

It would be nice if the Gamestar has some bad guys.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
For me I try to find realistic military figs and could care less which brand provides it. Outside of Unimax which is very boring, JOEs have been it and the recent waves alloowed me to use their figs, which I think were great for the most part.

Let me apologize on their behalf for making figures of, you know, what soldiers actually look like. :wtf:

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
Also to the Hasbro argument above - Hasbro didn't write the movie script and likely didn't get involved much if at all in character design - you can blame them for not making movie accurate sculpts if you want (and for the articulation issue) but the preponderance of ninjas isn't really their doing.

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Let me apologize on their behalf for making figures of, you know, what soldiers actually look like. :wtf:

:wtf: Are you refering to the Unimax comment? To clarify that a bit because I was in a rush to go to work.

Boring because there is real distinction like bbi or what Our Wars at least attempted. There's no medic, no Radio man, sniper, Squad leader, newer head sculpts, maybe a spec op figure here or there. Or hey, how about a new vehicle, boat or bird? They seem to be using just the same figures and swapping parts around. They do give them a few different configurations with loadouts and pouches, but their outdated.

We're never going to get exactly what we want from any of them, that's why we customize, but it's always nice to have newer updated stuff to work with.

So KT you don't have to apologize for anyone.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Somebody needs to realize how much cash could be made by producing Battlefield and Modern Warfare figs. Done right at 1:18 (similar to PoC articulation) they could get support from gaming people, Joe fans and customizers. All you'd need are the four basic specialties for both the US and Russian factions (I'm talking for BF3, not really sure about MW3, haven't played enough to know) in a variety of colors/camos (just like the game) and modular weapons kits (you buy the guns you like and the attachments you like). They could produce them based solely on the popularity of each in the game (demographics already exist). Produce a bunch of extras sporting basic modern camos for customizers/Joe fans (they'd make some awesome greenshirts/blueshirts). They'd sell... a lot...

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
And then there's a huge vehicle potential with the BF figs. Who wouldn't love a 'Hog, T-90, Havok, Viper (AH-1Z), BMP, F-35 etc.? Obviously, these would be down the road if the profits from the figs could support their development. BBI could jump on this since they already have the molds for the Abrams, LAV, Little Bird and Hornet.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
:wtf: Are you refering to the Unimax comment? To clarify that a bit because I was in a rush to go to work.

Boring because there is real distinction like bbi or what Our Wars at least attempted. There's no medic, no Radio man, sniper, Squad leader, newer head sculpts, maybe a spec op figure here or there. Or hey, how about a new vehicle, boat or bird? They seem to be using just the same figures and swapping parts around. They do give them a few different configurations with loadouts and pouches, but their outdated.

We're never going to get exactly what we want from any of them, that's why we customize, but it's always nice to have newer updated stuff to work with.

So KT you don't have to apologize for anyone.

I think we can almost assume Unimax's military division is in The Corps! mode.

Your team role gripe is remedied by accessories.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Oh, I thought for a minute they would have put up actual proto pics and not just the character models.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
You'd think they'd use all these 1:18 lines as a perfect vehicle to move their Bravo Team vehicles..

You'd think. I reckon it's ture that 1:18 figure popularity doesn't translate to vehicles.

I imagine there's still some out there hoping that Stryker materializes.

Dr Syn

humerus
Mar 27, 2011
Shoot, hope that doesn't mean it's dropped.

they didn't have any new figures to display, just card backs for Starcraft, Assasin's Creed Redemption and the Dragon's Dogma/Asura's Wraith sets.

They did have posters/banners and Ghost Recon was on one of them.

Also on a note, when they announced the 3 news sets/series n January they also announced they're doing Assassin's Creed 3 figures.

Which was recently revealed to be set in America from the 1750s till sometime in the 1780s. So get ready for a 1/18 George Washington, Red Coats and Native Americans.

It's the closest we'll get to a Last of the Mohican's Toyline.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Which was recently revealed to be set in America from the 1750s till sometime in the 1780s. So get ready for a 1/18 George Washington, Red Coats and Native Americans.

It's the closest we'll get to a Last of the Mohican's Toyline.

This news intrigues and pleases me. Cracked Bone may get some buddies, or at least a weapon upgrade.

Last edited:

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
So with the JOE line floundering I wonder if there is any update on Ghost Recon. The latest Game Star figs are meh.

snakeling

not an actual member
Mar 15, 2011
I've been a GR fan since the early 2000s, I'm all for this but SK Omega already tried and failed to launch. So while I do agree with you I'm still sceptical. And even if they do get made will they be on a par with the CORPS or Joe or something even better??

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I dunno what's going on with them. There was nothing visual on them at Toy Fair, and they were announced well in advance of the game. I have to thing an unreconcilable hitch has occured and that we aren't gonna get them.

SK Omega was a totally new IP trying to get started. Unimax is an established company with several toy lines under it's belt. It's quite a different situation.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Unimax made Red Faction figures for goodness sakes! Talk about a game that didn't need figures... I could see Assassins Creed deserving figs.. but RF? Hmm. And to think the Ghost Recon figs didn't make it.. I bet licensing issues.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
That would be my thinking.

It;s a damn shame, too. Unimax has a knack for military figures.

BL4CK5H33P

99 probs - don't be #100
Jul 24, 2011
Kansas City, Missouri (misery)
Ankle swivels, double knees, neo wrists are all important. The wrists especially to anyone that's ever held firearms. The only figures that perhaps shouldn't have them are females and that's only until they figure out how to shrink the joints.

Hasbro has already done "shrunken" super-articulated wrists... some of the Clone Troopers have a smaller design... they piss me off b/c a lot of their good stuff doesn't make it into all of their toylines...

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I don't collect SW so that news to me!

Hasbro should go to the Joe articulation across all their 1:18 lines.

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
the Red Faction figs suck. Saw one the other day. Floating around the store.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
They're just figures of uninspiring character designs. Bad choice in license to persue.