[1:18 diorama] battle in the jungle (Guadalcanal,1942)

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Very cool. Both my grandfathers were in the Navy. One didn't see much action, as he was young and joined up about 6mo before the end of the war.

The other was in the south pacific on a warship. He was in the engine room when the ship was torpedoed. Their instructions were to always wear gloves down there, and he and one other guy were the only ones doing so at the time, and as a result, they were the only two to escape alive (no one else could grip the red-hot ladders). He was burned so badly that they thought he was dead. Afterward, they had the deceased laid out on the deck for "burial at sea" when someone noticed his toe twitch, and that's the only reason he wasn't thrown overboard. WTF. That was a tough as hell generation if there ever was one.

tflenno

Oct 16, 2020
Very cool. Both my grandfathers were in the Navy. One didn't see much action, as he was young and joined up about 6mo before the end of the war.

The other was in the south pacific on a warship. He was in the engine room when the ship was torpedoed. Their instructions were to always wear gloves down there, and he and one other guy were the only ones doing so at the time, and as a result, they were the only two to escape alive (no one else could grip the red-hot ladders). He was burned so badly that they thought he was dead. Afterward, they had the deceased laid out on the deck for "burial at sea" when someone noticed his toe twitch, and that's the only reason he wasn't thrown overboard. WTF. That was a tough as hell generation if there ever was one.
How lucky your grandfathers are! Please accept my sincere respect to your grandfathers!