1:18 J-11

Psycho Joe Guy

Enlisted
Mar 5, 2013
Whatever became of the JSI J-11? Wasn't there also an F-15E planned, too? ...or are my drugs just THAT good?

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
In JSI limbo right now.. no new news.. though supposedly a "new" 1:18 "JET" is going to be announced sometime soon.. so here's hoping!

Thinking is it's going to be a F-4 maybe, but the F-15 is a possibility too.

Psycho Joe Guy

Enlisted
Mar 5, 2013
What's going on with JSI? How do they relate to other 1:18 makers? Are the few 1:18 makers out there now just using old 21st Century molds? Who IS left out there making 1:18 aircraft?

I have two Tomcats (I love that plane.) and aside from the plastic breaking on the gear doors, love them. Even the supposed "weak" gear on my ostrich Cat hold it up just fine, but the damn door hinges broke, not the compound forward doors, the straight rear doors. I glued them shut and bought one of those plexiglass display stands off eBay, and like that really well, but it sucks to pay so much money for such a badass huge model and then it breaks at nothing.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
JSI and BBI are really the only players left in the game at this point for the traditional store-bought military 1:18 experience.

JSI just re-released a 21st Huey Hoghead model that they'd been sitting on for a while, so they are still getting products out, but it seems like it's around 1-2 per year lately.

BBI re-released the F-16, the F/A-18, and then the 'new' Blackhawk in the past couple of years, along with some WWII stuff. Nothing huge, but at least it's something.

The prices are all jacked up though, the manufacturers are not quite at eBay prices but damn near close. That's the market though..

Unimax occasionally has their Bravo Team stuff show up.. but I am not sure what they're doing with that property since I don't see them at Target anymore.

Psycho Joe Guy

Enlisted
Mar 5, 2013
I've read about the 21st bonanza that supposedly happened at Walmart in 2005, but the only things my area ever got were the WWII planes, which I have no interest in, and the occasional MiG-15.

As for my desires/tastes, I've seen the BBI F-16 and F-18 online: not my thing. I don't like either plane enough to dedicate the space those models would require, which to be honest, aren't that impressive, not to mention the cost. I've also seen that JSI Huey. They can keep it. The only 1:18 helos that have impressed me are the old 21st Super Cobras, and they're fragile as hell. Call me weird, but if I wanted a Blackhawk, I'd get the cheap PTE one. I had the new version of the PTE Chinese Z-9 where they dropped the TOW pods and the wings (ironically it's still called the "Aerial Rocket Helicopter") so I got rid of it. I'm not much for tanks, but I do like their T-99.

I have on RARE occasions, seen Bravo Team at Target, but its always the same Humvee. One Super Target also gets Elite Force BBI figures in, but they're gone in a couple of weeks and they're usually priced even worse than GI Joe ($16 each the last time I saw them).

I guess with the economy in the shitter, it's to be expected, and I pity any manufacturer who has to deal with Walmart and their cutthroat buying policies. They've got Hasbro over the barrel and those guys aren't the least bit concerned about quality compared to 1:18 model/toy makers.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
As for my desires/tastes, I've seen the BBI F-16 and F-18 online: not my thing. I don't like either plane enough to dedicate the space those models would require, which to be honest, aren't that impressive, not to mention the cost. I've also seen that JSI Huey. They can keep it. The only 1:18 helos that have impressed me are the old 21st Super Cobras, and they're fragile as hell. Call me weird, but if I wanted a Blackhawk, I'd get the cheap PTE one.

You asked for it. :weirdo:

Bet you have a lot of tiny Joe aircraft?

Psycho Joe Guy

Enlisted
Mar 5, 2013
You asked for it. :weirdo:

Bet you have a lot of tiny Joe aircraft?

Actually, the smallest Joe aircraft (not counting the FANG or CLAW) I have is the Stellar Stilleto. I somehow ended up with four X-19's (two are complete: my original I bought as a kid that was missing parts out of the box and another I bought years later to use as a parts donor. I have NO idea where the others came from seriously!) Three ARAH Skystrikers (a dozen new ones) and four Conquests. I also have a complete Tomahawk I got in trade at a show last year and my Mamba from back in the day.

I DO, however, have about 50 (honestly never counted) or so diecast fighters, mostly 1:72 Tomcats (Dragon, Witty, Century Wings, Revell De) but there are a few Vipers of various liveries, a lone East German MiG-29 and quite a few variations on the Su-27/30/33. The coolest one is a 1:48 diecast J-11B (Su-30MKK) with working everything: slats, flaps, airbrake, landing gear that can deploy, a hinged radome and canopy and even vectoring exhaust nozzles that can be manually opened and closed- they're metal feathers just like a real nozzle. I've got a Century Wings Blackbird too. I also have some of the Motorworks 1:48 Tomcats I picked up cheap and lots of little Maisto planes.

I used to be a serious modeller when i was young and I want to get back into that and hopefully do some custom Joe vehicles as well. I have a 1:48 XB-70 and B-1B to tackle eventually. I never had much money as a kid, and what I did have I spent on paint and airbrush thinner, so I never needed to do drugs. I did rockets for awhile- I have a VERY cool story about an RF-4C and and one of my rockets. (Model rocket flameproof sanding sealer is EVIL BTW. A druggie buddy of mine huffed it once and it knocked him out and he had a seizure.)

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I hoped in vain that Hasbro would do the Renegades H.I.S.S. and simultaneously redeem themselves as competent toy vehicle manufacturers and turn the H.I.S.S. into something that wasn't a joke.

I'm still disappointed the only truly good H.I.S.S. design remains unrealised in toy form.

Psycho Joe Guy

Enlisted
Mar 5, 2013
It had its flaws but the HISS v5 is pretty damn cool IMO, and not that far from the Renegades version. I wanted the whole Renegades vehicle assortment: the Coyote, the jeeps, Wild Bill's fucked-up looking choppers, and most importantly, Major Bludd's Deathcar/Thundermachine. That Cobra Hind was badass, too. I love the A-team. I love GI Joe. I like Reese Cups. Renegades kicked ass for me!

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Goddamn Hasbro naming conventions. All these damn R-uhs.

I meant the Resolute H.I.S.S.:

But knowing Hasbro, it would be 60% too small, with 14 springloaded missile launchers and static brick track system.

Psycho Joe Guy

Enlisted
Mar 5, 2013
Goddamn Hasbro naming conventions. All these damn R-uhs.

I meant the Resolute H.I.S.S.:

But knowing Hasbro, it would be 60% too small, with 14 springloaded missile launchers and static brick track system.

I have to watch Resolute again! I don't remember THAT thing. AWESOME!!!!!!

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
I glued them shut and bought one of those plexiglass display stands off eBay, and like that really well, but it sucks to pay so much money for such a badass huge model and then it breaks at nothing.

Wait what?...for the 1:18th JSI Spotcat?

EDIT...nevermind...you said "stands"...somehow my kind read "case"

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Still think that Resolute HISS needs to be lower to the ground to slim it's profile.. but at least it doesn't have the stupid "pop up" gimmick.

And yes, the 1:18 jets are HUGE, but that's the whole point.

Personally I prefer helicopters over jets due to the size issue, but I appreciate the jets for what they are and would not want them to artificially make them smaller just because someone has child hands :D

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Yeah, I'd love to see the Reso HISS design built more like a traditional tank...put that center section down between the treads...obviously the treads would be spread out

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Still think that Resolute HISS needs to be lower to the ground to slim it's profile.. but at least it doesn't have the stupid "pop up" gimmick.

And yes, the 1:18 jets are HUGE, but that's the whole point.

Personally I prefer helicopters over jets due to the size issue, but I appreciate the jets for what they are and would not want them to artificially make them smaller just because someone has child hands :D

Helos are just more practical. You can take them out and get good shots of them. Not so easy with jets.

As for the Res H.I.S.S., I'd be fine with them losing the slanted track system altogether. The rotary gun on the front glacis can go, too.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Pretty cool except for the use of those shitty static tracks.

Psycho Joe Guy

Enlisted
Mar 5, 2013
The GOOD thing about the HISS "pop up" assembly chassis is that it lends itself to being transplanted to other vehicles fairly easily. As stupid as the "strike" concept is, I could see Cobra wanting it.