1:18 LAW Custom

Apache26

Enlisted
Feb 3, 2013

I'm producing this along with my work on the rucksacks. To my knowledge, this will be the first accurately scaled M-72A1 LAW in 1:18. But since it is the same body style as the current M-72A7 LAW, it can be used for modern Afghanistan inspired work as well.

I had this modeled to be placed under one of my rucksacks. If you'd like to see more on the packs, please visit my posting on military rucksack castings.

:drum:

Yes, it's a shameless plug. I think my progress reports are buried because no one notices that I am posting new stuff.

Your feedback is critical! Although I'm focused right now on Vietnam, I'm dedicated to bringing 1:18 gear into existence. Without your feedback then I'm just wasting my own money working on this!

Contraband

Controlled Substance
Mar 26, 2014
The link posted was totally not what I needed to see! I've never been there before,and It turned into several hours of Shapeways exploring! There is about 50things on there I'd buy if I knew what to do with the stuff!

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
The link posted was totally not what I needed to see! I've never been there before,and It turned into several hours of Shapeways exploring! There is about 50things on there I'd buy if I knew what to do with the stuff!

Don't do it! Just say no to dry pasta.

Contraband

Controlled Substance
Mar 26, 2014
Don't do it! Just say no to dry pasta.

^
I couldn't help myself..I found one specific guy/girl's work on there that is just amazing! I had to get a few figurines. Long before I started this hobby that's what I painted,and some of his figurine/sculptures are just breathtakingly awesome! Little pricy,but worth it if they're as nice as the renderings,spend some time painting&shading and I think they'll display nice...I can see myself buying everything he's designed over time if they are.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Christ, someone did the turret for the HMMVW Avenger. And an Ithaca M37.

Contraband

Controlled Substance
Mar 26, 2014
^
Is that a good thing? lol. There's a guy on there with 1:18 figurines&animals! fuggin bad ass snakes,gorillas,deer,straight jungle shit too,AND buck ass naked bitches!! Gotta love it! I'll recast what I bought,paint the cast,and post it up!

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
A turret with four Stinger missiles for your HMMWV? I.E. a real world Cobra Stinger 4x4? Shit yeah, it's a good thing.

And I have a MASSIVE hard-on for trench shotguns. If I was certain it would look factory-made after it was painted I'd drop the money for that print.

Contraband

Controlled Substance
Mar 26, 2014
^
I just got an email

" Thanks again for placing an order with Shapeways. Unfortunately, we are unable to manufacture one of the products in order "

Wtf? Seriously?

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Wait, I thought they weeded out unprintable items before they went in the stores?

Contraband

Controlled Substance
Mar 26, 2014
^
I placed the order at 2am? By 8am it was rejected,lol. It's still up! they removed only the first color/material choice...I'd try again in a different material,but it's considerably more expensive.

Idk,I'm new to this..very first order,only ordered that one item,..not promising.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
Wait, I thought they weeded out unprintable items before they went in the stores?

Nope.

When the artist uploads the file, it only checks for water tightness and shells as well as a quick size check scan. It's not until it gets loaded into the printing lab that it will get the in depth check by a lab tech.

Other things that happen. Shapeways runs with a lot of trial and error. Items I've made that printed perfectly no longer can be printed because they've changed their design rules to increase successful print rates, but they don't update these rules to previously uploaded designs. They're basically grandfathered until some poor sap tries to buy them.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
That sucks. If this stuff was a couple bucks I'd take a chance on some of it.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
^
I placed the order at 2am? By 8am it was rejected,lol. It's still up! they removed only the first color/material choice...I'd try again in a different material,but it's considerably more expensive.

Idk,I'm new to this..very first order,only ordered that one item,..not promising.

And they don't have any store options to take down old designs without individually going to each file and disabling it individually. It takes 5-10 minutes each file times 50-60 files.

It's only good if you just want cheap prototypes.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
If you say it's a headache I'll stay away, or limit it to that shotgun. I think I have to have one.

Contraband

Controlled Substance
Mar 26, 2014
^
the now default choice is the sparkly metallic plastic,but after it is the bright colors,and they're the same price as what I originally ordered. The puzzling thing is the only difference I see is I picked white. If it's not printable,idk why color would matter. I'll try again later. It's a pretty complex sculpt that's really two figures together..I bet that's the issue. If I ordered something more simple? we will see.

*** just ordered it in "Blue Strong & Flexable Polished" let's see what happens***

Last edited:

Contraband

Controlled Substance
Mar 26, 2014
Oh yeah, that would've made too much sense? lol. I thought I did,I even grabbed it!! here it is.

Sexy Girl-018 by xiaoxunyue2014 on Shapeways

Here's the artist/designer. He has this same chick prancing around in several poses..and a neat deer(although Walmart has some cool animals I've been eyeballing)

xiaoxunyue by xiaoxunyue2014 on Shapeways

I can't say I've ever painted a fully nude figure,or really ever wanted to,but I like this guys vision. :trollface:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
They couldn't print that? Huh. I could find a use for 'em. Not at $35 bucks, uses it has.

Last edited:

Contraband

Controlled Substance
Mar 26, 2014
^
I was a little surprised it's content was acceptable as well.

They couldn't print that? Huh. I could find a use for 'em. Not at $35 bucks, uses it has.

^
Really,it was pretty much to try something/a site I've never tried...It says it's just under 4" tall...I could half dip it in mold maker,and snag the head,snag the ass or big ol titties to graft on something,use it as a sculpting guide fore bare limbs,or collect the whole set,and have CC surrounded like a Hefner,but not at that price your right. There was a better pic of both sides too,idk where it went tho,I snagged it earlier,but it's prolly nsfw to post here.

Idk why it's not printable either. My guess,and it's a total guess,is the head dipped back on the front female,and would bridge material? then again I know absolutely nothing about 3D printing...**waits for falcone or Giga to enlighten**

You have a link to the weapon you mentioned.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I'll PM you. I feel bad for derailing Apache's thread, and to that end I'm definitely feeling the LAW, Apache.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
I'll PM you. I feel bad for derailing Apache's thread, and to that end I'm definitely feeling the LAW, Apache.

Yeah, it looks real nice and I would want them just to replace the stupid cartoon inspired ones in ARAH. His design was able to get a bunch of small details I couldn't do at the time when I modeled mine. I think the thing I look for whenever I see people make these type of ordinances is for it to be functional in how it's unfolded. Otherwise, it just becomes a diorama piece, or just a part of a backpack. It's the same for the M202 Flash.

I want to see these get made and for people to stop making modern flamethrower troopers because they don't really exist anymore. They use these types of weapons instead now. I believe there's a couple different LAWs based on the type of rocket it's packing.

This design also included a forward cap, which mine doesn't. The references I used didn't have one but that could be because I was using a lot of military surplus references and those are usually missing pieces on spent ordinance.

I also would like to know if the cord is separated from the body. I can't completely tell. The reason I ask is this piece will more than likely be incredibly fragile and might break in the manufacturing process. Also, I don't know but they might give you crap on the space between the cord and the body of the weapon and charge more for a more complex molding system. I'm not an expert and all of my information is second hand.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Yeah, it looks real nice and I would want them just to replace the stupid cartoon inspired ones in ARAH. His design was able to get a bunch of small details I couldn't do at the time when I modeled mine. I think the thing I look for whenever I see people make these type of ordinances is for it to be functional in how it's unfolded. Otherwise, it just becomes a diorama piece, or just a part of a backpack. It's the same for the M202 Flash.

I want to see these get made and for people to stop making modern flamethrower troopers because they don't really exist anymore. They use these types of weapons instead now. I believe there's a couple different LAWs based on the type of rocket it's packing.

This design also included a forward cap, which mine doesn't. The references I used didn't have one but that could be because I was using a lot of military surplus references and those are usually missing pieces on spent ordinance.

I also would like to know if the cord is separated from the body. I can't completely tell. The reason I ask is this piece will more than likely be incredibly fragile and might break in the manufacturing process. Also, I don't know but they might give you crap on the space between the cord and the body of the weapon and charge more for a more complex molding system. I'm not an expert and all of my information is second hand.

Ugh, figures with flamethrowers. Throwers were available in Vietnam, but the idea was outdated even in WWII. The FLASH replaced it in theory (yes, we need one in 1:18), but I'm not sure they ever saw combat use, or even if they're still in the inventory.

A telescoping LAW definitely opens a world of possibilities. Bazooka with a weapon that doesn't suck, AND the ability to carry a couple of more rockets with him for starters.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
I know the FLASH only saw combat in Commando.

I just wish I can get a modern Charbroil with some HEAT. I think in IDW's Hearts and Minds they addressed this only by mistakenly using Barbecue, the firefighter.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
There aren't many Joe characters that couldn't benefit from a real world weapon upgrade. I long for the day I can do a Flint or Falcon with something that isn't a SPAS-12, Benelli M4 or some Hasbro brand shotgun.

Apache26

Enlisted
Feb 3, 2013
Serious question. Does it slide apart?

No. Not yet at least. The modeler took the initiative to do the whole rocket separately before he "slid" it under the rucksack. After seeing how well he did on the tube, I asked for the file for the LAW separately.

Apache26

Enlisted
Feb 3, 2013
Don't worry about hijacking the thread. Any publicity is good publicity, right? I've been away for a few days in Austin and just got home.

Printability in Shapeways can be interesting. Between prototypes and paying my 3D modeler, I've sunk a pretty penny in these things. This is due in no small reason to getting Shapeways to print. It took us a couple of months to get the rucksack frames at the right thickness so it wouldn't snap during shipment. I print the prototype level ones to get the general idea and then I print a "Frosted Ultra Detail" version to cast.

Shapeways has a "print it anyway option". ALL of our models get flagged (at least in the cheapest prototype versions) and I have to force Shapeways to print. Even my successful print jobs were flagged. They are overly cautious, but we had to make some adjustments. I don't know if a customer buying from a Shapeways user store has the option of forcing them to print.

I'm amazed at the level of detail they can achieve, even with the prototype plastic. On my PRC-25, they got details on the frequency knobs and there are horizontal slats on the speaker. My new tropical rucksack printed out and the "lift the dot" fasteners on the XM-28 gas mask bags printed out!

As for the LAW, I haven't prototyped them. The sheet metal retaining strap will print as a part of the tube and right now, the carrying strap will print bunched up against the tube (as if it was packed away). That's just how the modeler made it so he could "slide" it into the pack. I HAVE NO DOUBT that Shapeways can print it at this detail as one piece and have it come out a very sturdy item. Making separate pieces is another thing entirely (as you know) and I'll have to look into it. That's why we make prototypes and why I'm posting progress on here - to see what will sell!

Last edited:

Apache26

Enlisted
Feb 3, 2013
I know the FLASH only saw combat in Commando.

I just wish I can get a modern Charbroil with some HEAT. I think in IDW's Hearts and Minds they addressed this only by mistakenly using Barbecue, the firefighter.

When I reported to my first unit in 2003 (2-8 IN, 2nd BDE, 4th ID), we had a closet full of inert M-202's. They were there as training aids, much as the inert LAWs would be, but no one had ever used them or knew what they were. Since 4th ID hadn't deployed since Vietnam, the division was full of old gear in the units' storage conexes and supply rooms that was off the books and had never been used. Much of it got chunked when they deployed to Iraq.

No, we never trained with the M-202's. I've read they were tested in Vietnam in limited numbers which led to their adoption. That was the end of their use.

Until I saw the inert ones in real life, I always thought they were a myth; something from Commando or some of the off brand Army toys I had as a kid. Not so.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I believe it was the XM191 that was tested in Vietnam, which lead to the FLASH. Not that it matters, they were likely never used.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
I think what lead to the FLASH not getting used was the volatility of the rockets and how they didn't seem safe to transport in combat. At least, I believe that's what I read a few years ago.

GiJoe4157

Enlisted
Aug 5, 2013

I'm producing this along with my work on the rucksacks. To my knowledge, this will be the first accurately scaled M-72A1 LAW in 1:18. But since it is the same body style as the current M-72A7 LAW, it can be used for modern Afghanistan inspired work as well.

I had this modeled to be placed under one of my rucksacks. If you'd like to see more on the packs, please visit my posting on military rucksack castings.

:drum:

Yes, it's a shameless plug. I think my progress reports are buried because no one notices that I am posting new stuff.

Your feedback is critical! Although I'm focused right now on Vietnam, I'm dedicated to bringing 1:18 gear into existence. Without your feedback then I'm just wasting my own money working on this!

Man, I've been under a rock somewhere! These 3D renderings are awesome! I will order that M-72A1 Law soon! The modern triple pack of Torch, Ripper and Buzzer are awesome! That 1/18 scale head of the brother with a beard a little bit of hair looks awesome too! Something else to spend my hard earned money on! This 1-18 Soviet ZSU-23-2 AA Gun is balls to the walls awesome! I felt like a little kid in a candy store looking at all this stuff!