1/18th Scale Mi-24 Hind Will Become A Reality !!!

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
All of the kits have shipped out at least 6 months ago.
I think most guys are waiting for me to start on the full builds so they fallow along.
To my knowlege YT is the only guy who has fully built and painted his.

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
I actually have a real update.

I have taken a copy of the color schemes and went down and enlarged them to 1/18 scale.

Before I started the HIND I ordered a vacuform helo body in kinda 1/18 scale.

Originally I was going to use rubber sheeting to make the camo template but considering the nature of the rubber I feared that when I took it off the model it would smudge the paint.

So I figured that I would use the vac shell as a hard template .

After 4 days here is what I got and I am still not finished.

Hopefully I will have it and the boom done enough to do a trail paint .

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
pickelhaube said:
Hmmm why is that UN Hind all blurry ?

Anyway the templates work perfectly .
I airbrushed some paint to check the edges and I am happy they way it tured out.
Nice and soft .
After I cut the temps I glued some rubber bands 1/8th inch tall and back from the edge.

Proof of concept.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I've not seen it for quite a while, but it's possible that they used visually modded non-Hinds (like they did with Red Dawn). The reality is that personnel carrying aircraft/helos are made to be as small as possible (lower weight and harder to hit), and even moreso when they combine the role of gunship with troop carrier. And it's not just theirs. Trust me, it's hazardous simply to be tall and board an Osprey or Chinook without a helmet.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I've not seen it for quite a while, but it's possible that they used visually modded non-Hinds (like they did with Red Dawn). The reality is that personnel carrying aircraft/helos are made to be as small as possible (lower weight and harder to hit), and even moreso when they combine the role of gunship with troop carrier. And it's not just theirs. Trust me, it's hazardous simply to be tall and board an Osprey or Chinook without a helmet.

Destroying my childhood one fact at a time. The first time I knew enough to pick out a movie fake was Private Ryan’s T-34 Tiger, not counting the obvious Top Gun Migs.

Turns out Robert shoots thru the doors not Rambo:

Rambo 2 & 3 is not the same bird as the Red Dawn one above and get added points for the machine gun rocket pods.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
  • NSA

NSA

I had no idea about the Tiger in Saving Private Ryan.. even looking at it now I guess I can kinda see it, but I was never a rivet counter so it didn't stand out to me.

I knew about the "Hinds" in Red Dawn and Rambo.. both are Pumas I guess, though it feels like they did more/better vismod work on the one in Red Dawn.

Still can't believe the Hind looked like this originally:

The Pumas, especially in Red Dawn, do a good job of conveying this look. Especially compared to the normal look we know and love. As a kid though, I guess I just kind of thought they were all the same, we didn't have Google to image search it!

I laughed how a RPG-7 just kind of annoys the Hind in Red Dawn, but a LAW straight up exploderates the Hind in Rambo.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
That's 'cause Robert pretty much just shot the door gunner/crew chief with the RPG and Rambo shot the pilot right in the face (which of course ignites all fuel and weapons aboard) :p... I sure hope those POWs exited the Huey before he shot that LAW or they likely got a nice sunburn out of it as well.

It most definitely sucks to have even a little roto/aircraft recognition and watch movies, particularly from back then.