2012 Battlepacks - 1977 Articulation

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
That's right, newly sculpted SW battle packs will have an astounding five (5) points of articulation. The Kenner gods would be proud.

http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/Probe_Droid_Limits_In_Articulation_144571.asp

Considering I found that number of POA to be horribly lacking when I was a wee lad, quickly choosing GIJoe over SW due to the vastly improved figures, thirty five years after their original release, these are the figures that nightmares are made of.

The ONLY good point I can see is that it will sooth the nerves of Joe fans that are distraught about reduced articulation in upcoming Joe vehicle drivers. While I fully admit that sucks donkey balls, the claim is often spouted about that such things would never happen to other lines, such as SW. I've probably typed it myself. But now Joe fans can take solace in that they are no longer alone in their inarticulate hell.

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
To be honest, the figures in the old looking packages should have had that articulation.

No kidding. If nostalgia is what they were going for they should have just made all the figures equally horrible to their original versions with no details, barely any articulation, a static pose that makes them look like they've got a stick up their ass while doing the robot dance, and charge those figures $20 each.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I disagree, in that I really like the modern figures in the vintage packaging. It's the best of both worlds. SW toys circa 1977 are waaaaaaay cooler in my head than they are in real life. When I see vintage MOC SW figures, I throw up in my mouth a little. They are HORRIBLE. They were much cooler when my brain was < 10 years old. The new "vintage" figures offer the same cool card art and a figure that either matches or surpasses the one in my mind's eye, i.e. the way they should have been. That's awesome.

Oddly, it doesn't work quite the same with Joe. I still love actual vintage MOC Joes far more than the modern equivalents. I fully admit the new ones are vastly superior toys, but for collecting/displaying, I'll take my vintage big-head o-rings any day of the week. Maybe my nostalgia for Joes is >> than my SW love.

PROVOST

Colonel in Chief
Officer Club
Jun 28, 2011
Terra Australis
2012 SW Hasbro wise has a LOT of pass for me.

So far I've gotten only the new CW Phase II Clones and then the deleted scene wave of TVC with the rest of my focus on 30th Joe or Marvel Universe.

All the repacked rubbish is just "Old wine in new wineskins"