21st/JSI Huey owners, get in here.

UH-1C armament upgrade kit?

• Yes

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Maybe, depending on price and/or what's included

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, "Hasbro" isn't stamped on the fuselage.

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters

Apache26

Enlisted
Feb 3, 2013
I'd dig these. I could use the rocket pods to retrofit my Cobra. I'm not going to do the "cut and extend" on my Huey C to get a Huey H. So the Sagami mounts are probably the best option for making a "not quite right" slick. I'd prefer the universal mount, but that would take up the whole side of the cabin in a C model. So until JSI does an H model, I'm stuck with my 21st C model "slick".

Psycho Joe Guy

Enlisted
Mar 5, 2013
Whoever votes that last one must forfeit membership...there is nothing for you to see here...move along...to HT

It's a trick question. Hasbro doesn't stamp anything on their vehicles anymore. They have officially trademarked crap to the point that only Chap Mei would attempt to counterfeit them, but would probably end up making something better by accident.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I'd dig these. I could use the rocket pods to retrofit my Cobra. I'm not going to do the "cut and extend" on my Huey C to get a Huey H. So the Sagami mounts are probably the best option for making a "not quite right" slick. I'd prefer the universal mount, but that would take up the whole side of the cabin in a C model. So until JSI does an H model, I'm stuck with my 21st C model "slick".

Could do a C and C bird. Doubt we'll be seeing an H, JSI or otherwise.

Apache26

Enlisted
Feb 3, 2013
Could do a C and C bird. Doubt we'll be seeing an H, JSI or otherwise.

My thoughts exactly. As much as I've begun to enjoy the creative process of modding, I know that "stretching" a 21st Huey by cutting up another will be a disaster. It's worthless speculation to wonder why on earth 21st didn't do a D or H model in the first place. It couldn't have been that much more expensive.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
A D or H is arguably more iconic, but in retrospect I'm glad to have the Charlie. No doubt, though, that a D or H would have made possible some VERY cool custom options.

Then again, 21st did the F-104 over any number of more recognizable Vietnam Era subjects.

Last edited:

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
A D or H is arguably more iconic, but in retrospect I'm glad to have the Charlie. No doubt, though, that a D or H would have made possible some VERY cool custom options.

Then again, 21st did the F-104 over any number of more recognizable Vietnam Era subjects.

RAGE!

Yeah.. I wish we could get in the mind of them when they were making their choices.

I want a UH-1Y if someone new ever gets in the game.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
A Yankee would be cool. Hell, I'd be happy with a November.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
UH-1H "Nighthawk", bitches. ;)

The only similarity between the B/C and the D/H airframe is the cabin forward of the front doors. Stretching the C by adding another section of C airframe will be some abortion of a helicopter thus ruining two perfectly good C model aircraft.

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
If this any consolation because of Merits reintroducing the Huey I will be doing the D version.

In time.

So now you only will have to cut up your $100 Huey , not your $200 Huey.

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
*throws things at pickelhaube*

What would be included in that surgery?

Going on a few years ago now Birddog gave me a CIA Huey to use as the sacrificial lamb for the d version.

My intentions at the time was to make 2 fusalage halves with glass .

Using everything else from your Huey donor.

Interior , cockpit , cargo, blades , tail etc.

It has been some time but I think that I needed to make new doors for the cargo area as well.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Need to extend the main rotors, too. WildBill is very much correct that it isn't just adding a section of cabin to a Charlie. The doghouse has to be extended, as does the tail boom. Plus the mentioned cargo doors, and the auxilary cabin doors, too. I also believe the skids are longer.

Anyhoo, talk of a D kit aside, it looks like 12 in favor of this proiject. Guess we'll have to wait and see what pickel wants to do.

Last edited:

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
We are getting ahead of ourselves but we can work out the details.

Rotor blades.

Would anybody really notice if the blades are the incorrect length ?
I guess I could always make extended tips to be glued on.

Tail boom .

The same thing but increasing the length would be an easy fix.
Possibly just an extending plug that can be attached to the new extended fusalage.

Skids

I have thought of this as well when I was looking into making the mod.

A quick fix would be to cut the center of the skid and use tubing of the correct diameter and splice them back together in the correct length.

I just can't remember the size difference in the skid but I think that it was about 1/2 to 3/4 inch difference in the models.

I would make the fusalage in halves just like a clam shell with the corrections made. Using the guts of the donor Huey for the interior.

Keep in mind that the more pieces parts that go into a mod raises the price of the mod.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Some would notice, some wouldn't. Plenty of guys can rattle off what percisely is wrong with 21st's Tiger I, while others really don't care. I suppose it would depend on if the short blades were terribly noticeable.

As for using the internals, I don't know if that's gonna work past the cockpit, for a number of reasons.

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
So....

It looks like the m-21 connection extension mini gun add on is what you guys want primarily.

Any other must have weapons system of the ones posted ?

The Huey D will be a go but there are a few projects ahead of it.

Mainly the K-2 and A-10 .

We are getting together to start the programming part of the A-10 project.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
The exposed seven-shot pods, which are technically part of the 21 subsystem, but to be honest I might as well be in for a penny as a pound.

I await the opinion of the others, but I say at least the rocket pod options, and the return of the sagami.

Or a TOW kit. :D

Last edited:

Apache26

Enlisted
Feb 3, 2013
PH, if you do a "D" I'll be first in line. I don't particularly care if there are slight irregularities in blade and tail length, although I think extending the skids is unavoidable. Whatever you decide to do, I'll be on board.

Say the word and I'll buy a JSI Huey for the sacrifice!

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Bring it on!

Curious what (or IF) JSI brings out next with the mold..

Since JSI is actually doing part of this, does anyone want to see the rest of the XM/M6 (quad M60Cs) and XM/M21 (M134s) for this thing? That would include the turret and guns, plus feed boxes and chutes. Maybe an XM9 (40mm grenade launchers) since we'd already have most of the required mount anyway?

Other options could include M3 24-tube "boxes", sagami mounts (yes, damn it, I want them done again) and an ammo drum and part of the feed system for the M5 grenade launcher.

What if I fronted at least some of the "start up" capital? Maybe NSA can pitch in some, if he's still interested in Huey stuff? :trollface:

Apache26

Enlisted
Feb 3, 2013
So I've been gone a long time in internet years...

All great ideas, but I still want an H model conversion.