A Deviant that doesn't suck..as bad. WIP

XOC2008

Caution: Troll Ahead!
Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
I know mechs aren't for everyone, but I liked the overall design of the Deviant/Steel Marauder.. though the implementation of it left much to be desired. The oversized launcher, the Deviant with.. a battering ram? I mean, come on.

Anyway, I stole the arms off the steel marauder, the missile launchers are Scrap-Iron's, the missiles themselves are from the Hammer, and the double barreled cannon is from a Fury.

Still a WIP, there's a lot I'd like to do to finish it off, but I'm going to have to wait on parts.

Comments/Critiques/Ideas welcome.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Not a mech fan, especially dismissive of the over-sized Japanese kind. I like what you did with the main gun, though in light of the release of STs an urban operations mech with a ram isn't so asinine.

XOC2008

Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
I think if the ram and grappling hook didn't look so much like.. well, shit, I probably wouldn't have minded them all that much. But they just looked out of place and had less motion available to them than the Steel Marauder had.

However, I wholeheartedly agree about the over-sized Japanese mechs.. lol. I prefer mine more Battletech style.

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
Not a mech fan, especially dismissive of the over-sized Japanese kind. I like what you did with the main gun, though in light of the release of STs an urban operations mech with a ram isn't so asinine.

You can't deny the power of a Gundam!

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I can't deny that the Japanese have huge size complexes.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
i like mechs personally...however, i haven't been a fans of Hasbros becuase mostly, to me, they look cheap, like toys (duh)...if you can get a nice realistic looking paint scheme on this, that'd go a long way in helping this thing be bada$$...

i do like where this is going...the added missile launchers look good up there for sure...as does the cannon arm...though i'm not feeling the straight arm claw thing...maybe if it had a mid-arm joint...it just needs something more articulated on that side...maybe rob a Transformer of its arm/hand?

XOC2008

Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
i do like where this is going...the added missile launchers look good up there for sure...as does the cannon arm...though i'm not feeling the straight arm claw thing...maybe if it had a mid-arm joint...it just needs something more articulated on that side...maybe rob a Transformer of its arm/hand?

The claw/arm is the next thing to find a solution for. I have a leader class brawl arm but it's really far too small to work, so I may have to find something perhaps in the realm of lego. Maybe Bionicle.. one of those might have an arm that would do better.

Dr Syn

humerus
Mar 27, 2011
I think if the ram and grappling hook didn't look so much like.. well, shit, I probably wouldn't have minded them all that much. But they just looked out of place and had less motion available to them than the Steel Marauder had.

However, I wholeheartedly agree about the over-sized Japanese mechs.. lol. I prefer mine more Battletech style.

I love both Battletech and the Real Robot genre (Gundam, Palabor, Landmates from Appleseed and Macross/Robotech).

Sadly, due to licenses. Cannot have the following Battlemechs anymore http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Unseen due to being borrowed from Japan etc.

Back to topic, Deviant needed better weapons, and XOC2008, you look to fix that rather well.

I also vote to change XOC2008's customs to something poolside related in the thread title.

XOC2008

Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
I love both Battletech and the Real Robot genre (Gundam, Palabor, Landmates from Appleseed and Macross/Robotech).

Sadly, due to licenses. Cannot have the following Battlemechs anymore http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Unseen due to being borrowed from Japan etc.

Back to topic, Deviant needed better weapons, and XOC2008, you look to fix that rather well.

I also vote to change XOC2008's customs to something poolside related in the thread title.

Hah! That area has the best lighting since it's in full sun all day. LOL.

XOC2008

Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
Updated:

Changed out the feet for the Steel Marauder's, changed the main gun and got rid of the claw arm, using the shell of it and enclosing the broken piece of the TBG.(I love my daughter.. but sometimes... *shakes fist*) Gave it a couple 'tusks' and drilled the holes for lights. All I need to do now is close up the hole on top of the main gun, prime, paint, and run the leds.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
good riddance claw :D

looks much better...not 100% on the "tusks" though...

get some paint on her,some wash/weathering and some GOOD lighted pics so we can see it man

XOC2008

Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
good riddance claw :D

looks much better...not 100% on the "tusks" though...

get some paint on her,some wash/weathering and some GOOD lighted pics so we can see it man

Pfft. Listen to you. 'I don't like the claw. I don't like the tusks. Your lighting sucks. Get a new camera.' Bitch, bitch, bitch. ;)

malcadon

H8ter4life
Mar 14, 2011
Pimpvile
I always like to see folks make something good of those designs. They only one set of weapon arms, and they have mounts for shoulder-mounted weapons, but nothing to go with it!

I have a Steel Marauder, but I'm not content with the design. I'm still trying to find ways and parts to improve it. I would rather paint the windows (like how the Ghost Hawk as an armored canopy in the new set), mount a head-like senor-pod at the top of the canopy, and mount back-up sensors on it's "chin" akin the the Apache sensor pod. I use a Resolute Duke as a pilot, but I would add a boxy HUD over the helmet, with colored wires coming out of it - simple fix. I need to find a way to equipment on its shoulder. I would add missile pods, mortars, howitzers, searchlights, anti-air guns, and such. I do not like the dinky little chain guns on the torso - I rather use that hub as a mount for modular equipment: anti-personnel mines, gatling gun with ammo bin, senor pod, and the like. Ideally, I would replace crow-toed feet with some sort of wheel assembly, like what is seen on Armored Trooper VOTOMs or Heavy Gear (HG makes more sense, as they have wheels in the toe and heal), as it would allow for rapid movement on clear ground. So far, the only thing I have done... was add a missile launcher from the Resolute set to the left shoulder.

Same here! I'm a huge real-robot buff. Of all the the Gundams that flooded the market, my top favorite is the 08th MS Team, as that show is fucking hard core!

Even with the Japanese designs and the "Project Phoenix" redesigns, and I'm still a big "Unseen" fan. I'm also anti-Clan, as I like the post-apocalyptic/dark age struggles of the Succession Wars. I don't reject all of it outright, as I use their tech as the base for the Star League era (the standard level I tech is just scratch-built stuff from the Succession Wars, while the updated level II tech is what was reversed engineered from that data-cache), and also I like Protomechs (but not so much the animal cracker designs used by the Clans).

XOC2008

Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
Also, the 'tusks' broke, alas. I was looking for a suitable replacement for the ram. I'm thinking about finding some way to mount the chaingun from the ghost hawk on there to replace at least one of the two chin guns.

malcadon

H8ter4life
Mar 14, 2011
Pimpvile
08th MS Team FTW! I enjoy 0083 just as much. Just that stupid forced love affair is dumb.

Love affair? Oh yeah! Its easily overlooked with all that sexy mecha-on-mecha action. :p

Stardust Memory was also awesome! That big-footed nuke-Gundam looked like it means business, in that yes-I-might-be-compensating-for-a-lot-but-I-dont-give-a-shit-as-I-got-this-rocket-up-your-ass-so-hold-on-tight-you-bitch sort of way. Is it wrong that I would totally sympathize with that Bernard (the asshole with the mustache) guy? :D

I missed those shows (when not censored over stupid shit), they need to play shit like them (but not the ones with that stupid high drama, head-fuck shit).

SR_501

Walfisch.
Mar 14, 2011
Love affair? Oh yeah! Its easily overlooked with all that sexy mecha-on-mecha action. :p

Stardust Memory was also awesome! That big-footed nuke-Gundam looked like it means business, in that yes-I-might-be-compensating-for-a-lot-but-I-dont-give-a-shit-as-I-got-this-rocket-up-your-ass-so-hold-on-tight-you-bitch sort of way. Is it wrong that I would totally sympathize with that Bernard (the asshole with the mustache) guy? :D

I missed those shows (when not censored over stupid shit), they need to play shit like them (but not the ones with that stupid high drama, head-fuck shit).

I wish they would redo the Original Gundam, In the style of 08th or 0083. I also wish Cartoon Network would bring them back and start running them at night.