A Photography Tutorial?

YT1

NO LONGER A MEMBER
Mar 15, 2011
Would someone be willing to do a photography tutorial? I have a decent camera but I have no idea how to get the settings correct. I would love to take more pictures but I get sick of fighting my camera!

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa
I'd read it! I have been told to adjust my white settings...but what that really means or how to do it.

thecorporation

Task Force 27
Jun 9, 2011
Redacted
Most camera's nowadays have auto settings that are pretty good, and they usually also have more specific settings that allow you to tailor. Definitely play those settings ( like indoor, outdoor, landscape, portrait, etc...) If you want to go more manual, the camera will still usually tell you what will work and what won't. Beyond that, it's just figuring out what you like and what looks good. Practice is everything.
For white balance, find an object that is white and take a picture of it. If it looks white, your balance is correct for that light. If it looks greyish or yellow, you need to adjust your balance up or down.
What it really comes down to is just getting out there and taking pictures. With the complexity and diversity of cameras and each brand and model having different settings, your best bet is probably finding a good book that is written specifically for your camera or taking a class. Sometimes you can find good info on your specific camera on youtube. Or just to get out there with your camera and start taking pictures. Mess with the settings and buttons until you figure out what does what. Trial and error is a great teacher.

snakeling

not an actual member
Mar 15, 2011
Yeah if you ask 10 different ppl you're gonna get 10 different answers. Anybody who has a different camera than YT1 will not be giving you any good advice. thecorp gave the best advice anyone could give you: just go and do it, play around till you get it right.