A riff on Recondo

TIE_FighterTK069

Enlisted
Oct 20, 2014
Back in Tucson, AZ!
I was sifting through the bags of parts I've been accumulating, working on that combat team, and was inspired to create a version of one of my favorite G.I. Joe dudes, Recondo.

I don't have the skills to make a dead accurate version, but I'm really happy with this riff on a modernized version of him that I put together... even if his mustache is a bit lopsided.

So, what do y'all think?

Topside

Disgruntled Goat
Aug 6, 2012
NYS- Finger Lakes
Parts choices are pretty good considering you were working from what you had on hand. 'stache ain't that bad but the Bob Costas and Forest Whittaker eyes are really distracting. Nice paint work on the pants and the pack.

TIE_FighterTK069

Enlisted
Oct 20, 2014
Back in Tucson, AZ!
Thanks, man! As for the eyes, I only painted the sloppy stash, the head was already done... I'm not a fan of the eyes either, but they're a damn sight better than I can do just yet :) I thought the hair was the worst bit, actually.
Here are a couple shots of him "in action"...

And here he is when I was mocking him up earlier:

Last edited:

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
Honestly, I've seen far worse eye work in the past. Your craftsmanship officially goes above Hasbro factory quality control standards.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Yup, Marauder's lame-ass M14 EBR.

He needs mag pouches, and webbing for that matter.

Apache26

Enlisted
Feb 3, 2013
Fuck No Snake!

Mustache with titties!

Can't believe that no one's said that yet.

TIE_FighterTK069

Enlisted
Oct 20, 2014
Back in Tucson, AZ!
Well, I stripped the paint off of Recondo's head... Time to see if I can do a better job painting him then whoever painted him last.

So far it isn't going very well, as the Model Masters doesn't seem to be adhering. Any recommendations or tips?

Topside

Disgruntled Goat
Aug 6, 2012
NYS- Finger Lakes
Well, I stripped the paint off of Recondo's head... Time to see if I can do a better job painting him then whoever painted him last.

So far it isn't going very well, as the Model Masters doesn't seem to be adhering. Any recommendations or tips?

Never had that problem with Model Masters, its always Tamiya that gives me trouble. I'm guessing that you washed and dried the head after you cleaned the paint off? Maybe mix a little of each- Tamiya Flat Flesh and MM Skin Tone Base Light.

TIE_FighterTK069

Enlisted
Oct 20, 2014
Back in Tucson, AZ!
Never had that problem with Model Masters, its always Tamiya that gives me trouble. I'm guessing that you washed and dried the head after you cleaned the paint off? Maybe mix a little of each- Tamiya Flat Flesh and MM Skin Tone Base Light.

Thanks, Top.
Yep, washed and rinsed thoroughly, and dried overnight before I tried painting it.
I've tried MM, Tamiya, and the regular Testor's acrylic... Let dry over night and all applications wipe away in parts when I tried washing or dry brushing. I've abandoned the head thinking I may have fucked it up when I stripped the paint off with acetone. Live and learn. Bummed, because it was a sweet head.
R.I.P. Recondo.

This body is now sporting a Kwinn head that I repainted to match skin tone and to add a goatee. Time to find something new for that awesome hat!