Badcat's "If I were a manufacturer"

dragon53

The Unwashed
Aug 12, 2011
From Badcat:

If I Were a Manufacturer . . .

The depth of knowledge required to be a production manager is something I find more than just a bit daunting. There are a plethora of variables to consider along with some really hairy mathematics. My one production course while working on my MBA only scratched the surface of this field and I would need considerably more education and experience before ever entering this arena. I’m just a marketing guy and retail is my bag, but here’s what my list might look like if I were to become manufacturer (don’t worry, I’m not). And by manufacturer, I mean I’d make 1:32 and 1:18 scale airplanes by hiring a Chinese factory to do the muscle work after providing them with a sample. Note my list takes into account scarce financial resources, as well as, potential popularity and sales. All of the planes below would be new toolings which are expensive to develop. There would be absolutely no wiggle room to take a gamble on a potential dud. So here are my sure-fire winners and why:

1. 1:32 Hellcat—Second biggest seller in 1:18 only behind the Corsair. Sells well in 1:72 and 1:48, too. Tooling and production costs reasonable. Would probably produce with non-folding wings. Low risk and high return potential. Not very flashy but my first choice as best chance to double-up.

2. 1:38 P-38—Another no-brainer. The 1:18 version of this bird has always had mild pop but strong legs making it an excellent seller over the long haul. Lots of great schemes means that this tooling could be used over and over again.

3. 1:18 Me-163—Still at the top of my 1:18 list due to both its 1:72 popularity and small size. The plastic MRC line we used to carry was rather unremarkable in performance save for the Me-163. These bats sold out almost as soon as they got here, time and time again. There’s also a remarkable number of schemes for S2 and S3. A small, very simple airplane to produce means reasonable production costs and an eventual retail price of about $100 or a little less which collectors will appreciate, too.

4. 1:18 Dauntless—Lots of interested folks signed-up for this piece before Admiral exited the playing field. The Dauntless is steeped in American history and turned the tide of the Pacific War. Only a little bigger than a P-51 the 1:18 Dauntless would have moderate tooling and production costs and I’ll go out on a limb and guestimate about $200K to generate the first 5000 units (a reasonable MOQ in today’s China). Lots of upside and I don’t think it would be too difficult to sell all of these.

5. 1:32 F/A-18E—The best selling modern fighter in just about any other scale. The Hornet would move here, as well. Another low risk, high return venture.

6. 1:18 F4F Wildcat—With USA WWII Navy fighters leading the way in 1:18 sales, it only makes sense that the Wildcat would be popular here. I’m a little concerned that the 1:32 version sold well but not great, as compared to its SBD cousin.

7. 1:18 Albatros—WWI, the undiscovered country, no one has ventured here yet but 1:18 birds from this era would be small and relatively economical to produce. The Albatros was flown by nearly every famous German pilot from Von R to Goering. The number of cool and outrageous paint schemes boggles the mind. Corgi’s 1:48 line are the leaders in high-end diecast, too. A good risk.

8. 1:18 P-39—Make a fighter with a nose gear, roll up car-like windows, and mid-engine and you have for yourself a plane that captures the imagination of many collectors. Big seller in 1:72 and 1:32, too. Great schemes means excellent amortization of the tooling investment.

9. 1:32 B-25 Mitchell—A little too big and costly for my mythical budget in 1:18, the 1:32 scale Mitchell would be affordable and could be modified for numerous variations, like Doolittle’s Raiders or the awesome late-war gunships.

10. 1:32 F-16 Falcon—Might not be the greatest example of production creativity but the aircraft is a solid performer in all other scales and lends itself to a wide variety of paint schemes.

Honorable Mention

1. 1:18 A-10 Thunderbolt II—I’m sorry, this project just doesn’t pencil for me. Looking at possibly $750K or more to yield 5000 units. A retail price upwards of $500 would not be received warmly. Might sell 1000 units in a good economy leaving the remaining 80% of the inventory sitting in the warehouse. A financial disaster waiting to happen, in my opinion. However, again, I’m not a production expert and maybe a REAL manufacturer will take this one on in real life. The A-10 has a host of loyal and vocal fans, I just don’t think there’s enough of them out there to buy what would be a very expensive toy.

2. 1:18 F-4 Phantom—Has even more upside than the A-10 in terms of popularity but high tooling and production costs make it a big gamble for a little guy.

3. 1:32 P-61 or Tigercat—Not produced often in other scales but big sellers where available, might be a good next choice after the B-25.

4. 1:32 B-17—Still at large airplane in this medium scale, the B-17 is a big part of USA history and would probably be successful if the tooling was utilized over several production runs.

5. 1:18 Hawker Typhoon—Big cowl and lots of rockets. Might be a winner.

6. 1:32 B-26—Yeah, why not.

7. 1:32 F-105—Probably worth a shot when the list gets short.

8. 1:32 A-10—A much better choice than its big brother.

9. 1:18 SB2C Helldiver—An extremely good seller in 1:72, don’t dismiss too quickly at this or 1:32 scale.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
The only interesting items on that list are the 1:18 Albatross, A-10 and F-4.

There's really no need to have this discussion. The economy and world oil & manufacturing prices are nowhere near supporting a 1:18 scale hobby that includes anyone than other people with lots of money to burn.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
His evaluation of a 1:18 alone discounts the rest of his arguments in my book. There are enough richy rich kids whose daddies would buy them a 'Hog (just because they just saw it fly at the air show) to cover half his 5000 unit number. And there are plenty more enthusiasts, collectors, squadrons and current and former pilots/ground crew/manufacturers/etc that would add it to their collection. 5000 'Hogs would be a slam dunk. There's also no reason a 'Hog would have to cost $500. BBI could put a perfectly good model together for ~$250 sans the rivets. Asshat... :rolleyes:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Very WWII biased it seems. None of those WWII planes really interest me :/

None of them are very interesting. I won't even consider a 163 without a Scheuch-Schlepper and tow dolly.

thecorporation

Task Force 27
Jun 9, 2011
Redacted
I think if I were a manufacturer, I'd focus much more on vehicles than planes. Vehicles are smaller, easier for storage and display and they tend to have a much lower price point, so they appeal to a wider range of potential buyers. Yes, the market is saturated with Humvees, and there are quite a few Jeeps floating around, but I think there are plenty of both wwII era and Modern era vehicles that could be produced that both collectors and kids would go for. Personally, I'd love to see 1:18 scale versions of the Supacat Jackal, the SASR's 6wd landrover, the MRAP, or any other vehicles that are currently being used in Afghanistan.

YT1

NO LONGER A MEMBER
Mar 15, 2011
almost all of what listed is a complete pass...glad he's not a manufacturer

I agree whole heartedly, I sure hope actual manufacturers don't pay any attention to his "informed" opinions....he is way off base. I like WW2 and I wouldn't buy half that crap.

birddog

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 23, 2011
Funny that the newest comment in this blog relates the sales of certain aircraft in smaller scales being indicative of how they will do in the larger scales. Below is a production run from a few months back of the subjects produced in 1/72 scale by Hobby Master. These numbers represent what has been produced for sale world wide.

5,300 = F-102
5,450 = F-5
6,600 = A-26
7,700 = F-2A
7,800 = F-22
8,500 = B5N Kate
9,100 = SB2C Helldiver

11,000 = Bf 110
11,250 = MiG 15
11,700 = F-111
11,800 = F-105
12,100 = A-1
12,900 = Mirage 2000
13,100 = Beaufighter
13,750 = Harrier
14,100 = Stuka
14,200 = P-39
14,800 = F-100
16,800 = F6F Hellcat
17,150 = SBD Dauntless
17,300 = TBF Avenger
19,100 = MiG 21

20,408 = A-10
22,400 = A-4 Skyhawk
23,100 = Texan
27,400 = F-104 Starfighter

43,100 = F-4 Phantom

*The above information was posted on Hobby Master's website back in May of this year and then was taken down. You can find this information here:
http://www.thediecasthangarpub.com/viewtopic.php?f=165&t=7784

So something tells me that both the A-10 and F-4 have done well in the smaller scales world wide for Hobby Master to continue to produce them as they have. Especially when many of the subjects on the list where produced before the A-10 and F-4 and have had fewer schemes and lower production numbers. I would think that indicates that the A-10 and F-4 sell fairly quickly and new production runs are needed to keep supply up. Another thing is that the A-10 and F-4 are still being released by Hobby Master with new schemes. If you follow the basis of small scale sales as the comment suggests, why are the A-10 and F-4 not in the Top 10?

I know I'm not a retailer and I'm not a manufacturer, but somehting just doesn't add up to all the comments made about why an A-10 and an F-4 wouldn't be successful in 1/18 scale coupled with the fact that what is used for the reason appears to show otherwise.