Building a better Viper

XOC2008

Caution: Troll Ahead!
Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
This is still a partial WIP.. I'm contemplating some paint and thinking about adding grenades.. otherwise, eh. Simple custom overall. I just don't really dig the new Viper.. it's.. -okay- but it's not great. I don't like the vest, I don't like the forearms, and otherwise it's a shock trooper, anyway.

Let me also beat some to the punch(at least what would be likely said on that other site) OMG WTF HOW COULD U DO THAT TO A ST?!?! THEYRE SO HARD TO FIND OMG PPL WOULD PAY YOU LOTS FOR THAT NOW!!!

Ahem. ;) With that out of the way:

Torso, upper arms, hands, legs, webgear, goggles, AK: Shock Trooper
Forearms: Tornado kick SE
Head: Viper
Holster, ammo pouch: Uh.. wv3 SE? The best SE ever.
Other guns: Marauders

Attachments

• stvip1.jpg
    stvip1.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 9
  • stvip2.jpg
    stvip2.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 4
  • stvip3.jpg
    stvip3.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 3

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Eh, it's not like you did anything horribly irreversible to the ST anyhow.

Some people are about to get butthurt, but it's better than the Hasbro one.

XOC2008

Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
KT: And the question is, should I post it over there and see what sort of chaos ensues from me 'ruining' a sought after figure?

Dre: ...depends on which SE you mean. I probably did the Tornado Kick version a favor by taking it's forearms and conveniently losing the rest. ;)

I'm undecided if I should add grenades.. It's a 'signature' thing of the Vipers to have them on the vest but.. I dunno. I might find an unused belt in my box o'stuff and put a couple on that instead.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I would.

Hell, considered the basic gist of this custom stolen. I wouldn't add grenades up on the shoulder, though.

XOC2008

Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
Yeah, I'm thinking maybe a belt with a couple on the side or near the back, out of the way. The ST vest is kind of 'busy' compared to the Viper vest, so if I added them to the vest they'd be very much in the way.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I think a belt is a good idea. I'm thinking the canister grenades from PoC Beachhead.

I'm fiddling with mine, and i'm thinking i may keep the Viper flak vest and use the Viper jackboot legs. Have to keep the ST knee joint, though, as they won't fit otherwise.

Glad you posted this. Got the gears turning here.

XOC2008

Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
Thanks. I thought it might be some motivation for others, too. I wanted to keep the jackboots but I passed because they would make the lower legs look way out of proportion.. just skinny by comparison.

I have some canister grenades I got from Marauders that I painted a drab green that I was thinking of using, I just need to see if I have a belt that will be adequate.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I'm used to looking at German officers in riding breeches and boots, so the thick thigh/skinny calf look isn't an issue with me. Don't think i'd do a squad like that, but one won't be so bad.

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
What parts did you use? ;)

That looks really nice X. Way more "real world" feel to it. I don't mind the old viper but it just has colors that scream "shoot me". This is a very welcomed update and really good use of the ST body.

I do love that AK the ST comes with. One of the nicest guns IMO.

XOC2008

Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
That's really what I was shooting for was 'real world'. I mean, minus the big shiny metal-faced helmet. >_> I might just have this guy lead my STs, as few of them as there are in my possession, that is.

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
I was talking about the packs and holster from the W3 SE. How dare you!

Ahem...

Anyways...

I dig this look. I may borrow parts of it and not destroy a precious ST.

XOC2008

Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
Now I just have to decide if I want to paint the gauntlets red to give it that Viper look, without painting a target on him as well. I think a dark red would work, I just don't want to go overboard... I want it to retain a lot of the dull and more realistic coloration as opposed to 'Just shoot me!' colors. :D

XOC2008

Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
Dark red, belt from a Snow Serpent's webgear, and a couple of the canister grenades:

Also, I think he wanted to go swimming. Good day for it.

Attachments

• stvip4.jpg
    stvip4.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 2
  • stvip5.jpg
    stvip5.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 1
  • stvip6.jpg
    stvip6.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 1

Dr Syn

humerus
Mar 27, 2011
Dark red, belt from a Snow Serpent's webgear, and a couple of the canister grenades:

Also, I think he wanted to go swimming. Good day for it.

Dude, that looks fucking awesome with some red on the arms and kneepads.

Consider this formula swiped. Though I do miss the fuck-me-boots they usually wear.

XOC2008

Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
Dude, that looks fucking awesome with some red on the arms and kneepads.

Consider this formula swiped. Though I do miss the fuck-me-boots they usually wear.

I -think- KT is going to do one similar with the jackboots. Like I told him, I would have but to me it looked wildly out of proportion.

BTW, thanks, you guys. :)

CoBrAtHeEnEmY!

its for your own good
Mar 14, 2011
here
hell yeah man that looks bad ass ,i thought it looked pretty cool in the first few pics but the red makes it look more like a viper ,very cool man

cold slither

Hair Farmer
Mar 14, 2011
Atlantic City, NJ
Love the canisters. I do think the red is still somewhat too bold. The ruddier the better. Oxnlood like K-Tig said.

But hey man, I'd still buy the shit out of those!

XOC2008

Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
It's funny because the red is actually a lot darker.. it just -really- stands out in the pics. In full sun they're just really bright.

XOC2008

Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
I appreciate the hell out of all the comments and critiques though.. I don't think I'll be making more than one because each one would cost -me- about 20 bucks a pop, conservatively(and that's with finding everything I need at a brick and mortar store.) Not that I wouldn't like to make a couple more but shit, just not in my budget. I'll just have him lead my other STs. I need a couple more of those, though.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Off topic, but you want to see something that will make you actually like the bent Viper wrists? Slap the ST's tacticool AK in them. Match made in heaven.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
In theory the NVR that comes with them should do the same, but the overly large grips make the gun virtually unusable.

That AK has saved my other Viper from the chopping block.

Dr Syn

humerus
Mar 27, 2011
It tempts me to Get both the New-Viper and Rockviper and turn the Rockviper into parts...

XOC2008

Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
Thanks again, you guys. I really appreciate it. :) And I'm glad to see it's inspiring others to take it to another level!

XOC2008

Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
Since I inspired KT and then he in turn inspired me, voila:

The red still looks brighter than it actually is. But then.. my camera is 10 years old. >_<