Built my first light box

Danney

Enlisted
Sep 6, 2012
Built a crude light box before I buy a pro kit, I wanted to see if it makes that much of a difference in photos ... you be the judges .. how do they look?

Thanks ahead of time!

The Willoughbian

Proletariat Art Threat
Jun 24, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
I saw that you posted this on "another forum", but I will post my thoughts here, beacause I think a lighting discussion with some of the fellows here will be most informative. There are some great photographers on these boards as proven buy the very competitive Monthly Banner Contest.

For starters, properly lit, the light box you made will work as well as anything you buy, so don't spend a lot of money. You should light all three sides. It's my opinion that incandescent will look better than florescent.

Personally, I think a lot of photos taken using light boxes look washed out. I feel lights and darks and controlled shadows make for more interesting photos. I do my lighting with a couple of $7 adjustable floor lamps and occasionally use scraps of cloth to diffuse the light if I need to.

Try and get the lighting to the point where you don't need a flash. I'm not sure if you are using one for these shots, but I'm just mentioning it for good measure.

I know there are dudes here that know way more about photography than I do, so maybe they will chime in. I hope my cent and a half is helpful.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
I try as much as possible to not use flash...and I try for day light when I can...I feel my lighting is fine, but my camera sucks...