Chinese vehicle a US ripoff The model

Midget

Resident Jarhead
Mar 14, 2011
Old Dominion
Meh, 4-5K for a less effective rifle than the AK?

I may have a hard-on for German stuff, but I'm not even remotely interested in a fake StG anywhere near that price bracket. Someone in Europe is already doing WWII German small arms copies.

Yeah, that's no where near what I want to pay for one. Waaaay out of my price range.

Fled74

Opinionated Arsehole
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
HobbyStop.webs.com

Just kidding. It's refreshing to see a lively debate not degenerating into a name-calling, mud-slinging mess. :)

Midget

Resident Jarhead
Mar 14, 2011
Old Dominion
At best, all of those are speculation. Neither power has the ability to fund something like that.

Also, the English in Russian made slide shows is hilarious. Granted it's better than any American could probably do in Russian….

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
So because the Russians built a forward-swept wing technology demonstrator they stole the idea from us?

Pretty sure the Russians laid eyes upon the Ju-287 before Grumman built the X-29 in the '80s.

rds13601

A Waste of Space!!!!
Aug 2, 2011
Biggest dump on earth
The Ju 287 though has forward swept wings ; looks like a bomber. The Berkut and x-29 are fighters. Notice how both planes forward of the cockpit have the the same small wings. Coincidence. I don't see those on the Ju 287. However, you are right . The Russians and US took alot of German technology. Our cruise missile can be argued that it is based on the V1 rocket. The RPG based on the Panzerfaust. Stealth was created by the Germans who used a special substance on their submarines that absorbed sonar during the final stages of the war. That substance remains classified to this day. The Nazis were close to developing the A bomb an a enriching uranium site was found by American GIs while the NAZI army was collapsing. A Nazi boat carrying heavy water sank and was found by divers a few years ago. Without Von Braun we wouldn't have made it to the moon. I don't dispel your point at all. Just comparing the similarities between these 2 aircraft is all Big K.

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
It's probably because the canards are often needed for smoothing the flight characterisics when you have nonconventional wing layouts.

The X-29 and Su-47 are technology testbeds/demonstrators, not fighters, though the Berkut would certainly come closer to that designation than the X-29.

Contrary to what you seem to believe armaments designers don't live in their own microcosms. They tend to take what works and tweak it. I just think you don't like Russians. You and Frank Stallone should hang out.

Call them cheap knock-offs all you want, the Russians impart a certain appealing aesthetic that Western designs don't, and are woefully underrepresented in 1:18.

rds13601

A Waste of Space!!!!
Aug 2, 2011
Biggest dump on earth
Yes I don't like Russians. Mostly because their weaponry has a tendency to kill and cripple American servicemen and women in overseas conflicts.IE.Korea, Vietnam, Grenada, Desert Storm, Bosnians,Chechans, Belarus, Iraqi Freedom, Enduring Freedom. While you find Russian 1:18 scale figs and vehicles physically appealing; I doubt the people on the receiving end of those items in full scale did!! Since Russia helped Iran build it's nuclear reactors. We probably wouldn't be facing the possibility of another war right now. Probably not very smart of them to do. Btw Frank doesn't return my calls. He's busy with awesome singing career right now.

Last edited:

Midget

Resident Jarhead
Mar 14, 2011
Old Dominion
Lol... We're the ones that supplied Iran with most of their Air Force prior to the fall of the Shah. Hell, we supplied Iraq with all sorts of goodies during the Iran/Iraq war. And Grenada, and Panama, before they became "unfriendly" towards US foreign policy. Then there's the Iran/Contra scandal (which still confuses me a little). And the ATF has apparently been supplying Cartels with arms for who knows how long....

There's a long, long list of the US supplying arms to countries. Everyone does it. I don't personally hold it against the Russians or Chinese that their AKs ended up in the hands of an insurgent. Just as I'm sure a Russian soldier or pilot probably didn't hold it against the US when they found a cache of American made arms in Afghanistan. It's just buisness. If you want to blame anyone, blame the guy pulling the trigger, or the arms smugglers moving excess weapon stores into third-world shitholes.

Last edited:

rds13601

A Waste of Space!!!!
Aug 2, 2011
Biggest dump on earth
Well, you are a bigger man than me I must say. You and K are good men. I appreciate a site where I can state my views and not be censored. With my friends in the military i worry about them and what they have had to go through these last 10 years. Some were in hot spots during the Cold War covertly. You raise excellent points and back it up with facts. With good humor I might add.I guess in the long run weapons proliferation is a business and it will always be there. Copies or scratch built it doesn't matter which side you are on. The US, China, and Russia all make gobs at money making and selling arms and weapon systems.It is what is. Excellent debate. Last reply. Thanks guys, rds 13601 Russ Spencer Btw Check out Frank Stallone's Greatest Hits Volume #1 MAGICAL!!!!!!!!