Could a JOE Film Be Set in the 80's?

Fred Broca

Enlisted
Jun 2, 2012
The Empyrean
I must be bored to even ask this, because I kinda like have a feeling what the common consensus on what Fighting 1:18th's answer would be for this topic.

For me, it's analogous to the plight of my belvoled Oakland A's concerning their ballpark, I don't care what they do, just get it done and done right.

However, I will say that X-Men: First Class, X-Men: Days of Future Past, Captain America: The First Avenger, and and Agent Carter dispelled the popular misconception that a superhero period piece couldn't work.

WVMojo

Mocha Viper
Jul 20, 2011
Could it be made? Yes. Would I want to see a group of real-life actors running around in ARAH outfits fighting a bunch of bikers and blue shirts? Not really. To me the ridiculousness of ARAH Joes works well in the comic book and cartoon formats. Seeing Bazooka in a football jersey fighting along a barefoot / bare-chested Quick-kick and a guy wearing mountaineering gear wouldn't bode well for a live action movie.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
If it was The Delta Force with Joe code names, sure, I'd watch. Nothing, and I mean nothing, of the ARAH aesthetic should be used.

Falcone

Green Beret
Feb 20, 2012
WI
My Joe is set in the 90's so I would have no issue with the Joes in the 80's.

Fred Broca

Enlisted
Jun 2, 2012
The Empyrean
Could it be made? Yes. Would I want to see a group of real-life actors running around in ARAH outfits fighting a bunch of bikers and blue shirts? Not really. To me the ridiculousness of ARAH Joes works well in the comic book and cartoon formats. Seeing Bazooka in a football jersey fighting along a barefoot / bare-chested Quick-kick and a guy wearing mountaineering gear wouldn't bode well for a live action movie.

This has always been a legitimate concern of people they cited some of the more unrealistic aspects of the JOE mythos. So I've come up with a simple solution of how the JOEs and COBRA could engage each other while wearing their traditional uniforms.

Of course COBRA troopers and Vipers, etc, would have an updated camo uniform, but COBRA personnel inside of a COBRA instillation would have on the blue shirts.

Since a JOE movie has to have the obligatory "attack on the Pitt battle sequence, this is where you have the opportunity to have the JOEs fight COBRA while wearing their Village People gear.

COBRA operatives found the location of the PITT and launch a big ass attack on it, which like Pearl Harbor, Tet, and 9/11 simply catches the government and the JOEs off guard.

COBRA attacks from the air (using Arboc overnight delivery service airplanes,) to deploy COBRA paratroopers on Fort Wadsworth. Since the JOEs are on downtime, you'll find Quick Kick in his PJ's training, Bazooka or watching the pre game show in his football jersey. The JOEs have to go into in battle with what they have on because of the suddenness of the attack and all they have time to do is grab a weapon. Since say Gung Ho is in the weight room with Rock n' Roll, all he has time to do is grab a vest, some grenades and his grenade launcher.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Yeah, or at least very little. Maybe winks and nods to their unique backgrounds here and there..

But 1980s? I guess? Have Cobra be allied with Drug kingpins and/or the Soviets?

Soviet pawn would work for me.