Dial Tone Custom (30th/POC)

birddog

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 23, 2011
Here's my take on a 30th/POC style Dial Tone with ARAH homage.

Head: Slayer Design Studios- Male Head Sculpt #59

Body: POC Dusty

Backpack: ARAH Dial Tone (Modified)

Gun: bbi

birddog

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 23, 2011
Thank you guys.

Meddatron,

The female in the background is an unfinished custom I'm working on. Planning on it being a new character, just haven't decided on a name yet among other details. The headsculpt is another Slayer Design Studio's. Don't remember which one though. Here's a closer shot of the head sculpt.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Hey man, looking good.

Some pointers (as we like to offer here... we're not being rude, just trying to give some constructive criticism) would be to do a matte clear-coat on the figure. It seems like the paints are a tad glossy right now, although it could be the lighting.

The body paints seem to be pretty solid, although a tad shiny. As for the heads, I would suggest a little more practice on the eyes and brows. What sort of brush are you using, do you mind me asking? Have you tried getting a finer brush?

(Again, no offense meant, just trying to spread some feedback here.)

Cool parts use though, and a great take on an updated version. I also love the head from SDS. :)

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Hey man, looking good.

Some pointers (as we like to offer here... we're not being rude, just trying to give some constructive criticism) would be to do a matte clear-coat on the figure. It seems like the paints are a tad glossy right now, although it could be the lighting.

The body paints seem to be pretty solid, although a tad shiny. As for the heads, I would suggest a little more practice on the eyes and brows. What sort of brush are you using, do you mind me asking? Have you tried getting a finer brush?

(Again, no offense meant, just trying to spread some feedback here.)

Cool parts use though, and a great take on an updated version. I also love the head from SDS. :)

This, and that communication equipment needs to join us in 2012.

birddog

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 23, 2011
Thank you for the feedback. It's all appreciated.

In regards to the shine of the paint, I think it's the acrylic paint and its reaction with the plastic its applied to. I've noticed this on a few model kits I've built as well. Even thought the paint is flat, it still has a gloss to it. I'm using Testors Model Master Acrylics which you can see in the background. Tamiya has good flat acrylic paint, but I've found that it doesn't adhere well to the plastic used on most figures and have stayed away from it. The pictures I posted are after a coat of Testors Clear Flat to seal and protect the paint as well as try to dull it down. Some of it I believe is also the lighting. It doesn't look that shiny in person. What type of flat clear coat are you using?

In regards to the eyes and brows, I'm using an ultra fine brush. What are the areas of improvement that you are suggesting? The eyes are always a pain in the ass.

I thought the same thing about the stash, but I was thinking more of a young Sadam Hussein vibe. Probably should have painted the hair, brows, and stash brown like th V1 version this really represents but the black is easier to work with and I think it was the V2 and V6 version that it appeared this way.

On the communication gear, I know what you mean, but that's part of the ARAH homage......:D

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
I like the way you painted Dial Tone. He looks real good.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
In regards to the shine of the paint, I think it's the acrylic paint and its reaction with the plastic its applied to. I've noticed this on a few model kits I've built as well. Even thought the paint is flat, it still has a gloss to it. I'm using Testors Model Master Acrylics which you can see in the background. Tamiya has good flat acrylic paint, but I've found that it doesn't adhere well to the plastic used on most figures and have stayed away from it. The pictures I posted are after a coat of Testors Clear Flat to seal and protect the paint as well as try to dull it down. Some of it I believe is also the lighting. It doesn't look that shiny in person. What type of flat clear coat are you using?

In regards to the eyes and brows, I'm using an ultra fine brush. What are the areas of improvement that you are suggesting? The eyes are always a pain in the ass.

I use Testors MM Acryls too for the clear-coat. It could just be the lighting, like you said (and I wondered that, myself). I use Tamiya paints, but usually use gloss or semi-gloss because it adheres to the plastic better, then I add 2-3 coats of clear. The flat Tamiya does tend to come off easily, which can be annoying.

The eyes always take some time to paint right. I've been making customs for nearly 5 years now and just got the hang of the eyes in the last year and a half to 2 years, and even then, they can take 5-10 tries to get just right. Even some I've done recently didn't turn out as well as I wanted.

It just takes some time, I should probably set up a simple tutorial here to show how it's done. Next time I paint a head, I may just do that.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
really dig the parts combo for him...still looks very much like DT, yet updated...nice work bd...though i agree with MR, a matte clear would do wonders...

birddog

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 23, 2011
Thank you for the comments.

Looking forward to that tutorial Mandingo....:)

Lowlight33

The D'Acre
Feb 27, 2012
NH
Need to give him more Stash, I would also paint the shoulder pads, Looks really good though. High Five!