Diorama build debate suggestions

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
Recently I've had a few ideas for building dioramas but wanted to get your different thoughts about build material & other general suggestions.

We all have used poster board at some point. But even under the best conditions the material sags or breaks.

Wood can get expensive

Foam board has some ups & downs

I am thinking of building a multi level base maybe even revising my Death Star plans but need something that will stand up to kid's play

I have had pretty good success at printing backgrounds & posting it on cardboard poster board & other material

I am wondering if there is a good material to build walls that would support upper layers with out building a wood shop

There is the green foam at craft shops anyone use that to build multi layered set ups? Does it hold up over time?

How big of walls have others built? 5-6" would be scale but not great for display

Please share your ideas & help inspire others to make use of these plastic men :unsure:

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
I think a combo of foam board (with printed detail if need be) with wood as a structural support would be best. I mean, look at how large diglers structures are.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
Well something really cool happened this weekend. I actually got time to work on a project.

I made some major progress on the sandcrawler. Originally it was going to be small. (Disney's version helped put off this project, but I didn't really like what they did.) I reluctantly decided POC Hiss tank tracks were the way to go. (I have 2, but will eventually upgrade to 4 or scratch build bigger treads since the "shocks" are not that great once the weight starts adding up.

So I used a combo of 1x2' wood panels for floors with Lowes Foam board for the walls Made 3 levels but will only kept 2 of them since I don't want this thing to big :D

Features I've added.
-technically working treads - This may change
- elevator loading Tube for R2
- 2 story droid storage/work shop with working crane.
- Launch area for vehicles

Front part is still a work in progress.
Currently my thinking is make 1 side screen arcuate & the other side open for play access. But when the time comes I think I will likely still build the side covers.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
By green foam I'm guessing you mean floral foam? That stuff is easy to work with...too easy. Dents can be made in it very easily. I don't know of anything that will hold up through time 100%. Even wood will sag and bend. After my last diorama, I'll probably be sticking to insulation foam. It's not perfect, but it's cheaper, more light weight and easier to work with than wood. I'm not even going to waste my time on foam-core unless it's just for an inside wall or smaller support structure and has to be made of something thin.