Disappointment!

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Have any custom stories that ended in bitter disappointment?

I've been working on this foam stuff to try and make a 'brick' wall, but the glue wont stick well, and the paint wont stay either and it's just a hot mess.

The idea in my head was going to be super cool.. but it's just not panning out, and I'm bummed.

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
Most of mine honestly. I have much more fail than success. I won't even deal with the walls until I have some tools because I don't want to disappoint myself. Weathering is where I've been needing work. I see how you guys do it so well and can't figure it out! I'm starting to wonder if I have a learning disability.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Biggest custom disappointment. Hmmm. Definitely Ilse. Really pissed that one never came together.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Weathering is where I've been needing work. I see how you guys do it so well and can't figure it out! I'm starting to wonder if I have a learning disability.

i'm the same way...it pi$$es me off so bad...NSA claims to be a newb but does killer weathering...a-hole

Skyhawk

Zero Killer
Mar 14, 2011
Tukwila WA, USA
The biggest one for me was when I was about 20..

I was building a Dragon BMW M3 model car (just like the tank kits, they are hella spendy). I had just finished airbrushing the British Racing Green (2 days before) and had it on the work bench and accidentally spilled a bottle of thinner all over the side of it. I was pissed and went to clean the table, set the body of the car on my chair. Yeah, you know what happened next, I sat of the stupid thing. My big butt crushed the body beyond fixing I took the car and as hard as I could, tossed it at the wall.

I did end up getting a new body and glass for it, but even then, when I got it finished it still looked like crap... One of the biggest fails to date for me with a project...

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Most of my earlier customs are a total fail to me now, but at the time I was super happy. My Zarana is perhaps the one that's aged the worst, yeesh.

My first Airtight WIP was godawful. Oh man, I didn't even post pics. It now survives in the parts bin, but will likely end up in the trash one day, it's so far beyond repair and not worth stripping the clumpy yellow paint.

I also had a huge accident with thinner once. I made a custom Alternator Ratchet, Ironhide and Trailbreaker (and lost them in a fire after all the stress over this whole accident anyways, so the "accident" with thinner ended up being short-lived) and was super tedious with the pin removal, being careful not to melt anything... And then I ended up accidentally getting thinner on the windshield of the white Jeep.

Why was it such a fiasco? Well, it completely melted the windshield, and it was a KO Alternator that ran me about $60 from China, that was almost impossible to find 4 years ago when I made it... I think they're all but impossible to find now. I had to rebuild the windshield from scratch, but it ended up looking awful if you inspected it closely.

Fortunately, I have replaced it and I have the parts sitting in a box to remake all 3. I'm just waiting on the Ironhide head to be re-cast by the original sculptor. (Also, I now know to keep thinner far away from the windshield.)

Luckily, in bot mode (which it stayed in most of the time) I kept the top on, upside-down on the windshield to hide it. Sort of a backpack.

Last edited:

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
that Ratchet is big titties!

i spilled some styrene glue on my customing mat...it ate it right up...but it also spilled onto a big stack of styrene, which turned into a hunk of styrene...it glued that stuff together like it came that way...luckily it didn't get on my dinning room table

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
that Ratchet is big titties!

i spilled some styrene glue on my customing mat...it ate it right up...but it also spilled onto a big stack of styrene, which turned into a hunk of styrene...it glued that stuff together like it came that way...luckily it didn't get on my dinning room table

I actually need to either find or order some actual styrene glue. Superglue is semi-pricy, and still doesn't work that well. Plus it does that damn "frosting" effect on anything it touches. So it literally melts shit?

Thanks on the Ratchet. Despite the mess-up, I actually was quite happy with the final result (barring the windshield issue). Of all the toys I lost, besides my vintage figures I was pissed the most about losing those 3 customs. I'll remake them eventually, but I'm a little out of steam at the moment (and room). I also had 5 custom Alternator Stunticons that went melty-bye too. Fuggin' fire.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Have any custom stories that ended in bitter disappointment?

I've been working on this foam stuff to try and make a 'brick' wall, but the glue wont stick well, and the paint wont stay either and it's just a hot mess.

The idea in my head was going to be super cool.. but it's just not panning out, and I'm bummed.

Read the tutorial! :)

Not your foam M! Haha I should go your path.. I was trying to be clever.

Actually, I see that folks have used that white beady foam with success as well. I posted a link in that thread showing a guy who used a heated wire to cut that white foam, and it looked pretty decent, honestly. You may just need some heavier paint layers though to hide that sort of beaded texture.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011

SR_501

Walfisch.
Mar 14, 2011
Hunk from the Resident Evil. Put hours into making his gas mask only to be fucked by his harness/tac vest. Such BS nothing I combined together worked...

Midget

Resident Jarhead
Mar 14, 2011
Old Dominion
I'd say it was spilling OJ on my custom Cap A head…. OJ apparently melts acrylic paint, who knew? But it turned out ok- I recently re-painted it and added the magnets to the shield and arms, which was fun.

I wouldn't say I've had a lot of disappointment, it's just a lot of unfinished stuff laying about.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
i use this...it "welds" the plastic together...although, i've read any glue with MEK in it will work

http://www.modelsbuzz.com/methylethyl-cholride-mek-as-a-glue-38215.html

That is a gigantor brush. I hate those big bottles with the unwieldy nail-polish sized brushes.

I'd say it was spilling OJ on my custom Cap A head…. OJ apparently melts acrylic paint, who knew? But it turned out ok- I recently re-painted it and added the magnets to the shield and arms, which was fun.

I wouldn't say I've had a lot of disappointment, it's just a lot of unfinished stuff laying about.

Weird. Vegetable oil helps loosen superglue on fingers. I found that out after gluing my sausages together accidentally.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
That is a gigantor brush. I hate those big bottles with the unwieldy nail-polish sized brushes.

Weird. Vegetable oil helps loosen superglue on fingers. I found that out after gluing my sausages together accidentally.

you barely touch it to the surface you want glued and it wicks in between them...its really cool...

and uh, i heard in another thread you were the new resident homo?...judging by that post, i don't think thats much of a stretch

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
You had those Stunticons? If they are the ones I'm thinking of, then that is a horrible loss!

Valkfan cast the heads. They are the best Alternator sculpts, by far. I still need to get the Ironhide recast because he made a new mold. Dude does amazing work, but not really mass-produced.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
you barely touch it to the surface you want glued and it wicks in between them...its really cool...

and uh, i heard in another thread you were the new resident homo?...judging by that post, i don't think thats much of a stretch

We can share the honor, with sentences that include words like "stretch" and "homo".

YT1

NO LONGER A MEMBER
Mar 15, 2011
I spent of ton of time accurizing, lighting, painting and building a base for a Hasbro Power FX X-wing. I spent so much time thinking about what I was doing on some details, I didn't notice I put the red markings on the wings on backwards. I literally spent hours masking it and I did it all wrong! I have never shown the results in public before.

Attachments

• hasbro x wing.jpg
    hasbro x wing.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 12

SR_501

Walfisch.
Mar 14, 2011
That sucks YT1!

I did that once though too put the wrong numbers on a tank platoon and in the wrong spot did the whole army up and put the wrong damn numbers on them...

YT1

NO LONGER A MEMBER
Mar 15, 2011
AH.. well if I didn't know to look for them I wouldn't be able to tell.

You are right, but a man is his own worst critic and every time I see it, it bugs the piss out of me!

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I spent of ton of time accurizing, lighting, painting and building a base for a Hasbro Power FX X-wing. I spent so much time thinking about what I was doing on some details, I didn't notice I put the red markings on the wings on backwards. I literally spent hours masking it and I did it all wrong! I have never shown the results in public before.

Ah, Forest For The Trees Syndrome.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I made a custom figure to go with my line of "The Thing" figures. The real work involved sculpting a parka type jacket onto the base figure. The problem was that I didn't have legs with civilian pants, everything I had had the pants legs tucked into military style boots.
So I went out and bought one of those "build 'n brawl" wrestling figures that was wearing pants. Now, the probleem with this is that 25th ann. GI Joe and the BnB figures are not compatible directly, so I set about cutting the lower bodeis off each figure so I could switch them around. But when I got down cutting each figure and dry-fitted the new legs onto the custom, I found out I had cut them to the wrong length. When I dry fitted the new legs, the figure looked deformed. I then tried reattaching the original lower body BACK onto it's original body (the one with the sculpted coat) and tried using putty to blend it all back together but it ended up looking really fugly. So it went into the parts bin and finally traded the abomination to someone.

I redid the figure using all off the shelf parts, so I in effect paid for it twice.