G I Joe Major Barrage Custom

birddog

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 23, 2011
When I saw the Wave 1 Retaliation Roadblock, my first thought was "there's a good base for a Major Barrage update.". I know he's a little known character in the GI Joe story line, but I think this figure sculpt was perfect for the character.

Below is my take on an update to the Major Barrage character. I still have a few things to finish like armament and trying to tone the shine down. Looking at supplying him with two combat shotguns from Marauder John. Below is the recipe. Hope you guys like.

Head: Major Barrage (2005) (repainted the skin to match the body tone)

Body: Wave 1 Retaliaton Roadblock (switched out hands with Retaliation 3 Pack Roadblock)

Vest: Retaliation 3 Pack Roadblock

Photos of the original below coutesy of YoJoe.com.

birddog

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 23, 2011
Thank you for the compliment. I've really enjoyed the customs you've posted yourself CS. Your Flint and Duke are awesome and inspired me to build my own from the same recipe with a few differences in paint apps. Keep up the awesome work.

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I like it. I might repaint the legs and I think I'd cut off the long pouches and put Flint's LCE shell bandoleers on there. Don't know how available it is, though. Haven't started searching for one, yet.

Rockblock really is a good "big man" custom buck.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Glad you were able to draw inspiration from my customs for your own! I believe that's the biggest compliment a customizer can receive.

birddog

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 23, 2011
Glad you like the concept KT. I thought about changing the vest up but I'm still perfecting my slicing and dicing of soft plastic goods. The vest could be a nice base for someone to cast from. I liked the camo on the legs as it was enough to not mess with it but a Woodland Camo pattern would probably look good. I may go back and try it know that the wheels are turning again. I think I might have a spare bandolier sitting around if you want it KT.

CS, not hard to be inspired by your customs. Just makes me go "damn" I want my insert character's name to look like that...:).

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Some dudes get butthurt over it, though.

I know and I don't understand it at all. I always post my "recipe" when I post a new custom and try and answer any and all questions others have. I definitely wouldn't be able to make customs like I do now without others that have the same mentality. It seems elitist to keep it private, and is just stupid to not want others to replicate your customs.

While I can understand people wanting credit if someone makes a similar or exact copy of a custom, personally, I don't really think twice about it. Not that it happens often for me, as I think I've seen maybe 1 custom of mine replicated by another forum member. A lot of times I pick and choose parts out of other people's customs when I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to make a custom. Heck, I've straight up copied the majority of ceraurus' O13 customs. The most of the customs that I came up with the recipe on my own are still influenced by the original design of the character and art, or Sideshow's designs. I think my Lt. Claymore is the only original custom that wasn't heavily inspired by someone's art (includes original card art and cartoon designs) and/or someone's custom. I did carry over his 'stache though :D.

Sorry. I'll get off of my soapbox.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Glad you like the concept KT. I thought about changing the vest up but I'm still perfecting my slicing and dicing of soft plastic goods. The vest could be a nice base for someone to cast from. I liked the camo on the legs as it was enough to not mess with it but a Woodland Camo pattern would probably look good. I may go back and try it know that the wheels are turning again. I think I might have a spare bandolier sitting around if you want it KT.

CS, not hard to be inspired by your customs. Just makes me go "damn" I want my insert character's name to look like that...:).

Flint's? Hell yeah, I do.

Yeah, woodland would work out well, here. I like the color scheme on the vest. I like mixing up the colors of pouches and such on web gear/LBVs.

birddog

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 23, 2011
KT, I'll take a look in my fodder bin when I get back in town and let you know.

I agree on the color mixing with vest and web gear, makes them stand out more and adds character.

I felt the color scheme I used here paid some homage to the original.

Last edited: