Gentle Giant ARAH 12"

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
- I was amused when they announced Rock n Roll
- I was intrigued when they announced Stalker
- But I just can't resist a big ol 12" V1 Snake Eyes in vintage packaging

Damn you Gentle Giant. I don't have the money or space to devote to this, but damn, it's not like I can ignore it! Thanks a heap!

My only gripe is that I'd really prefer swivel-arm versions... but since I don't see myself actually opening these, it likely doesn't matter. Of course, if they make swivel versions later, I'll be pissed, just like 1983 all over again.

Last edited:

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
12" just isn't enough.

Since we can't seem to keep him around, I thought I'd throw down some fledbait.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I would expect no less, KT. You're nostalgia-challenged ;) When I first saw them, my reaction was much the same as when they announce the 12" Kenner SW figures: "Why? Who wants this?"

But that SE figure looks awesome. And after I liquidated my entire vintage MOC Joe collection last year, the idea of replacing it with a much cheaper collection of a few larger figures somehow seems far more appealing.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
It's an overpriced, 12" version of a 33 year-old figure. A rehash of the '78 12" Darth Vader or Chewie would be equally stupid, but would, if nothing else, have a historical antecedent. Hell, it would have a valid nostalgic trigger.

But, you know, whatever. "Different strokes" and all that.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
The more it looks like a toy, the larger it is, the quicker my nephews will ruin it.

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
It's an overpriced, 12" version of a 33 year-old figure. A rehash of the '78 12" Darth Vader or Chewie would be equally stupid, but would, if nothing else, have a historical antecedent. Hell, it would have a valid nostalgic trigger.

But, you know, whatever. "Different strokes" and all that.

It WAS a stupid idea.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Eh, not everything has to be gritty, real-world accurate. I own enough HISS tanks that I lost my "military accuracy" street cred a long time ago. Sometimes things can be ridiculously large for no reason and just fun for the sake of being fun. The large Kenner SW figures didn't do anything for me, but Jumbo '82 Snake Eyes clearly does.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011

I thought they did that.

Eh, not everything has to be gritty, real-world accurate. I own enough HISS tanks that I lost my "military accuracy" street cred a long time ago. Sometimes things can be ridiculously large for no reason and just fun for the sake of being fun. The large Kenner SW figures didn't do anything for me, but Jumbo '82 Snake Eyes clearly does.

Eh, like I said, different strokes. I just bought Hey Dude on DVD, so who the fuck am I to talk?

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I would have preferred Salute Your Shorts or the long-pined for unreleased 3rd season of The Adventures of Pete and Pete, but I do have some vague memories of HD.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I bought them when they first came out. The third season release was announced and box art released, and then nothing. Summer of 2012 it comes out from Will McRobb and Chris Viscardi that the audio commentaries were recorded, the dvds pressed and packaged, and that they're sitting in storage somewhere.

The popular theory is because somebody doesn't want to pay for the rights to the Luscious Jackson tracks used in one of the episodes. :wtf:

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Don't hate them at all. I own a couple of their albums, and they should be payed for that music. My hate is all for Viacom/Paramount/whomever is responsible.

Did I ever let on that I disliked LJ? Certainly didn't intentionally do that.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Obviously, they seem focused on the O13, or maybe even the O9 that were single carded. I'd like to see them get to a wide line, but I'm not so sure it'll ever reach that far. Prior to this, they were doing 5POA Kenner SW figures. I fear that their decision to do straight-arm figures implies they either can't or won't do a big swivel arm.

I'm torn, as some of my favorite characters had some of the worst figures. Ripcord, Flint, Dusty, and Lady Jaye come to mind. Those sculpts didn't exactly set the world on fire, and I fear the Jumbo treatment won't do the designs any favors.

Straight or swivel, I just hope they last long enough to do Trooper and Officer. Giant blue-shirts for the win.

Falcone

Green Beret
Feb 20, 2012
WI
Those sculpts didn't exactly set the world on fire

That's the only reason I wouldn't want a Scarlett. The swivel arms only add 4 pieces which shouldn't be too much to make them impossible. I would also hope that they would try to do the popular figures and not produce them by year. If they did that Falcon never would happen.