Hard Master

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
Very nice!

I have to say, I believe your customs have the best skin tones. Very realistic.

I've been using the citadel system starting with a dark base and slowly lightening it up. I'll occasionally use their pale dry and some of the older characters.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Is there a particular tutorial you used showing the Citadel system for painting skin? Tried googling it, but to no avail.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
I forget the names of the paints but I paint everything with the base coat of "ratskin" then I layer with the pinkish flesh layer paint that I can't remember and then finish with "Kislev flesh" which you can't keep adding layers of until you get to the tone you like. The flesh wash can be used sparingly to recess some details. I'll use that on the eyeball area before I paint the sclera.

The theory is you start with a darker color because that's what under the skin and each layer on top of it is like a layer of skin. I also got sick of mixing my colors because my mixes never last and it's harder than hell to come back and match if you had to quit painting halfway through. I've seen examples of this method with other colors but it will be hard to find it online because I think it's in a $40 book.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Thanks, for the explanation of the process!

I hate having to mix paint for the very same reasons you mentioned. I'm going to have to give this a shot. It would be nice to not have to worry about mixing skin tones anymore.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
Pretty much. The base coat is completely covered when I'm done but I've noticed it changed what each layer looks like when it dries almost like each layer borrows properties from the layer under it. I'm not getting too adventurous on my approach but I've noticed it's not hard to do.

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I'm not a big ninja fan but I appreciate the cool customs you do withe them