Is there a way to dull paint?

red4

Enlisted
Feb 25, 2012
I can't find any non-glossy red acrylic hobby paint anywhere in town. But I do have 2 different shades of glossy red. Is there a way to give it a duller sheen without compromising the color, texture, and ability to bond to surfaces? (ie, I don't want it to look grainy or clumpy)

I found an aerosol of the right shade and sheen, but it never dried properly. It stayed tacky, and rubbed off easily after a week of curing time.

Falcone

Green Beret
Feb 20, 2012
WI
You could maybe just spray it with Testors Dull Coat after the red dries. It should take away that sheen. When painting my Warhammer models, I dip them in varnish (the lazy way to do shading) and that leaves a high gloss finish. And Dull Coat completely takes it away.

Fled74

Opinionated Arsehole
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
HobbyStop.webs.com
IIRC, Testors Dullcote is lacquer-based, and may react badly with acrylic undercoats. I haven't tried it, so I'm not too sure.
Tamiya makes a Flat Base which you can mix with their gloss paints to dull the sheen. I've used this before, and it works. But use too much in the mix and it might dry with a white powdery residue.

I sometimes use acrylic matte medium (available in jars at art supply shops) mixed with gloss paints, although it may not be compatible with all brands.
Your mileage may vary.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
I use Testors' Flat Clear Acryl. It comes in a jar and is rather "milky" looking. Just stir it up real good and apply it by brush. Make sure the paint is good and dry before applying it though. One coat will tone the gloss down a good bit, but you can add as many as you'd like. You can mix it with the paint if you want, but I wouldn't recommend adding it to your jar of paint, as it may have an adverse effect over time.

Conversely, Testors also has clear semi-gloss and gloss paints that you can buy for those instances that you need it, but your paint is flat.

Here's a pic of the Flat Clear Acryl for reference:

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Also, I've read numerous times that adding rubbing alcohol to the paint will get rid of the gloss, but I've yet to try it myself.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I use rubbing alcohol to thin my acrylics and it does nothing to the sheen, just dries much faster than thinning with water.

I also use lacquer clear coats (tamiya, rustoleum & krylon) over my acrylic paint all the time with no damage. It actually is of great benefit since you can then perform washes and weathering that would normally take the acrylic paint off.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I use Testors' Flat Clear Acryl. It comes in a jar and is rather "milky" looking. Just stir it up real good and apply it by brush. Make sure the paint is good and dry before applying it though. One coat will tone the gloss down a good bit, but you can add as many as you'd like. You can mix it with the paint if you want, but I wouldn't recommend adding it to your jar of paint, as it may have an adverse effect over time.

Conversely, Testors also has clear semi-gloss and gloss paints that you can buy for those instances that you need it, but your paint is flat.

Here's a pic of the Flat Clear Acryl for reference:

^This. I mainly paint with Tamiya paints (don't judge me!) and I've grown to prefer their gloss paints over their flat coats because they tend to not chip as well. Sometimes they don't go on as well, but even if mixing colors to get the right flesh tone, I'll add a gloss white or red to it just to give the slightest glass, and it tends to stick much better.

Then, I cover it with the Flat Clear Acryl. It knocks any excessive sheen off and makes it look like the factory paint jobs. A slight sheen (won't be totally matte unless you apply several coats) but the sheen you'd expect from plastic or factory paint.