KickStarter: 18th Captain Action/'Adventure People' is live

AdrienVeidt

Enlisted
Apr 11, 2015
Check it out:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1728265268/the-new-adventure-people

My thoughts 'good':
They're BFS figures so they look very nice and I'm sure I'd enjoy them despite not knowing or caring to know much about CA canon. I'm quite pleased to learn the waist will have a ball joint, possibly even inter-swappable with Marauders.

My thoughts 'troubling':
Since it's four of the exact same body, after baseline CA gets funded you'd think there should be a discount for the All-In. And I still don't dig what looks to be license-squatting of 'Adventure People' since they give no indication they'll ever do civilian characters as *everyone* who'd care about their use of that name would want. If they're just going to use it as a ploy, that sucks.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
There was originally to be an Action Boy and Action Split Tail, plus Dr. Evil was supposed to be based on the original figure (As opposed to Captain Faker), but I presume they found it easier to just alter paints and head sculpt to get the line started.

Adventure People is beyond the scope of ZICA to handle properly.

CoreyD

Enlisted
May 3, 2015
DC
Adventure People? Was this meant to be a reboot of the fisher price adventure people line as well?

AdrienVeidt

Enlisted
Apr 11, 2015
I haven't seen them answer that question and their verbiage in the KS leads me to believe it's just license-squatting.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I haven't seen them answer that question and their verbiage in the KS leads me to believe it's just license-squatting.

I think you're right. Which is a shame, as I think a 1:18 action figure equivalent to the LEGO Collectible Minifigure line would be awesome. I guess Playmobil blind bags are as close as we'll get.

AdrienVeidt

Enlisted
Apr 11, 2015
Okay, I threw in for the red Capt Evil, and the shipping was $8 for a $33 total. Not happy about it, but I've paid more for other figures because I'm a sucker-ass punk for action figures. They put up an update showing the engineering digisculpts, confirming there's a swivel both above and below the ankle hinge, which is cool. I asked them if the waist and hip balls were compatible with Marauder's by any chance, and suggested the gray CA get the blue skin treatment so Capt Evil could have an armybuilder of Bizarro clones.

the_Archivist

Archivist
Officer Club
Dec 23, 2013
Atlanta
www.118archive.com
So weird twist with this.

BBTS has now stepped up to help with this KS and are offering these up for Pre-Order. They will include the pre-ordered amount into the KS pledge to help reach the goal.

BigBadToyStore.com Search

So if you wanted to help getting these produced but don't like KS you now have a way to do so.

the_Archivist

Archivist
Officer Club
Dec 23, 2013
Atlanta
www.118archive.com
Seems to me that BBTS should/could have the money to fund it directly.

Well technically someone could order 500 of the all in set and wait until the campaign ends. Since BBTS does not charge their customers until the item ships that person could cancel the order between the time the campaign is funded and the items are received in-stock and ready to ship therefore effectively getting BBTS to fund said campaign. Not that I support that kind of behavior :p

AdrienVeidt

Enlisted
Apr 11, 2015
So, Zica posted this to the KS comments:
Thanks for your support! We need to sell approximately 435 sets (4 figures) to meet the funding goal. If there's not enough interest to sell that many sets with what's already offered I feel like the market just isn't there for these figures, which is unfortunate.

I think this is some evasive BS, looking for an excuse for when this likely fails to fund. There's been *numerous* calls for something more than what amounts to repaints of one figure with three heads and two sets of weapons. An armybuilder, the other figures we were teased with so long ago, the car... anything more than a lazy effort.

I was really pulling for this in theory and to the point of going in onthe very cool-looking Capt Evil, but every time Zica adds more input I lose more faith in this and them.

JasonWelcome

Enlisted
Jan 6, 2016
Louisiana, USA
So weird twist with this.

BBTS has now stepped up to help with this KS and are offering these up for Pre-Order. They will include the pre-ordered amount into the KS pledge to help reach the goal.

BigBadToyStore.com Search

So if you wanted to help getting these produced but don't like KS you now have a way to do so.

I wonder if they contacted BBTS or how this came about. Just asking...for a friend

daremo

Officer III
Sep 12, 2011
Sorry, but these figures don't interest me in the least. Well, maybe the extra articulated hands would be cool (maybe offer those as a reward by themselves?), but other than that they're just bland. The presentation is incredibly lacking too. The "action" figures all look the same except for the colors. And how about some photos to show, you know, how they pose and go on an adventure? I see absolutely nothing that relates to Adventure People other than the name. And it's $25 PLUS shipping for the figure. The MTF figures are a much better deal and I'd rather wait to spend my money on the next MTF kickstarter.

The whole project really turns me off to be honest. Now, start talking Eagle Force and I'll listen.

AdrienVeidt

Enlisted
Apr 11, 2015
The last two comments on the KS page:
Shaun Barrows about 2 hours ago
Have you considered offering the color variant Captain Action figures as Add-ons for those who might want more than one?

Creator ZICA Toys 11 minutes ago
Hi Shaun,
At this time we're planning to cancel funding and relaunch. What you've suggested will be added to the new pledge reward options.

Hopefully the relisting will be better-structured, taking the average 18th fan's collecting habits in mind.

AdrienVeidt

Enlisted
Apr 11, 2015
From the KS comments:

Creator ZICA Toys 38 minutes ago
The revised Kickstarter is finished so the next step will be to get approval from Kickstarter, which will hopefully be soon. Assuming that happens, the Kickstarter should be live within the next few days.

AdrienVeidt

Enlisted
Apr 11, 2015
With the intro of the Henchman, I had wanted to get equal teams of three against each other; CA, AJ, and JJ versus CE and a pair of Henchies. I had no real interest in the CA repaints beyond their use as customs fodder if I had to get them. With the new structure, I can get the Full Set to get one of everyone plus an add-on Hench for $120, which is cheaper than the $140 it would've run me previously. Plus I end up with an extra E-rifle, which is nice.

$120 ÷ 8 = $15 each, which is comparable to everything else out there. I'm still not enthusiastic by the 'RemCo Adventure People' stuff, but I:m ultimately an action figure collector and that's what I'm throwing in for.

Falcone

Green Beret
Feb 20, 2012
WI
They had 21,000 in the last one and this one has a goal of only 25,000. It could easily be funded this time around. My only concern is what will the quality of the final product be. They claimed to have found a cheaper factory, but cutting the cost in half is a huge difference. The big of a difference has me a little concerned.

AdrienVeidt

Enlisted
Apr 11, 2015
Yeah, now that I notice the lower funding total, I think this one could well pull through. I'm not worried about the less-expensive factory so much as I am for Zica's noobiness to doing our kind of figures. The 6Mil figures just don't count towards having experience at pulling our kind of figures off, and BFS' lack of participation any longer just add to that concern.

the_Archivist

Archivist
Officer Club
Dec 23, 2013
Atlanta
www.118archive.com
They had 21,000 in the last one and this one has a goal of only 25,000. It could easily be funded this time around. My only concern is what will the quality of the final product be. They claimed to have found a cheaper factory, but cutting the cost in half is a huge difference. The big of a difference has me a little concerned.

I think the lower cost is due to a lower minimum number to be made and not necessarily a drop in quality.

Falcone

Green Beret
Feb 20, 2012
WI
I hope that's the reason for the drop and not them going with the cheapest questionable factory they can find.

Who added "sucks" to the tags?

AdrienVeidt

Enlisted
Apr 11, 2015
I asked this over on the KS comments:
Howdy again, Zica! Congrats on relaunching what looks to be a more successful campaign. I know I'm happier with the changes you've made, especially since I'll now be getting a Full Set of everybody plus an additional Henchman cheaper with shipping (and a 7th E-rifle) than what I'd pledged for an All-In before shipping.
Can we get some insights into where you want to take the line after this initial foray? I assume the control art we've seen for Lady Action, Action Boy, and Dr Evil indicate future offerings for the Captain Action portion of the Adventure People banner, but what else can we look forward to?
If you're wanting to capitalize on making CA and his partners an 'Adventure Trio' line many lines of the past, I think mission-specific accessory sets are a must. I'm thinking stuff like a 'Peril Under the Waves' set with one or more scuba tanks, facemasks, and fins along with a shark or barracuda and a chest of sunken pirate treasure; or a 'Assault on Mount Evil' set with jetpacks and an evil super-weapon to disarm.

If you're wanting to capitalize on nostalgia for the original Adventure People line (and I'm hoping you are), I think a generic jumpsuit/coveralls outfit would make an excellent base for a foray into generic civilian figures. I know many 18th collectors have yearned for civilians in both their GIJoe and Superhero collections (how bad can the bad guys be if there aren'y any civilians to threaten and take hostage, right?), and you could do them all a great service with just a few variations on this sort of outfit:
http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/7f/25/9c/7f259ce782a6d7985acc9d86f4bf42b7.jpg[img]

That's a bit dated in its fashion sense, but I can see it working for investigative field reporters on the front lines and Mission Command support staff and high-tech installation technicians, etc.

In any case, maybe giving us some insight into this line's future can help get more contributors involved with its present, and send this campaign well over the funding minimum.[/i]

And Zica replied:
[i]Glad to hear you're happy with the restructured Kickstarter campaign.
As for what our future plans are with the Adventure People line, I can't spill all of the beans but I can say a little bit about what we have planned next if the Kickstarter is successful. First and foremost we want to follow through with our commitment to Captain Action Enterprises and hopefully get Action Boy, Lady Action, and Dr. Evil added to the line. Same goes for the Silver Streak vehicle. After that we're hoping to add a Sci-Fi series to the mix and start off with some cool futuristic astronaut and alien figures. We're also partnered up with Fresh Monkey Fiction on the new Eagle Force line that's in development and there's a lot of crossover potential with those characters. Eagle Force is very similar to Hasbro's G.I. Joe. A Real American Hero line.

Beyond that we don't have any definite plans laid out but odds are we would start development on a horror series or possibly a fantasy series for the line. There's also the possibility we could pick up another licensed property as well.[/i]

I do like that the rest of the Action stuff is planned, esp LadyA and the Streak; and the Space line sounds promising especially if it has a 60s vibe like these Action figures do; but I don't dig the lack of acknowledgement of the true Adventure People concept.

the_Archivist

Archivist
Officer Club
Dec 23, 2013
Atlanta
www.118archive.com
14 days left to go and about 7.5k until they reach their goal.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1728265268/the-new-adventure-people-0?ref=discovery

AdrienVeidt

Enlisted
Apr 11, 2015
I had (and still have, frankly) some issues with Zica's presentation, but I always liked the actual figures and am glad this came together. Now it's time for the usual too-long wait until they come in-hand.

the_Archivist

Archivist
Officer Club
Dec 23, 2013
Atlanta
www.118archive.com
I had (and still have, frankly) some issues with Zica's presentation, but I always liked the actual figures and am glad this came together. Now it's time for the usual too-long wait until they come in-hand.

October Toys was the same way but the product turned out really great. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and support the little guys every time. The product and person will determine how much I support but I like it when people at least attempt to take the risk to bring new products to the market.

AdrienVeidt

Enlisted
Apr 11, 2015
Tru'dat, man. I gave Zica some shit along the way, but I ultimately threw money at what I'm seeing as worthwhile product. I'll accept 'failings' by the small first-timers a lot more than from the big companies that have been at it for generations.

I've got $135 pledged for this, to get the All-In 7pack plus another Evil Henchman, but if the Trooper funds I'll just change the 2nd Henchman to the Trooper and paint his skin blue to make him the third guy on the Evil Action team.

AdrienVeidt

Enlisted
Apr 11, 2015
Strike Force Trooper factory sample! There's still some tweaking to be done but everything is still on schedule for a November release date.