Kickstarter - INVICTA Challenge

the_Archivist

Archivist
Officer Club
Dec 23, 2013
Atlanta
www.118archive.com
Here is a new Kickstarter campaign from Jim Murphy that includes some 4" Historical military figures sculpted by the 4 Horsemen. There are also some graphic novels and other stuff but I am mostly interested in the figures. More information can be found at the following link.

INVICTA Challenge - Kickstarter

The initial figure is Turner Turnbull and the buy in is $30. Turner Turnbull was a World War 2 paratrooper that was dispatched to Neuville during the Normandy invasion.

They also have a Theodore Roosevelt as a Rough Rider in the plans. I'm not sure if this one is 4" though.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Look like there are more than 12 points of articulation there. I can't say I care about any of the LCD stuff, and there isn't enough figure or accessory load out to justify $30 from me.

I can say a figural representation of my desire to bayonet Theodore Roosevelt in his fat, Bull Moose innards has my interest piqued.

the_Archivist

Archivist
Officer Club
Dec 23, 2013
Atlanta
www.118archive.com
Yeah it does seem that there is more than just 12 POA there. I guess it all depends on how you count them. I think the LDC stuff is an interesting concept but not one I have any particular interest in either. Although I do like that they want to do actual people. The story of the first guy is pretty interesting. I looked it up and read about him and his contributions for the D-Day invasion. If it does end up getting funded there may be a way to get just the figure later on just by itself.

I do really like the look of that Roosevelt figure. I hope it's 4"

Last edited:

the_Archivist

Archivist
Officer Club
Dec 23, 2013
Atlanta
www.118archive.com
So, I received an e-mail from Jim Murphy, the person in charge of the Kickstarter, asking me how I had heard about it etc. I asked him a couple questions about his plans and such. He replied with a pretty lengthy response so I will sum up some of the points.

• Teddy Roosevelt will be 4".
  • All figures will be 4" based on historical characters from both modern military and other stories of leadership. He mentioned a sports person that has already signed a contract for this.
  • The Kickstarter is just to get the line off the ground and there are some retailers lined up in 2015 to bring the rest of the line to market.
  • The Turner Turnbull figure is a premium offering and will only be through Kickstarter. The retail figures and LDC stuff will most likely be less than the $30.

He is also looking for input from the collector community so if you have any ideas or suggestions that would get you to support this line, what would it be?

Last edited:

the_Archivist

Archivist
Officer Club
Dec 23, 2013
Atlanta
www.118archive.com
Since this is going to be more of a Leaders line I would love to see some scientists.
Einstein being the #1 most wanted, some other ones I'd like to see in this line I think would work well with this format would be:

Nikolai Tesla
Carl Sagan
Thomas Edison
Steven Hawking

Authors like Mark Twain would be good too.

Presidents like Washington and Lincoln

Industry leaders like Elon Musk

Who would be a Leader you would like to see in action figure form?

WVMojo

Mocha Viper
Jul 20, 2011
Steve jobs holding an iPhone and iPad - jeans and a turtleneck with pushed up sleeves.
I like the scientist aspect.

Astronauts - could reuse the space suit and make an alternate with the flight suit.

A suited body and he could do a ton of Presidents, foreign leaders, etc.

the_Archivist

Archivist
Officer Club
Dec 23, 2013
Atlanta
www.118archive.com
Their last update said they would be announcing some of the additional historical soon.
He also said there would be "an amazing sports personality" that already is contractually agreed to be part of this. I'm not too keen on sports or their players but that could be interesting if they did a more civilian look rather than in their uniform.

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
I guess I just don't get it .

$80,000 needed to make a mold for a figure.

If I could get $80,000 start up for each project , we ALL would get everything we ever wanted in 1/18th scale at reasonable prices.

What a racket.

Vindicare86

TANSTAAFL
Apr 4, 2011
Germantown, MD
80,000 is for two figures, along with the marketing, hiring the Four Horsemen for sculpts, painting and other costs associated with a mass market release...

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
80,000 is for two figures, along with the marketing, hiring the Four Horsemen for sculpts, painting and other costs associated with a mass market release...

Yup, most of that is probably to cut steel molds for injection molding.

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
Yup, most of that is probably to cut steel molds for injection molding.

Yes injection molds are expensive . But there are alternatives .

If I would have done this for any of my creations I would be a millionaire by now.

I guess you really need to believe in the project to buy into this .

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
What other way is there to mass-produce a durable plastic product?

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
Their last update said they would be announcing some of the additional historical soon.
He also said there would be "an amazing sports personality" that already is contractually agreed to be part of this. I'm not too keen on sports or their players but that could be interesting if they did a more civilian look rather than in their uniform.

Pete Rose, he prob needs the money. Don King would be the shit, but doubtful. lol.

WVMojo

Mocha Viper
Jul 20, 2011
Jose Canseco with a pistol, baseball bat, steroids, and an extra hand with missing finger.

As an added bonus it comes with an alternate head so you can buy two and have Jose and his twin brother Ozzie.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Jose Canseco with a pistol, baseball bat, steroids, and an extra hand with missing finger.

As an added bonus it comes with an alternate head so you can buy two and have Jose and his twin brother Ozzie.

:lmao:

INVICTA Challenge

The Unwashed
Dec 5, 2014
Gents -

Thanks very much for discussing this thread. I appreciate the thoughts and questions. I unexpectedly wrote a book below.

If you can support us, please do so. If you are still trying to figure out whether you want to, you may find a rationale below:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/887725114/invicta-challenge-leadership-games-and-toys-for-bo

A little bit on me - I grew up in Rhode Island, and my aunt was a designer at Hasbro. She used to take me in there all the time; I was a real toy nut as a kid. I used to see the guys making GI Joe, and their long standing promise was to put my face on a Joe when I was old enough.

At least that was what was reported to me by my aunt. What do you know when you are a kid? When I went into the Marine Corps after college, that almost happened --- but that was literally as the line ended.

I have a deep love of toys in general and GI Joe in particular. After getting out of the Marine Corps, I was lucky enough to work in the industry, but on the other side of the country, at Mattel. I worked on a lot of collector stuff there, launching Matty Collector, relaunching MOTU, managing DCU Classics and so on. I even pushed for the DC line that was supposed to be four inches, but came out out at about mushy 3.5 inches, because I was a four inch fan. That was an epic corporate squabble - fighting over the right scale with my boss!

What Is This All About?

I was lucky enough to take a shot at my own company this year, and I wanted to do something that combined my passion for history, my love of toys, and my understanding of the boys' crisis in the United States.

(If you have not heard about the boys' crisis, I recommend reading about it. Boys are falling way behind in academic achievement and literacy in the United States.)

I think of what we are doing as a way of trying to be of service, through the free market. I do not have the temperament to be a classroom teacher, so this is what I came up with.

We are using Kickstarter, in the hope of replicating the Goldieblox experience. We are tracking well at the moment, but we need to continue to get the word out.

Answers to specific comments and questions:

• All the figures will be four inches. The TR is a 12 inch prototype, but we have deferred that scale until later.
  • The Archivist mentions that Turner Turnbull and his platoon served on D-Day. In fact, his platoon sergeant on that day, was Bob Niland. The Niland brothers were the basis for the Ryan family in Saving Private Ryan.
  • We will certainly tell stories about scientists and explorers, perhaps more than we will about military leaders. The thematic framing is to tell stories about physical, mental and moral leaders. No type of leadership exists in a vacuum, of course. One of these elements is more paramount than others, usually. For example, MLK showed great physical leadership at times, but he was primarily a moral leader. Moral leadership, of course, is the highest to attain.

• There was comment on cost, which I think was answered by a follow up comment. $80k would be to do two figures - Turnbull and TR. It all depends on production runs, but I am being conservative and assuming we will be on the low end for the Kickstarter. Given the time, effort and money I have spent on this project over the last year, I will lose money even at $80k. The upside is that if we can fund the Kickstarter, we have a decent shot at retail placement and making money next year. I make no apologies for that by the way. I am a capitalist with a family to support. :)
    [LIST}

I welcome any comments, questions or concerns. Thanks for your time and attention, and I hope that the folks here can support us.

Jim

WVMojo

Mocha Viper
Jul 20, 2011
Welcome to the site Jim. The historical aspect is fantastic. I for one would lose my mind if a Stonewall Jackson figure was produced.

I definitely agree about teaching values and morals to boys, teens, and even men, especially with trying to teach them how to grow up to be honorable men. I'm a Cubmaster for a small Pack, and it's a weekly struggle to teach these boys just the basics on manners, let alone what it means to be a leader.

All it takes is one kid to mention the "M word" (Minecraft) and we waste 10 minutes getting them back on track.

I think the biographies and back story about who these men were would be a huge benefit to go along with the figures. Growing up with GI Joes, I read and re-read file cards to know what their backgrounds were and what their specialties were. I really think the narratives that go along with the figures could have that same effect.

Right up until someone breaks out an iDevice and Minecraft loads.

Last edited:

INVICTA Challenge

The Unwashed
Dec 5, 2014
If we do Stonewall, he will come with a crate of 1/18th lemons.

In all seriousness, I do plan to let the community drive the character and leader selections, especially over time. I learned at least that much in the toy world!

Thanks for the comments.

WVMojo

Mocha Viper
Jul 20, 2011
If we do Stonewall, he will come with a crate of 1/18th lemons.

In all seriousness, I do plan to let the community drive the character and leader selections, especially over time. I learned at least that much in the toy world!

Thanks for the comments.

:thumbsup:

Make it peaches.

CaliViper

Enlisted
Oct 22, 2014
Why don't they make some generic soldiers from other eras? A union and confederate infantryman with different heads could be an easy sell.

INVICTA Challenge

The Unwashed
Dec 5, 2014
One story I am inclined to tell is about Joshua Chamberlain. He was an amazing leader and man - both during the war and for the rest of his life.

INVICTA Challenge

The Unwashed
Dec 5, 2014
Yes I agree on both of those. I think Alvin York is very timely, when the American people are grappling with issues of war and service.

the_Archivist

Archivist
Officer Club
Dec 23, 2013
Atlanta
www.118archive.com
Not sure what is going on but this Kickstarter was canceled. Maybe if Jim is still reading these here he can shed some light on the future for this line.

Hopefully he got some retail backing.

Apache26

Enlisted
Feb 3, 2013
I guess I just don't get it .

$80,000 needed to make a mold for a figure.

If I could get $80,000 start up for each project , we ALL would get everything we ever wanted in 1/18th scale at reasonable prices.

What a racket.

I guess that's what you pay in royalties for a sports star or to the Roosevelt estate. But I agree. Why fund something so outlandish? You could start a new toy company for that cash, do generic figures first and then worry about paying for likenesses later.

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
I want Alvin York and John J. Pershing.

I do admire Alvin and what he did.

The movie of his life is my favorite movie . Sgt. York staring Gary Cooper in the title role.

But Alvin was not a handsome man nor was his wife.

Maybe an Alvin York with a Gary Cooper head sculpt would be much better.

Alvin

Gary