Merit 1:18 SBD Dauntless preorders

Bravestarr

Molon Labe!
Founder
Mar 15, 2011
Well, we know the Admiral one is dead, so if you wanted one this is it. 150 ain't bad for an all new piece (you watching, Bbi?).

Just wish it was something Cold War---Current.

Just before they went down, 21st CT was developing a prototype of a 1:18 scale F-4 Phantom.

How awesome would that thing look with full ordnance?

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Just before they went down, 21st CT was developing a prototype of a 1:18 scale F-4 Phantom.

Would I have bought one? Hell yes. Do I believe it was ever anything more than vaporware? Lot on your knife.

YT1

NO LONGER A MEMBER
Mar 15, 2011
I believe they undercut some other company (BBI or Admiral) on the F-4 also, just like the A-10.

oldarmr

Enlisted
Jan 29, 2012

Ah, excuse me, theres a jet here?, oops, my bad someone did put a plane there.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
this...though obviously the vintage crowd is the squeakier wheel, either with their wallets or mouths...*sigh*

*Snickers*

you only need one bullet for each family member...

I eventually had to dispatch grandpa with a table leg. Bullets just wouldn't faze him.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Wow, way to go dark with it Eddie. :p

sorry...but doing the "The Road" thing and dragging around a family in an apocolytic world sounds like a worse time...potentially watching my family get harmed/raped/killed/starv seems much worse than ending it all really quick...

anyway, wrong thread...

Beeavision

A pirate's life for me!
Mar 14, 2011
Orlando, FL
Dang, I had to double check to see if I was in the right thread. You guys certainly know how to derail these threads. Anyhow the word on the streets are confirming that this model will be made of styrene and not abs. It will also be much thinner then the plastic were use to seeing in this scale. This only adds to the likely hood that Merit is working with Hobby Boss on this plane. If this plane is as fragile as they say then you can forget using it with G.I. Joes. DIY repaints could be out of the question too in fear of breakage. Some are even worried that a few maybe damaged prior to packaging in China only to see a large return rate from angry customers. Though using cheaper plastics and less of it does help bring costs down a bit. That could be the reason why the prices on these are lower then usual for this size to begin with. As they say, you get what you pay for. Lets hope this isn't the case.

Wild weasel

needs killer whale parts!
Jun 9, 2011
Styrenes fairly strong, you wouldn' want to drop it from 10 feet but shouldn't damage easily, except for things like pitot tubes

Beeavision

A pirate's life for me!
Mar 14, 2011
Orlando, FL
Sacrificing durablity for more detail seems to be the route being taken here in my opinion. Personly I don't mind it too much as long as I can assemble it and then hang it from my ceiling without snapping anything off.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
That's all well and good, but accidents do happen.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Wish I had that luck. Bbi plastic for the fucking win.

Beeavision

A pirate's life for me!
Mar 14, 2011
Orlando, FL
Jim at Merit just posted over on SSHQ site earlier today. This is what he had to say so far....

We thank you for your support and apologize to have raised so many concerns,.... Yes, there will be a model kit of the SBD-3 released as a model kit. This is our way to overcome the high cost of tooling and allow us to present all new tooling item to 1/18 collectors, as well as an item to invite model builders to join the 1/18 community. There are already talks that a few after-market companies also show support by making detail enhancing products for the SBD-3.

Like the SBD-3 at "Battle of Midway", our 1/18 SBD-3 will also serve as the turning point for the 1/18 collections and this is our Battle of Midway. With YOUR support, we can make this a success and to turn the tide to enable further expand of our collections in larger scales. Along the way, we are certain that there are things we have overlooked and improvements are being made which is exactly why the release date had been pushed back.

Please note the following on Merit's "Built n Painted" 1/18 SBD-3:

1. Nylon parts are being used from the beginning to strengthen certain areas.
2. Plastic are thinners and special designs are used for strengthening.
3. Screws are used in the assembly process.
4. Special attention was made during the design to achieve a balanced compromise for durability, play value, and scale effect.
5. We have used the SBD-3 paint master in our web site, and so the final product may look different.
6. The paint master is built with first test shot obtained in November 2011.
7. MIL-88001 is "Battle of Midway" marking SBD-3
MIL-88002 is "Battle of Coral Sea" marking SBD-3
8. MIL-88002 is released first in order to follow historical events.
9. All Merit items starts with "8"

We hope we have addressed some of your concerns and we will continue to work hard to bring in your 1/18 SBD-3 ASAP.
http://www.warbird-photos.com/gpxd/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25634&start=275

Beeavision

A pirate's life for me!
Mar 14, 2011
Orlando, FL
For a second there I was almost lead to believe in his first couple of statements that they were going to release this as a kit and not a per-assembled one. Anyhow, they still haven't addressed who is behind the making of this model. Merit is contracting it to somebody but who? My guess its Hobby Boss. But regardless this will certainly be a model kit as we previously suspected. As it is they had to push back the release date so they can spend more time on strengthening it. All in all though I'm still hopefully that everything will turn out great in the end.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
For a second there I was almost lead to believe in his first couple of statements that they were going to release this as a kit and not a per-assembled one. Anyhow, they still haven't addressed who is behind the making of this model. Merit is contracting it to somebody but who? My guess its Hobby Boss. But regardless this will certainly be a model kit as we previously suspected. As it is they had to push back the release date so they can spend more time on strengthening it. All in all though I'm still hopefully that everything will turn out great in the end.

A 1:18 model would be kind of cool, at least it wouldn't bother me greatly. Parts are bigger and easier to work with.

It would all come down to subject, and this one ain't it. "Battle of Midway" hyperbole aside if Merit releases a model, or something semi-pre-built even, in a subject that interests me I'll buy it if I at all possible.

Just don't try to guilt-trip me into buying a Dodge when I want a Ford.

Beeavision

A pirate's life for me!
Mar 14, 2011
Orlando, FL
Im confused.. are they only releasing the model version or are they releasing both?

It seems so convincing that what he's trying to tell us here is they are planing on releasing just a kit version to keep costs down. But the parts regarding the screws and paint scheme has me thinking otherwise. And this talk about 3rd parties willing to join in to make extra items for the this plane has me a bit concerned. If this is a complete model why would you need anything else. Maybe a couple of pilots but that should be about it.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
It seems so convincing that what he's trying to tell us here is they are planing on releasing just a kit version to keep costs down. But the parts regarding the screws and paint scheme has me thinking otherwise. And this talk about 3rd parties willing to join in to make extra items for the this plane has me a bit concerned. If this is a complete model why would you need anything else. Maybe a couple of pilots but that should be about it.

Smaller scale modeling is lousy with third party guys doing photo etch and parts kits to make models painfully accurate.

Dunno how it would apply here, as the scale should make it fairly easy to do a very accurate item right out of the gate, but whatever, it's not a big deal.

Beeavision

A pirate's life for me!
Mar 14, 2011
Orlando, FL
Actually I think I get what he's trying to say. They are planing on releasing a pre-built and a model kit version of this aircraft to help justify the cost of tooling for this item. By doing so it will help attract not only collectors like ourselves but model builders as well. Their hopes are to try and convince the the modeling communities that 1:18 is the way to go. If they cash in that could mean more sales for Merit and the very likelihood of new toolings of other aircraft in this scale in the near future. The part regarding 3rd parties willing to provide highly detailed swappable parts for aircraft in this scale will help encourage more modelers to want to join in.

Wild weasel

needs killer whale parts!
Jun 9, 2011

it sounds like a prebuilt and a kit. It also said the paintjob may be slightly different than the photos shown, they wouldn't have said paintjob if it was a kit with different marking options.

The aftermarket would be photoetched brass details, white metal landing gears, vacume formed canopies, aluminum gun barrels and stuff like that used on a model version.

With plastic models you can spend $60 on a kit and $300 in aftermarket(armor is the worst)