Micro Machine Alternatives.

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
I love Micro machines, especially the military stuff. It just goes so well with your big figures of Godzilla or your Gundam stuff. Even zoids are close enough to scale to stomp them. Having these massive little mini wars in your room as a kid was also bad ass.

Being a nostalgic retard like everyone else in mine and the last generation, I'm once again on the hunt for some on Ebay, but they are costing quite a bit of money (especially the military stuff). I want a cheaper alternative for the little micro scale men (and maybe vehicles too). They were kind of out of scale with the tanks, planes, and boats anyway so a newer easier to find and buy equivalent does not have to be exactly the same scale, just close enough. A trip to both Wal-mart and k-mart has quickly taught me that toy makers don't make stuff like this anymore.

suggestions?

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I think most of the Micro Machine troops were like, 1:80 scale. They were in no way in scale with ANY of the vehicles, but you could most likely find vehicle model kits for those.

But that's not what the question was.

I'll throw a Micro trooper in my pocket and see what's out there next time I'm in town.

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
nice finds. I thing Joshuagundamu sells those packs you found on Amazon K-tiger. I'll compare prices and the next time I can get a few dollars on Paypal I'll give these a try. How hard is it to paint stuff this small? I imagine it would take practice.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
http://www.plastic-army-men.com/index.php?cPath=1108_1120

These are probably a bit larger than the Micro figures, but I'll post them for posterity.

As for painting it, probably not hard. Intricate schemes/facial details are out of the question for the average painter, but you can probably differentiate their boots, LCE and weapon from the rest of the figure.

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
Thanks K-t. You've been a real help. Those mini army men from Amazon are about the same exact size as some of the micro machines figures. There is a comparison shot of the mini army guys next to a penny in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD39BUtFRQQ

They'll be perfect and way lest costly. Now to get some paint.

Fled74

Opinionated Arsehole
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
HobbyStop.webs.com
Companies like Italeri, Hasegawa and Airfix make 1/72 armor model kits, and these would probably be close enough in scale to display together.

EDIT: TRU also sells mini-diecast military vehicles under their True Heroes brand that would look good with the little army guys.

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Man, I had some 1:72ish Japanese Imperial Marines when I was a kid. No clue where I got them from, as they really weren't something a kid would have. Painted and everything. Love to know what manufacturer they were from.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011

Maybe not, after all. Look like they may be Action Fleet size.

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
yeah, I know Galoob made a series of toys called Combat Squad or something. It was basically action fleet but with real world military equipment like F4 phantoms and Merkavas that were to scale with the figures (or you could at least put the figures in them). Those army guys look like they're about that scale.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Man you guys are talking my language! I love me some 1/72 scale figures. Between my son and I, we have a few different genres in this scale.

derek_001

Banned
Dec 12, 2011
Cordell, Oklahoma
on the first page pcsguy said something about toy train guys witch are perfect ive been working with HO scale trains for as long as i can remember and you can go to a local hobby store like hobby lobby and pick up a dozen for 2 to 3 dollors and thay make perfect alt...

Gungho-joe

Enlisted
Apr 1, 2011
Ohio
I am big into model railroading and I have found that Hobby Lobby is a good place to find soldiers that are 1/72nd scale. I have spent many hours painting Joes and Cobras and once my model train layout is finished Cobra is going to invade!!!!!!

Dr Syn

humerus
Mar 27, 2011
Man you guys are talking my language! I love me some 1/72 scale figures. Between my son and I, we have a few different genres in this scale.

on the first page pcsguy said something about toy train guys witch are perfect ive been working with HO scale trains for as long as i can remember and you can go to a local hobby store like hobby lobby and pick up a dozen for 2 to 3 dollors and thay make perfect alt...

1/72 is the shit, my brother (older) and I had a ton of Esci, Revell and Airfix
figure sets. Mostly of the Napoleonic era. But we also had a bunch of WW2 and Cold War (then modern era) figures we'd use with assembled and sometimes painted vehicles and helicopters on old bed sheets with books underneath for hills and wood blocks for buildings. Good times. Or the Sand Pit we had which was shaped like Australia minus Tasmania.

yeah, I know Galoob made a series of toys called Combat Squad or something. It was basically action fleet but with real world military equipment like F4 phantoms and Merkavas that were to scale with the figures (or you could at least put the figures in them). Those army guys look like they're about that scale.

That's the one, they looked really cool. I was a big fan of the Star Wars Actionfleet, never saw the Tie Defender or E-Wing from the expanded Universe, sadly. Those go for a pretty penny these days.

I am big into model railroading and I have found that Hobby Lobby is a good place to find soldiers that are 1/72nd scale. I have spent many hours painting Joes and Cobras and once my model train layout is finished Cobra is going to invade!!!!!!

So long as you promise to take a ton of pictures.

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
I could have sworn that I saw some little model guys you could buy in a place like Michaels that are from all sorts of eras, like ww2 and the Korean war (the two I remember seeing in there). I think they were around $8-$10 for a pack of them if I remember correctly.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011

Goddamn, I'd forgotten how much I loved Micro Machines. These were what I was into after Joe passed away. Good times in the backyard on Ft. Hood.

Wish I had a non-eBay outlet for these things.

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
Yeah, they were awesome. I use to have a bunch of stuff like a B1 and B2 bomber, a Black hawk, a t-80, a Chapparel, a PT boat, a battleship but then my neighbor stole them. I don't know who to be the most pissed at, the person who betrayed me or my parents for not confronting the neighbors about it at all.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Yeah, the PBR is on my "list". Loved that one as a kid.

Am I the only one that remembers the color-changing battleships/carriers? They weren't Micro Machines, but off-brand, similar to the Funrise/Micro Champs vehicles.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011

Goddamn, I'd forgotten how much I loved Micro Machines. These were what I was into after Joe passed away. Good times in the backyard on Ft. Hood.

I had some of those! They look awesome

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
Last edited:

malcadon

H8ter4life
Mar 14, 2011
Pimpvile
I have been collecting military-themed MicroMachines (including tiny army-men for infantry squads) for my mecha-themed wargames (Battletech, Heavy Gear, etc.). If not for the fact that I lost all of my old MegaForce vehicles, and Xpanders & Army Gear army-men, I would have some cool-ass game props!

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Malcadon, can you post pics of what you have? I'd love to see your collection!

Another thing I have in this vein that I love (K mentioned)...small war ships! I have a few that came on a cheap blister card from a local grocery store, a destroyer, an air craft carrier and a few small boats, tugs maybe? I recently found a few at the local Dollar Tree but they are a little bit bigger than the ones I have. I didn't need the same ships in just a slightly larger scale so I bought them for my oldest son.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I'd love to see those small ones, Drop. Really hate that the Micro Machine relaunch didn't take.

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
Really hate that the Micro Machine relaunch didn't take.

That's because Hasbro ruined it. I've seen shitty repaints before during the post Jurassic Ass 3 era, but Hasbro micro machines take the cake. Have you seen that shitty cobra tank that's a WWII German Elephant? The paint scheme on that made me want to puke! The later Micro Machines around 2003(04,05,06?) were also really lazy and boring to look at. They wouldn't even paint the canopies on some of the helicopters and airplanes. Some of the GI Joe ones are ok, but man Hasbro just didn't have a clue on how to paint those things. It also didn't help that the new play-sets they designed looked more like cheap stupid ass Hot Wheels play-sets except they're smaller and cost the same.

On a somewhat unrelated I just noticed last night that my Axis and Allies figures from the board game box are also the exact same size as the Micro Machine Figures except they have a thicker base. I'm thinking about replacing my stolen battle ship with an Axis and Allies miniature. Time to go to a game store!

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I had a set of the 2006ish Micros. I didn't know there was a Micro Ka-50 (released after I moved on from MMM) so I picked up that set. Didn't care for any of the Joe Micro Machines.

Last edited:

Dr Syn

humerus
Mar 27, 2011

Oh man, I do remember these!

Though all I have left somewhere are two F-15s (Dark grey camo), an A-10, the Jolly Rogers F-14 and a F-16 in a tan and green colour scheme.

Loved the landing gear too.

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
I still got my Terror Troops Ka-50. It and my BRDM-2 AT5 are the two Terror Troops vehicles that weren't taken.

I've started on painting the figures I got from Hobby Lobby yesterday. I've only painted one Chinese soldier that's throwing a grenade and it took quite a few minutes before I was done. The magnifying glass screws with my depth perception but I got the deed done mostly. I guess I could have painted the whole uniform tan or brown, but the plastics grey color is good enough for me because it reminds me of the old Terror Troops guys anyway. I got the flesh, bandolier, hair, boots , and grenade painted. Now I just need to find a working camera.

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
Ok, I painted a few figures over the weekend using some paints and tools my brother and law let me use. I think these Hobby Lobby figures are ever so slightly taller than the Micro Machines but not by much.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I think they're damn close enough. Not all of the MM figures were in-scale with each other. The tanker comes to mind.

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
yeah. I guess that just goes back to the whole "there are all kinds of people" thing.

malcadon

H8ter4life
Mar 14, 2011
Pimpvile
Hay! Nice set, Lancelot! Those are the types of micro-armymen that I have been trying to get for my mecha-themed wargames.

I cannot express enough how awesome the Xpanders troops are. They look awesome, and I love all the little details. If I had a full set of them, I would make rubber molds of them, and then duplicate them at my leisure. Then I would have whole armies of those high-tech badasses!

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
you know I had a couple more of those dudes in other poses. I want to say I found them in a place like big lots or something.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I recall having big plans when I bought the shuttle Tydirium model kit. I think the original SW micro machine figures were about the right size and I planned on getting tons of the imperial troops, officers and such and making a huge diorama of when the emperor and Vader came to see the new death star.

Never happened, but it looked cool in my mind's eye. :)

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
You could still do it. Those Micro Machine Star Wars figures go for rather cheap on Ebay, Especially imperial pilots.