Multicam?

thecorporation

Task Force 27
Jun 9, 2011
Redacted
I have been trying and failing to figure out to paint a good multicam pattern. Has any one else had any luck with it? Care to share any secrets?

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
Painting it on will really take some time. I'm not sure if it will work as well on figures but I just use a sponge to put the patterns on vehicles I do. I'm sure you could use one if you cut a small enough square to apply it.

Here's a reference shot:

Wild weasel

needs killer whale parts!
Jun 9, 2011
^that works great on figures to. I'd suggest on larger surfaces you sand it with fine sandpaper after sponging as it will leave a rough and odd looking(unnatural, that was the word I was lookin for) texture

Wild weasel

Jun 9, 2011
I find it hard to believe they need camo below the waterline.. and that camo is going to work on the open water??? Should be dark blue or black :D

Maybe if it was hiding on shore I suppose.. but still..

Do I need to mention the arah cartoon with shipwreck drivin a boat in the middle of the desert :rolleyes:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Do I need to mention the arah cartoon with shipwreck drivin a boat in the middle of the desert :rolleyes:

Pfft, better than the mermaid episode.

Like anyone was buying that Shipwreck was straight.

thecorporation

Task Force 27
Jun 9, 2011
Redacted
so... no one knows how to do multicam? J/k I'm enjoying the lighthearted witty banter. I should clarify that this is the pattern I'm after:

not the UCP which looks like this:

I think I'm getting close, i just need to practice some more.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
That's just something you've got to get at it and paint. There isn't any easy shortcuts like with digital patterns.

Wild weasel

Jun 9, 2011
Just a lot of patience, light, and lack of shakiness of the hand and the smallest damn brush you can get

Fled74

Opinionated Arsehole
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
HobbyStop.webs.com
Sometimes with small-scale figures, just the suggestion of detail is usually enough. Look at the camo paint jobs on the FOV Rangers for example. It's not accurate or true-to-scale but it looks "right".

I tried something similar with my custom Echo Team guys, just applying splotches with a small brush. It's not "finescale", but it's effective.

thecorporation

Task Force 27
Jun 9, 2011
Redacted
Sometimes with small-scale figures, just the suggestion of detail is usually enough. Look at the camo paint jobs on the FOV Rangers for example. It's not accurate or true-to-scale but it looks "right".

This is what I've been trying to do, there are just way to many colors in multicam to do it true-to-scale, but as of yet I haven't found the right combination of faking it to look right. Was hoping somebody else had already stumbled on a recipe. I'll keep trying.

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I don't have the patience. Every time I think I did good I see something someone else did here with mad skills and decide to go solid colors.

Fled that looks pretty good.

In an urban environment I wondered how good multi cam works. I mean there are a lot of straight lines, box and rectangular shapes and blocks of solid colors. In jungles and forests I can see the need obviously.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
It seems to work in the environments the Marines are currently seeing. Far better than the ACU digital, that really isn't working well anywhere.

Midget

Resident Jarhead
Mar 14, 2011
Old Dominion
People tend to forget that after about a day in a combat zone your cammies are going to end up looking like whatever you're mucking about it. They just kind of absorb the environment around you, especially the lighter-colored ones. As long as you're not wearing straight-black field uniforms, you're going to end up camouflaged one way or another.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Pfft, better than the mermaid episode.

Like anyone was buying that Shipwreck was straight.

well that explains why he was my fave Joe :rolleyes:

In an urban environment I wondered how good multi cam works. I mean there are a lot of straight lines, box and rectangular shapes and blocks of solid colors. In jungles and forests I can see the need obviously.

makes me wonder if some sort of berlin cammo scheme might be cool on a uniform