My first dio WIP

alcinde4

Kicker of asses and such
May 16, 2011
Atlanta, GA
This is my first foray into the wonderful world of dioramas. I must admit, I've been extremely, EXTREMELY intimidated by some of the dios I've seen you guys do here. My only hope is to be half as good as some of you.

It's just a WIP at this point, and any creative input/constructive criticism is welcome. A brief synopsis of what's going on:

Destro is brokering a huge weapons/drug deal between the Red Skull and Cobra Commander. They meet at a Cobra warehouse. All parties involved are armed to the teeth, as there is very little trust in this ever so precarious "partnership".

Last edited:

alcinde4

Kicker of asses and such
May 16, 2011
Atlanta, GA

I couldn't/can't decide on which Destro to use, between the 25th IG versions and the POC one. That's why there's unopened carded figures laying out there.

I'm still looking for all the variations of the Hydra troops to flesh out Red Skull's ranks. Since he's largely outnumbered between Cobra and the IG's.
I'm debating on some sort of MU/Joe hybrid team to infiltrate the compound and fuck some shit up. Any suggestions will be gladly welcomed.

Also, the Steel gray structure on the far left with the shiny silver inside, will serve as the office section of the warehouse. I'm still working on building shelves for it to look a 2-story building.

After this dio is done, that building will be reconstructed into a badass Danger Room.

Charade

Enlisted
Apr 12, 2011
Looking good so far, man. My only criticism: Destro is too classy of a man to be dealing in drugs. Weapons, on the other hand, are a respectable man's business. ;)

Throw a couple "hidden" Cobra and IG snipers in there...

Can't wait to see how this progresses. Keep us updated. Looking forward to your Danger Room.

alcinde4

Kicker of asses and such
May 16, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Thanks for the comments guys. The guardhouse is actually a bird-feeder that I found at Hobby Lobby and did some modifications to.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
nice big dio...i see lots of potential...i'd add some paint to the guard shack and maybe weather/wash the vehicles for a bit of added realism...

also, the drugs threw me off too...i really can't picture either faction dealing with them...maybe some kinda of chemial weapon or troop enhancing drug?

alcinde4

Kicker of asses and such
May 16, 2011
Atlanta, GA
You're right Charade and Eddie. I think I'll eliminate the drug element altogether. And I just started saran wrapping little piles of flour too. :p

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
Looking great so far! Can't wait to see how this turns out.

As for the Destro, I would use the 25th Sunbow one or his 25th IG since you have the IG's. I don't see a problem with the drug element. Drugs=$$$. Maybe a a chemical drug or something... like anthrax?

My only suggestion right now is to eliminate the stands which I'm sure your going to do anyway.

Keep us updated.

alcinde4

Kicker of asses and such
May 16, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Looking great so far! Can't wait to see how this turns out.

As for the Destro, I would use the 25th Sunbow one or his 25th IG since you have the IG's. I don't see a problem with the drug element. Drugs=$$$. Maybe a a chemical drug or something... like anthrax?

My only suggestion right now is to eliminate the stands which I'm sure your going to do anyway.

Keep us updated.

I also have the POC IG's (they're carded on the table also), because I wasn't sure which direction to go. The new IG's are armed so heavily, that it would end up being a really ugly bloodbath in such a confined space. Not that that's a bad thing. ;)

And yeah, the stands are just a place holder for now, so I don't keep getting the domino effect while I'm trying to finalize how this will all look.

And I like the sound of the anthrax thing. That would give me a reason to use the Hazard Vipers. :)

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
were did you get those Bruder vehicles and how much did they cost? I like how you've incorporated them. I'd like to have a scene of a DHL van/truck full of B.A.Ts surprise attacking some Joes, but it's very expensive.

alcinde4

Kicker of asses and such
May 16, 2011
Atlanta, GA
were did you get those Bruder vehicles and how much did they cost? I like how you've incorporated them. I'd like to have a scene of a DHL van/truck full of B.A.Ts surprise attacking some Joes, but it's very expensive.

The Bruder vehicles I got from a couple different places. I used this site whose prices aren't too bad:

http://www.thinkfasttoys.com/s?sear...description&searchRank=salesrank&searchPage=1

I also used Amazon, which is where I got the best deals.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
I also have the POC IG's (they're carded on the table also), because I wasn't sure which direction to go. The new IG's are armed so heavily, that it would end up being a really ugly bloodbath in such a confined space. Not that that's a bad thing. ;)

And yeah, the stands are just a place holder for now, so I don't keep getting the domino effect while I'm trying to finalize how this will all look.

And I like the sound of the anthrax thing. That would give me a reason to use the Hazard Vipers. :)

I would stay away from the poc Ig's but that's just me. I figured the stands were place holders only.

That would be cool. Not sure why so many people are turned off about the drugs thing. After all these are terrorists here, they don't exactly have high morals. :)

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
Well if you use POC IG figures I would almost try to switch the armor with POC Destro (wave 4) for a more urban look. Then they don't look so mismatched. Destro could very well be slangin' some type of dope. He likes money and it will bring it in. I'd almost throw together a Headman somehow to cooperate with him though if you go that route. Can't taint the family image. :D

Lots of great props there. This has some serious potential. May want to put a solid color background behind the scene and then photoshop a scene behind everything. It's kind of a pain but if you pull it off can look balla'.