My HO 229 Build

YT1

NO LONGER A MEMBER
Mar 15, 2011
I'm on vacation this week, so my goal is to build it this week. I started by washing off all the parts with Comet.

Looks to be a beauty! Nice work PH. :thumbsup:

YT1

NO LONGER A MEMBER
Mar 15, 2011
This project got bumped for the 229... :(

Some filling, just minor pinholes for the most part, nothing to speak of for a kit of this complexity.

Dremmel mix up

The fit on this one exhaust is problematic, the other is perfect.

Painting the engines

I've got a special project for these... :wink:

Priming with self-etching primer.

Lots of bits!

YT1

NO LONGER A MEMBER
Mar 15, 2011
Not much of an update, just dry fitting it. I have to tackle the gap in the wings next. It looks so impressive with the wings fitted.

Big arse wheel!

Last edited:

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
Your 229 is coming along great !!

I have seen the self etching paint at O'Rielys and never used any of it.

I choose to use the sandable primer instead.

Does it stick good ? The regular primer is so-so.

How does it and ? The sandable I use sands well. The sealer primer ( I use that as well )does a good job sealing but gums up a little when sanding.

YT1

NO LONGER A MEMBER
Mar 15, 2011
I like it because it won't come off if you have to do any masking. It is a little thick and can be rough to sand. I hate rattle can paints, but primer options are limited.

Wild weasel

needs killer whale parts!
Jun 9, 2011
I personally prefer the fine tamiya primer, expensive but by far the best stuff out there(IMO), definately worth giving a shot if you guys haven't tried it.

This is lookin good YT, do you have any pics of the scheme your gonna do?

YT1

NO LONGER A MEMBER
Mar 15, 2011
I personally prefer the fine tamiya primer, expensive but by far the best stuff out there(IMO), definately worth giving a shot if you guys haven't tried it.

How well will it "bite" into resin? I started using this etching stuff because of fiberglass kits and just stuck with it for everything other than styrene.

Wild weasel

Jun 9, 2011
How well will it "bite" into resin? I started using this etching stuff because of fiberglass kits and just stuck with it for everything other than styrene.

I use it on my 1/35th tanks and have had any problems with adhesion to photoetched brass or resin, it's definately worth giving a try

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com

This is lookin good YT, do you have any pics of the scheme your gonna do?

Tamiya rattle cans are amazing when used properly. Goes on so thin it is impossible to tell that the plastic is not molded in that color. Way too damn expensive, but worth every penny for those special projects.. :thumbsup:

Wild weasel

Jun 9, 2011
and tamiya's primeris FAR superior to their standard spray cans, somehow, damn japs :D

YT1

NO LONGER A MEMBER
Mar 15, 2011
I obviously did not achieve my goal of finishing before I went back to work. Now everything is moving at a snail's pace. Work is off the hook busy so I am just getting a little time at night after the kids are put to bed.

The wing seams were real rough to fill. I really wish I would have spent more time fitting and aligning them. It would have saved me a ton of time and putty. I got the bare metal I plan on leaving behind the engines painted also.

Last edited:

YT1

NO LONGER A MEMBER
Mar 15, 2011
Got the filling done, it is not perfect but will have to do:

Laid down the base coat:

It looks very green and glossy, but subsequent processes will take care of that. (Hopefully)

YT1

NO LONGER A MEMBER
Mar 15, 2011
That is A LOT of masking tape! Looks good so far! I can't imagine the amount of paint that must take?

It will end up taking 2 full rattle cans of primer, but only 1 little Modelmaster bottle through the airbrush for the base coat per side and about 1/4 bottle for the camo. Using an airbrush certainly does cut down on the volume. I probably over did it on the masking, but after I spen all that time outlining the camo, I didn't want any over spray. I just using cheap masking tape to prickly cover in between. I have spent much more time masking other projects, where precision was much more critical than on this.

YT1

NO LONGER A MEMBER
Mar 15, 2011
I got the cockpit cage assembled and the dials decaled.

Painted. I just need to glass the dials and paint some details like the stick and seat cushion.

Got the bottom on and the cockpit and canopy installed.

OH THE HUMANITY!!!!!!
Then I noticed a huge crack in the filler on the wing. I am not sure if I flexed it by installing the screws on the bottom or when I pushed down to install the screws. Either way it made me sick!

The auto filler I use is not flexible, so I am going to try Milliput to attach and fill the wing at the same time!

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
If you are going to make the wings fixed, you could probably zip a couple of screws from the body into the wing root.

That way it will be a mechanical connection and should hold up to wing flex forces.

YT1

NO LONGER A MEMBER
Mar 15, 2011
I fixed the crack in the wing and got back to the build.

One change I wanted to make was to have the forward gear door attached to the wheel and split in the back like the models I have seen in my research. I really like the look of a number on the door.

Sawed up the landing bay door.

It took a lot of work to get the doors symmetrical.

I skinned over the front with thin styrene sheet.

I also got the bottom painted.

You can't tell from this picture but is is Grau.

Midget

Resident Jarhead
Mar 14, 2011
Old Dominion
Glad you got that crack fixed! Still looking great so far!

Wish I had room for something this big. 1:48 is about as large as I can go, without the wife flipping out. Wish I could find one of these in the smaller scale- all I've found them is 1:72

YT1

NO LONGER A MEMBER
Mar 15, 2011
I got the yellow nose painted and the gloss coat for decals down:

The decals did something I have never seen, they were quite cloudy underneath the clear areas. I got quite freaked out and started running all these worst case scenerios though my head.

After about 2 hours, I guess when they had dried completely, they were fine!

YT1

NO LONGER A MEMBER
Mar 15, 2011
I used the Dubro hinges. It was tricky and I didn't do a very good job, I'm not sure it was worth the effort but I am glad the control surfaces do have some movement.

Top is pretty much done:

I am getting so close to being done with this beast, I am to that point where excitement has turned to resentment and I am just ready to be done!