On the Workbench

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I was fiddling with my olive drab Shock Troopers, and i do believe that the tackiness has gone. I need to lay hands on the pilot, but I'm thinking I'm gonna be very happy with this news.

Midget

Resident Jarhead
Mar 14, 2011
Old Dominion
Have you been getting that too? I've noticed the POC figures seem to get it more than the 25th figures. I can't figure out what's causing it.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Well, 99% of the painting on these has been rattle can, and even using Fusion all the non-torso, thigh or knee parts are tacky because of the soft plastic.

It looks like in my case, though, that it's starting to cure up. Team leader still has noticeable tack, but he's the youngest in terms of completion.

Now, if you're using acrylics then something sounds up.

Midget

Resident Jarhead
Mar 14, 2011
Old Dominion
It might be the primer then. That's really the only explaination. I guess it's just taking longer to cure than usual.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I know the Viper head i painted back when i did the Shock-Viper hybrid still isn't completely cured, and is tacky even through the acrylic topcoat.

I oughta just find out if they did a black Viper head in the 25th line.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Hmm, probably won't be coming across one of those, then.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Viper that came with the FANG/Glider did, too. A lot of people used that torso for customs. Hell, I used it for two but I traded off one helmet and got the other torso in trade.

Cloud was looking for the same Viper for his torso, check with him if he'll send you the head?

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I reckon i could always strip the paint and dye the one I've got.

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Fogger!!! Nice to see some stuff from you. Great job, looking forward to seeing more.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Now pondering a khaki Shock Trooper. I imagine it'll look like a Cobra Ghostbuster. *rubs chin, packs Cavendish in pipe.*

SlayerDave

Enlisted
Jun 27, 2011
Here, like this. I can break out the explanations for each step if you like, but it should be pretty self-explanatory from the pics. I left the "wet" paint slightly lighter for the flesh tone to better illustrate the "live" paint.

Hey Rex you mind if I post this on the slayer forum as well, its awesome and will really help folks?

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Nah that's fine. Post away. :)

Just make sure you host it on the site (or upload it via the forum software, whatever) as I may one day move my links around or delete some stuff from my own server.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Think I've got something novel worked out for my Zed.

I'll know once the head get's here-a.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
SO, turns out Marauder has an M4 with carry handle, so i should be able to replicate the M4A1s used in S.W.A.T. pretty closely. Yay, Hondo joins the Joes!

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Just got to work out what to use for a vest, along with how i want to handle the ear piece. I could go Marauder, but it's not very accurate.

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
With my internet down now for 2 weeks because of the verizon strike it's amazing how much stuff (family, work and hobby) you can get done with less time in front of a monitor.

Blackberry has saved my ass, but it sucks.

Sticking to hobby stuff I've finished my jeep to Rover, a few figure customs and for the first time a true rifle custom.

I took a FOV M14 and made it to resemble the rifle made in the American. Can't wait to post it.

I've been hooked on that show "Sons of Guns" and just saw them make an AK sniper rifle. So sweet looking, I may try it 1:18 style.

Verizon said they'll have a tech out on the 29th. Bunch of shit, they are just hoping strike is over by then. They were out doing work on a house down the street and about 6 picketers were standing around his truck in front of someone's home.

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
No, he made a .308 Saiga sniper rifle.

That show is so fucking irritating. What in the fuck is the point of a silenced Mk.19?

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
With my internet down now for 2 weeks because of the verizon strike it's amazing how much stuff (family, work and hobby) you can get done with less time in front of a monitor.

Blackberry has saved my ass, but it sucks.

Sticking to hobby stuff I've finished my jeep to Rover, a few figure customs and for the first time a true rifle custom.

I took a FOV M14 and made it to resemble the rifle made in the American. Can't wait to post it.

I've been hooked on that show "Sons of Guns" and just saw them make an AK sniper rifle. So sweet looking, I may try it 1:18 style.

Verizon said they'll have a tech out on the 29th. Bunch of shit, they are just hoping strike is over by then. They were out doing work on a house down the street and about 6 picketers were standing around his truck in front of someone's home.

Thats a bunch of shit, I understand the right to assembly, but come-on have a little respect for the man at his house. Not his f'n fault. Want to picket Verizon, do it on their property, not some random homeowners. They did that shit at my house, it would be hard for me to not wet them pricks down with my Tippman A-5

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
There I go again, getting the weapon names wrong again.

Come on though KT, that show isn't all that bad. You get to see some historical guns and as far as the way out there stuff, that's just good ole American fun. Dream up something cool and ridiculous and see if you can make it.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
It wasn't your mistake, it was deceptive language on their parts. They kept calling it an AK, and while the Saiga uses a Kalashnikov style action, it's not the same thing.

An AK is chambered in 7.62x39mm, and isn't in the same ballpark ballistically-speaking to a .308.

They could have put a match barrel on a ROMAK III (7.62x54R) and got a similar result. *shrugs* I did think the MG 42 Vierling was cool, though I doubt he's using war-production 42s if he's only paying 2K each.

Would have loved to see a Maxon Quad on there.

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
Thats a bunch of shit, I understand the right to assembly, but come-on have a little respect for the man at his house. Not his f'n fault. Want to picket Verizon, do it on their property, not some random homeowners. They did that shit at my house, it would be hard for me to not wet them pricks down with my Tippman A-5

Your right to free assembly ends at my property line. They would not have pulled that on me, I'd have had all of them charged with trespassing at minimum.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Oh, nothing for you Jet-Jockeys. Also trying to 1950s tart-up my Spy Lounge figure and am pondering a Baseball Furies custom.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Hollowed out German pilot head. It'll fit on pin headed figures with long neck pretty well (Barriss Offee, fore example) but if I want "universal usage" I'll need to nix the throat mic and cut the chin strap.

I think I'll wait for some parts to materialize to do a female Joe or F.L.A.G. (I really need to change that team name) pilot named Wasp and use it on her.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Yup, the neck goes though the mics and all.

Ugh, gotta come up with a Mexican skintone.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Har har, surprisingly not so clear cut.

I just need a good skin tone. I think this is one time I need to give up on my cheap paints and see if I can find a Citadel color in the comic shop in Killeen.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Think I'm gonna nut up and do things the hard way.

I need to do some sanding on the forearms anyhow to take away the straps. Gives me time to mull over paint stratagems.