Project: WIP 1/18 - Pick-up Paramilitary

alexone

Enlisted
Nov 1, 2014
Hello fighters,
I have a project in mind, I'd like to change a pick-up in 1/18 scale and make it paramilitary for do a diorama 1/18 like this (scale 1/35)

Starting Point:

I would take a cue from the links below, unfortunately I can not find pick-up 1/18 Toyota or Nissan, but only Ford, you say okay? Any other ideas? Has anyone done something like this?

Link scale 1/35 for idea
MENG-MODEL
MENG-MODEL

I would like to make it aged, dirty, rusty, dented, stripped, pitted, then you understand, if you have any advice or links thank you.

PS one big problem is to find accessories in 1/18 scale ...

Thanks so much.

alexone

Enlisted
Nov 1, 2014
does not have a point actually :)
let's see what I find on the bay and other online sites ...

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Ah, the venerable technical. Using a Ford as a base isn't so much an issue as getting a gun for it. It's true that practically anything could be used, the most likely candidates are Soviet-made heavy machine guns and light AAA pieces. Unfortunately, none of that exists in 1:18.

Now, to what DOES.

21st did a PKM, but it was pretty anaemic in size. Bbi did a 106mm M40 recoilless rifle for their Super Humvee which would be a great candidate for a technical. A katyusha-style launcher (banks of launch tubes, 6-8 or so) would be very doable home build.

As an aside, the PTE Chinese FAV comes with a 12.7mm W85 machine gun. Not exactly a realistic choice, but they FAVs are cheap and available this moment, and are pretty nice in their own right.

Hell, go crazy and slap a Maxson Quadmount on there. :D

Last edited:

alexone

Enlisted
Nov 1, 2014
Hi K-Tiger,
Today I walked around shopping centers but could not find pickup, probably in a few weeks for Christmas the shelves are full of pick-up to be able to break apart and do what I have and maybe even some weapon scaling is not too realistic but toy fot make the scene ...
Indeed, it will be difficult to find something Soviet-made ...

Thanks for the tips of the names of the brands, already a PKM on the roof would not be bad just for aesthetics, I also saw the BBI M40, pretty and scenic ..
The Katyusha-style launcher is really simple to do, I can think of ...
The W85 with a tripod placed in the chest behind it would not be a bad idea ... it would be one that would be better ...

The fact is that online is difficult find weapons in scale 1/18 ... :(

alexone

Enlisted
Nov 1, 2014
I've wondered too ... too bad that the market for 1/18 is still a little bit, maybe see them more as show models for children ... in other scales 1/43 1/35 there really is everything and many optional

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Looks like there might be some cheap RC ones out there.. wonder if you could take the shell off and attach it to a different undercarriage.. seems like a lot of work.

Best bet is to find whatever you can, and weather the shit out of it till its practically unrecognizable anyway.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
The Lanard pick-up came the closest, but try finding one. Could always Tonka truck it.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
There's a pretty nice truck made by New Ray toys as part of their hunting line. It's just shy of 1:18th. The only problem is it has a camo pattern painted all over it.

alexone

Enlisted
Nov 1, 2014
Looks like there might be some cheap RC ones out there.. wonder if you could take the shell off and attach it to a different undercarriage.. seems like a lot of work.
Best bet is to find whatever you can, and weather the shit out of it till its practically unrecognizable anyway.
actually the body could be recovered from a rc vehicle, the probrem is that surely would be much more than the final cost ... I see if I can find something but my fear is that the body is not detailed or precise scale...

The Lanard pick-up came the closest, but try finding one. Could always Tonka truck it.
The Lanard approaches to pick up but I would like something more detailed and realistic ... with the "Tonka" intedi the big trucks of rock quarries or tonka ford f150?

This company used to have licensed cars, Dodge, Toyota, Ford, Hummer, Jeep.. now their cars seem kinda generic.. maybe try to find an older set with one of the good trucks?
Seen one on ebay but as for the Lanard it seems too "more" toy and "less" realistic, I would like something that looked realistically at Maisto Humvees that I put in the custom to make a realistic scene. The other 2 links ebay have the same problem, less realistic. :(

There's a pretty nice truck made by New Ray toys as part of their hunting line. It's just shy of 1:18th. The only problem is it has a camo pattern painted all over it.
This already is closer to something realistic painting ... not a big deal, so I have to remove, sand, paint, rust, ammaccara, drill with drill ... almost I should try to pick up children means broken :)

:crying:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Way back in the old days Tonka did a generic American pick up truck. It would be pretty dated even in an Afghanistan dio

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I spotted this set at one of the local ag. supply type places...

It's pink! SOOOO MUCH PINK!!!111111!!! But I trust my friend Krylon Fusion and I believe with it's help I can get that truck under control. I also plan on trying to remove that extended cab, which will be tricky.

I'll either be making this into a technical, or a post-nuking traffic burnout.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
But do they have them for $17?

That's why I bought this despite the bright colors. All the other sets that contain this truck in white run from $24 - 30....and that's IF you find them in a B&M store. Online it gets worse with shipping. So I figured for $17 I could deal with the pink. I went ahead and grabbed it now because I figured once black Friday hit, I wouldn't see it again.

alexone

Enlisted
Nov 1, 2014
you spent very little ... here in the malls ... I can not find anything online with the shipping arrival 50 / 55dollari and I wanted to spend less ... still looks as close to Christmas offers

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I can't find anything on it other than an eBay Australia auction.

daremo

Officer III
Sep 12, 2011
Google "1:18 Diecast Isuzu Dmax pick up" and you'll get a lot of auctions. I haven't seen any of them listing who makes it. Being diecast, it is pricey.

blackblast

Enlisted
Feb 3, 2013
I'll check the brand on the box, i've bought one for 70USD on ebay.
You can find it on ebay as 1:18 DMAX or 1:18 Isuzu.
There is also a 1:18 truck.

I can review both at night.