PTE A-10 repaint

pcoughran

Enlisted
Jul 30, 2011
Continuing with another repaint I did several years ago that got lost, here's my PTE A-10. This was the first repaint of a 1/18 (well not quite) model.
Here's how the ugly beast came:

Here's my inspiration:

And my repaint:

Fled74

Opinionated Arsehole
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
HobbyStop.webs.com
Stunning work, man. I'm doing the exact same thing with my own A-10, except I'm working out how to cover up the undersides of the wings.
I love how you brought out the panel details with a wash, and the dummy canopy markings.
I may be wrong, but shouldn't the underwing ECM pods be white or light gray?

pcoughran

Enlisted
Jul 30, 2011
Stunning work, man. I'm doing the exact same thing with my own A-10, except I'm working out how to cover up the undersides of the wings.
I love how you brought out the panel details with a wash, and the dummy canopy markings.
I may be wrong, but shouldn't the underwing ECM pods be white or light gray?

Yes, they should be Light Ghost Grey - good catch. I wasn't paying the closest attention to detail, just trying to make it look realistic. My son wanted it to look "real" like his other 1/18 models so I did my best at a repaint - it was my first.
I did a PTE F22 a few months after, it turned out OK but I like the A-10 better.
Got a JSI F-14 SpotCat when they first came out almost 2 years ago and repainted it almost immediately (couldn't live with the spots).

These were all Christmas gifts for my son, but they are almost as much mine as his - I like having them too as a former kit builder as a kid - these are so much more impressive.

danielgogeta

Enlisted
Mar 26, 2011
handsome repaint bro! good job! I didnt see this in stores in PI, any leads were a PTE A10 can be found? :)

Wild weasel

needs killer whale parts!
Jun 9, 2011
Looks great! If these show up this year I'm gonna try and do 2 up like this. What brand decals did you use? Also, how'd you go about doing the faux canopy, did you just make a 2nd canopy mask and use that on the bottom or what?

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
it looks like on the canopy from PTE, that there is an exsisting mold for the frame...maybe he just painted that?

thecorporation

Task Force 27
Jun 9, 2011
Redacted
dude, this looks amazing! The A 10 has always been one of my favorites. I'd never have guessed this was the PTE A 10 if you hadn't said it.

pcoughran

Enlisted
Jul 30, 2011
Looks great! If these show up this year I'm gonna try and do 2 up like this. What brand decals did you use? Also, how'd you go about doing the faux canopy, did you just make a 2nd canopy mask and use that on the bottom or what?

If I remember correctly I just used 1/32 or 1/48 A-10 decals from Two Bobs and scaled them up to ~1/22 or 1/20 (I basically just eyeballed it).
I then used the paint guide to make a stencil for the fake canopy on the bottom

Hope this helps.
Phil

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Ahh, this is a treat. My favorite jet. Man I hope PTE releases this again.

Great work, thanks for sharing.

Wild weasel

needs killer whale parts!
Jun 9, 2011
If I remember correctly I just used 1/32 or 1/48 A-10 decals from Two Bobs and scaled them up to ~1/22 or 1/20 (I basically just eyeballed it).
I then used the paint guide to make a stencil for the fake canopy on the bottom

Hope this helps.
Phil

Thanks Phil!

PathFinder

Enlisted
Aug 12, 2011
Beautiful work there... Love the detailed panel lines and decals... I hope to grab one of these eventually. Too bad they don't make it to all of the Big Lot stores. Would be nice to get one online at a reasonable price.

bar

Enlisted
Jun 10, 2011
Glenrothes, Scotland
Incredible.
Great work with this.
As is said by others, it really looks more like a scale model than the World Peacekeepers version now.
Apparently BBTS is getting these in for you guys in the States.
We can buy them in stores here in the UK easily enough. I picked up an A-10 and three J-10s today from the place i deal with locally.

Wry1

Enlisted
Jun 7, 2011
Well done with the paints man, there's just something about the A-10 that exudes badassery at it's fullest.