PTE Blackhawk WIP

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
Any reference pics for the ejection chute? Looks a bit oversized...but I don't know too much about his stuff.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Marauder. They came with the miniguns, but they're also available separately.

Hmmm.

Any reference pics for the ejection chute? Looks a bit oversized...but I don't know too much about his stuff.

Last edited:

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
Looks pretty good then I guess. For the grips, might I suggest the ones from this?

Fled74

Opinionated Arsehole
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
HobbyStop.webs.com
May I ask what line that cannon is from? It's got potential, but I'll need 4 sets of grips since I'm gonna redo the miniguns on my BBI UH-60 too.

I know the ammo belt and ejection chute are inaccurate, but I'm just using what I have on hand. I'm more concerned about things looking "right" than being accurate, if you know what I mean. :)

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Clone Trooper cannon. I really wish someone would daisy chain some War Machine feed chutes and then cast them.

AJWW2

Enlisted
Sep 8, 2011
NY
It's a Star Wars gun. From this figure.

http://www.rebelscum.com/sagaredclone.asp

I have one of those if your interested, I know you need four but I only have one. I'd be willing to let the gun go for probably $3.

And...I'm on the east coast of the States and you're...in Melbourne.

I don't know if you want to pay kinda high shipping costs just for one gun.

But I'm still there if you absolutely need it.

AJ

Last edited:

Fled74

Opinionated Arsehole
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
HobbyStop.webs.com
I have one of those if your interested, I know you need four but I only have one. I'd be willing to let the gun go for probably $3.

And...I'm on the east coast of the States and you're...in Melbourne.

I don't know if you want to pay kinda high shipping costs just for one gun.

But I'm still there if you absolutely need it.

AJ

Thanks for the offer dude, but I'll probably just make them from scratch. Let's see how creative I can be. :)

unclassified

THE AYATROLLA KHOMEINI
Jan 31, 2012
the garden state of eden
make the gun from styrene, my buddy freakingtiger on the tank is a styrene master and can make anything. check out his air boat thread inspired by me. he has great tips and how to's in there.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I think he's just making the spade grips.

I don't think I've ever seen a medevac bird custom, be it a Bbi, PTE or True Heroes UH-60. Guess it's not glamorous enough.

unclassified

THE AYATROLLA KHOMEINI
Jan 31, 2012
the garden state of eden
man, if i ever find another black hawk for 12 bucks, i think i'm going to attempt my first vehicle custom and make one. i'm not sure if i would make it olive drab or red. i would make it for life line, hasbro needs to make more dr.s.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
A medevac '60 would actually be a cool project. I think it'll be my next one (if I can actually get this MH-60 motherfucker finished first).

There would still be scratchbuilding involved for the interior, but the exterior would be just a straight repaint.

Walkaround photos:
http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/gino_quintiliani/uh-60a_med_walk.htm

I was looking at that walkaround yesterday. That's an old Alpha model medevac, the new HH-60Ms have some external differences, too.

Fled74

Opinionated Arsehole
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
HobbyStop.webs.com
Workin' on the fiddly bits.

Glazed the windows:

Simplified gun grips (to be refined once the glue sets):

How it's looking so far:

I make no apologies for the state of my workbench!

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Coming along nicely.

you should see the state of my "work area". Like a bomb hit it.

Fled74

Opinionated Arsehole
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
HobbyStop.webs.com
Did a bit more work on it last night.

While I had the fuselage apart, I decided to cut a square hole in the belly and mount a cargo hook.

Kinda like this, but less accurate. :)

I also tried my hand at making the nose radome. The only cylindrical stock I had (that was roughly the correct diameter) was a spare Nerf gun barrel.

This proved ideal because it was easy to cut and grind to shape.

I mixed up a ball of quick-set plumber's epoxy putty and filled the tube with it, smoothing it out with plenty of water. Five minutes later it was set, and 10 minutes later it was rock-hard. I shaped it further with a sanding drum on my dremel and wet-sanded it smooth.

Here's how it looks now.

I'm not sure yet how to do the smaller FLIR sensor underneath.

red4

Enlisted
Feb 25, 2012
Don't know if this would be useful to you:

For reference, the cylindrical part is about a half-inch long. It comes in many colors, including black. You can order it in any quantity here: http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Pick-A-Brick-ByTheme (too lazy to link the Aussie version)

To navigate it quickly, go to Category, and select Fences & Ladders. You'll see the piece in white, grey, and black. Those are the colors this service currently has available, but it exists in a shit ton more colors.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
drum on my dremel and wet-sanded it smooth.

Here's how it looks now.

I'm not sure yet how to do the smaller FLIR sensor underneath.

Glad you posted this. I've been racking my brains on doing the fore and aft ends of gun pods for my Huey. This should work.

As for the the FLIR, do the same thing esssentially as the weather radar snoopy nose, except use a marble and use a bit of putty to kind of build the case up around it.

With a screw and some washers you could even get it to rotate.

red4

Enlisted
Feb 25, 2012
Believe me, what little you see in the pic is only the tip of the iceberg. :)

That's cute. My work area is so cluttered I can't do shit there anymore. My computer desk has become Work Area Part II, and it's overflowed more often than not.

Fled74

Opinionated Arsehole
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
HobbyStop.webs.com
Silly me, I forgot to take pics of the FLIR WIP until it was too late.

Anyway, I found a plastic hemisphere in my parts box (the red bit - I think it was from a Kinder Egg toy). I filled it up with more of the quick-set epoxy putty and left it to dry.

I shaped it with the sanding drum and hollowed the end out with a tapered grinding stone. I had to do it outdoors because of all the fine dust created by the grinding.
I refined the curve with 400-grit sandpaper wrapped around a dowel.

Test-fitting with blu-tack. Nearly ready.

The lovely mechanic is the reason I haven't done much to the Blackhawk. :)

Fled74

Opinionated Arsehole
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
HobbyStop.webs.com
While I had the epoxy putty out, I filled the screw holes.

I didn't feel like sculpting the details on the FLIR, so I wrapped it in 3 layers of masking tape, drew the pattern and cut off the excess with a sharp knife. I used strips of tape for the raised details. I sealed the edges with a drop of superglue spread around with a toothpick.

When the glue dried, I brushed on 3 coats of shellac to seal the tape. When it dried, I ended up with a nice hard paintable surface.

I masked off the clear "glass" and other openings, then sprayed over the unpainted bits.

Nearly there now. :)