Quid Pro Quo Joe

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
So they did the same thing for TF a year or so ago, but now they're putting the OG Joe cartoon soundtrack out on an LP record. No download, no CD, just LP. I need this in my life, extended cuts of all that awesome background music without the words or sound effects.

Problem is, I don't collect vinyl records, nor do I even own a functional record player. Some collector needs to obtain one of these and do some digital ripping!

At some point during the pandemic, Hasbro actually put the TF soundtrack on youtube in little chunks with a couple of random tracks each. I downloaded those and plan to break them up into their track components, but I don't want to count on them to do the same for Joe. Hasbro is nothing but inconsistent. So if anyone is a vinyl collector, maybe a few of us could chip in and get one of these in exchange for some digital rippage. Thoughts?

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Just from the title I expected something Creepy Sleepy Joe Biden related. This is certainly more... interesting. I guess for the vinylphiles that like classic GI Joe or cartoon music, it's a thing, but certainly not mainstream. That said, while repetitive at times, the '80's Joe cartoon had some very well done theme music. Save for other animation/TV of the time, I can't think of anything comparative in the modern era. So having it preserved/reintroduced is well deserved.

Not sure about the formatting though. Maybe it's for the collector who genuinely wants the complete '80's experience - listening to the Joe theme/score music on his record player while watching the show on his square, black & white TV set, munching on fruit roll ups while his TV dinner heats up in the regular oven? Dang... I got a nostalgia buzz just thinking about it... 🤔

• Haha
Reactions: pcsguy88 and NSA

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I know, but in writing the post, I originally made a quid pro quo joke about getting some digital in exchange for the vinyl, and then decided to title the post that way, because funny.

In regards to the record, I still have delusions about doing some kind of Joe-themed stop motion adventure eventually, probably after the kids go to college and I have more space and free time. But I imagine these tracks would be invaluable assets in making things seem more nostalgic and authentic to the property.

I'm constantly on the lookout for anything dio related or video/audio things that could aid in said future endeavor. I very much have the "collect it all, and sort out what you need later" mentality.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
I own 4 records
Billy Joel songs in the attic
Flash Gordon movie album
GI Joe Secret of the Mummy’s Tomb
& the Star Wars soundtrack.

I however no longer have the record player as it was to large to keep.

If at some point I can procure a record player I would be happy to transfer the album

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I wouldn't mind just buying a record player, but a good ADC setup to extract quality audio off the record ain't cheap. I assume we have at least one audiophile with solid equipment around here somewhere...

Songs in the Attic is probably one of my top-5 favorite albums of all-time. Miami 2017, Say Goodbye to Hollywood, Summer Highland Falls, Streetlife Serenader, I've Loved these Days... practically every track is a masterpiece. It's one of the few albums where the live versions are 10x better than the studio tracks.

EDIT: VV, I just learned today that SitA wasn't recorded at a single concert but rather a compilation of eight different shows from 1980. Hot damn.

Last edited:

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
Most live shows are a combination of different shows. They pick the best versions so no one is out a million dollars if the singer screws up one line.

Friend of mine worked on the remix of some of Joel's albums that's how i learned why many of the albums are high pitched. (They were high on cocaine when making the originals apparently that affects hearing.)

Most of the vinals I have are my sister's hand me downs.

On a totally unrelated note: I now have a new reason to get the audio sound board I've been looking at. ;):drums:

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
It completely makes sense that it's not just a single show, but I guess I never pondered the origins. I've been listening to the album since I was twelve and in my head, it was just one awesome concert. If I thought about it logically, of course it's not. I've seen Billy live in concert on five different tours, and while they were all excellent, none were THAT flawless.

That being said, I still normally prefer studio albums and think they sound better, but that is a rare exception that is vastly superior.