Scale question

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I know this has been asked a million times before so can we get this "stickied" this time?

What would you say the real scale of ME Joes is? I ask because I know a guy who is designing 1:18th items but he's in Germany and doesn't collect or usually build stuff in this scale. I need to pass on the info to him so I don't pay $45 for a Shapeways item just to find it's actually 1/4th an inch (or worse) too short.

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA
General rule is 4" = 1/18. More and more modern figs are breaching the 4" mark, but they are still 1/18... just like we have people who are over 6'. It's also about proportions. A MU buck at 4.25" still has 4" proportions, where as a 5 or 6" fig will be overall larger to match height.

AdrienVeidt

Enlisted
Apr 11, 2015
What's the item? That's the most important question here, imho. 25As and MUs have pretty much the exact sane height proportions as RAHs and the difference is that they added .25" to the calves when they inserted the double-knee. They didn't take the length of the lower hinge out of the calf length. So unless it's an item related to leg length there should be no scale-mismatch issues amongst any of these figures.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
I'm not trying to start a debate....... but

3.75" & 4" both tend to be grouped as 1:18th. Especially when you are talking about non hasbro products.

That 1/4 inch makes a big difference for vehicles, dios, playsets etc. so what the item is & who will be going in that item are big questions. There use to be a hisstank thread about which ARAH products fit ME Joes. (Many didn't)

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
The item in question is a sentry gun from Aliens.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, looks like it's one of those issues that can go either way.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011

daremo

Officer III
Sep 12, 2011
Do you have the specifications of the life size sentry gun? Convert those measurements to cm and divide by 18. If it matches up pretty close with the shapeways model, you're fine. Like Obi said, 4" figures are 1:18 scale, but that shouldn't affect whether or not the sentry gun is.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I didn't find much on specific dimensions, other than it was 45" tall and built over an MG 42. A support weapon that size won't be much affected of the vagaries of scale and proportions the same way an assault rifle or pistol would.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I couldn't tell you the dimensions of the real sentry gun...I don't think anyone knows unless you base it off the MG42 dimensions.

But, I just heard back from the guy who modeled this and he swears it should be right in line with a 4" figure, so I went ahead and ordered one.

And my wallet cried.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Shapeways is full of shit I want to try. I commend your ability to take such a costly plunge. :D

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Well, if it weren't for my love of ALIENS, I wouldn't have spent the money.

And I'm thinking that since the modeler doesn't see a dime from Shapeways, I'll take the kit I get and send it to Vortious for molding/casting. Then we can ALL buy one without paying through the nose.

AdrienVeidt

Enlisted
Apr 11, 2015
Now, is that kit on a sprue like a model and the 2.02cm height is of it 3D printed all as one piece that then gets assembled into its proper form? 2.02cm is 1/5th of an 18th RAH figure's standard 10cm height so that's below the knees. But I recall the guns in the movie being about waist-high to a xeno which should put it about 5-6cm tall at 18th scale.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Yes, it's created all on a sprue, but as to what part of the dimensions he listed indicate height, I couldn't tell you.

The guns stand a bit taller than waist high on a human so I think you are right that they would be waist high on a xeno.