SDCC 2012 Marvel Super Helicarrier Review

XOC2008

Caution: Troll Ahead!
Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
The Super Helicarrier. People talked about it for weeks... months before SDCC. How big will it really be if the retail version is 3 feet? I will say off the bat, this thing is HUGE. I barely have space for it to just sit, let alone room for a more proper review.. however, let's get started:

Shipping box, which is pretty cool in and of itself. Shame that it got damaged in transit, because I'd have liked to have saved it. Especially since I spent over $168 with tax and shipping.. though I'm sure it's far less expensive than if I'd have gone to SDCC, bought it there, and lugged it all over the place.

Interior box. Nice that it's a window box and shows what's inside, but again, this thing's so massive I had to stand back about 5 feet to get it all in frame.

On my desk. Cap, Maria, and all the missiles are still in the plastic, don't feel like digging them out just yet, though if anyone wants pic of either figure I'll be happy to snap a few. I'll note that the center section of this beast is removable, the front and aft can then snap together as the regular retail helicarrier.

Center and Aft section. The turbines spin pretty freely. The crane is a solid piece and only turns on its axis, doesn't raise or lower. The Avengers logo helipad thing is a stupid action gimmick that can send figures flying. Obviously, seeing Cap and Maria there near the cockpit island.. thing, it shows just how undersized this piece is, though it's still an impressive size.

Center and Forward section. With the Quinjet, you can again see how undersized this toy is.

Actual dimensions are 3'10"L x 17"W x 10"H. Not four feet, not over four feet, but impressive nonetheless. Especially considering Hasbro is determined not to give us large vehicles a la Flagg.

Pros: It's a nice display piece, and even though I didn't get to attend SDCC, it's nice to have something from there. Plus you get a figure that's not offered at retail. It's also a nice toy...

Cons: But that's certainly part of the problem. It is most certainly a toy, and though I'll never play with it, it'll go on a shelf and stay there, it's woefully undersized compared to scale vehicles and even the figures. It's also hollow underneath, so not all that impressive to hang from your ceiling.

I will say that I do not regret the purchase, and am somewhat impressed that it arrived as fast as it did. I ordered it from HTS Saturday, it arrived today. No complaints there. If I was going to score this piece, I'd give it a 7 out of 10, but that's simply my own opinion.

The Ewokhunter

Crazyass Cracker
Mar 14, 2011
thingsatwistedewokwouldsay.blogspot.com
The sad thing is, the price you paid for this is more than what the Flagg cost back in the day and was a MUCH better play toy and display piece. Even if they were to double the cost and re-release the Flagg today, it would be a hot seller if it were a Con piece.

But alas, they stuck with this undersized thing.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Would be GREAT with 1:144 aricraft/vehicles. Not so much with 1:18 figures.

XOC2008

Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
The sad thing is, the price you paid for this is more than what the Flagg cost back in the day and was a MUCH better play toy and display piece. Even if they were to double the cost and re-release the Flagg today, it would be a hot seller if it were a Con piece.

But alas, they stuck with this undersized thing.

I don't disagree with you overall. The price back in the day is probably fairly equal to what I paid for this, though. Unfortunately, the Flagg is most definitely a superior piece compared to the helicarrier. I would MUCH rather have the Flagg.

You can buy some of the Marvel Heroclix figures for it. Then it might be in scale!

They might be, but I don't have any to find out. If someone wants to send me money to buy one to find out for certain... ;)

Would be GREAT with 1:144 aricraft/vehicles. Not so much with 1:18 figures.

I was actually considering doing just that, so that it wouldn't look so out of place with 1:18th stuff.

Charade

Enlisted
Apr 12, 2011
Maybe it's time to start collecting Superhero Squad figures...

Nice review, X. I was really tempted to try to pick one up, but as you're pointing out, I was afraid it would just go right into storage.

Sucks that it's hollow underneath.

XOC2008

Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
Helicarrier with the start of its complement of aircraft. Yes, it's a Micro Ops Halo Falcon. Yes, I gutted the troop bay and implanted 1/144 scale seats, gutted the cockpit and also added 1/144 scale seats, and finally replaced the rotors with the blades from two 1/144 UH-60 models.

Anyway, that's what it looks like with something almost 1/144 scale. And apparently, it's introducing the UH-144 Falcon Heavy Lift Helicopter. Now, when's more 1/18th scale stuff coming out?

Bravestarr

Molon Labe!
Founder
Mar 15, 2011
Target and Wal Mart sell die cast aircraft near their Hot Wheels type of stuff. The birds are usually 4 or 5 bucks each. Makes sense to stock this carrier with such, as the 1:18 stuff just looks odd therein. Thanks for the review though.

XOC2008

Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
Yup, 1:18 won't work. That's why I'm gonna stock it with 1/144th stuff.

Target and Wal Mart sell die cast aircraft near their Hot Wheels type of stuff. The birds are usually 4 or 5 bucks each. Makes sense to stock this carrier with such, as the 1:18 stuff just looks odd therein. Thanks for the review though.

danielgogeta

Enlisted
Mar 26, 2011
I would want to get one...rather than the regular Helicarrier.

however local prices here makes it around 230 usd..makes you think twice.

I like the design yet the scale is good for heroclix..

Thanks for the awesome photos and reviews !

thelegoguy

Enlisted
Mar 16, 2011
Would love to see how this thing would look with some Micro Ops Falcons on the deck. That could be neat

thelegoguy

Enlisted
Mar 16, 2011
Thanks XOC, that looks badass with the Falcons. Guess I can't look around for myself, must be the meds.

Now I want one and paint that bitch OD green.