Sdkfz 222 and Indy sidecar moulds shot

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
I am not sure if anybody cares but the Sdkfz 222 and Indy sidecar moulds are shot.

I will probably remake the 222 moulds next month and the sidecar moulds may be done next week.

I know there has been a lot more interest in the sidecar moulds and I have about 8 kits on back order. I know you guys care.

Just bare with me guys.

Oh the original HUMVEE turret moulds have been remade and I have already made a few copies to cover those back orders.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Color me curious, is it just the sidecar or is it the full-ride to convert the bike to closer-to-correct BMW?

SR_501

Walfisch.
Mar 14, 2011
I dare to ask how much the 222 kit go for? I to would like to know the answer K-T asked also.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
i know yer busy with real life nowadays...but uh, any clue when some new humvee stuff will be ready?...or even the new Pave add-ons?

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
That Hasbro motorcycle is far from stock, does the kit come with the mods or is it just the sidecar?

Ohh..

Yes some what . Better wheels and back passenger seat and of course the side car.

In the pic I thinned out the front fork and cut out some of the plastic around the rear frame and fender area.

I also slotted the head lamp for the black out look.

That will have to be done by the modeler.

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
Do you have the molds for both versions of the HMMWV kit, the turret and the front shield do-hickey? And how much is shipping to CA for those anyhoo?

I might actually finally buy some.

The set sells for $35 less weapon. UNPAINTED shipping $6 ?

Wild weasel

needs killer whale parts!
Jun 9, 2011
3 things:

1: That 222 is awesome! At the price I sadly can't get one, maybe in january or something. A few Q's about it; does it have anything for an interior? Any decals(if not what would you suggest, anything out there, or would I have to go to somebody like cartograf?). Would it be possible to have the lights molded in clear(and are the lenses seperate from the housing).

2: The 229, hows that coming along. Chances are that I'll get one of them, too cool of a subject to pass on. What are the basic dimensions? How will the landing gears work(if they work), would they be durable enough to support it while still looking the part? When; if you had to guess; would it be done(again, just an idea of when, don't need an exact date or anything like that, I understand how operations like yours work and not everything goes as planned)

3: Will the hummwv turrets fit the PTE humvees(I think your pic is the pte but I don't know the humvees out in 1/18 enough to tell). Do you do anything like an up-armored humvee kit?

Thanks man! Keep up the uber work!

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
3 things:

1: That 222 is awesome! At the price I sadly can't get one, maybe in january or something. A few Q's about it; does it have anything for an interior? Any decals(if not what would you suggest, anything out there, or would I have to go to somebody like cartograf?). Would it be possible to have the lights molded in clear(and are the lenses seperate from the housing).

2: The 229, hows that coming along. Chances are that I'll get one of them, too cool of a subject to pass on. What are the basic dimensions? How will the landing gears work(if they work), would they be durable enough to support it while still looking the part? When; if you had to guess; would it be done(again, just an idea of when, don't need an exact date or anything like that, I understand how operations like yours work and not everything goes as planned)

3: Will the hummwv turrets fit the PTE humvees(I think your pic is the pte but I don't know the humvees out in 1/18 enough to tell). Do you do anything like an up-armored humvee kit?

Thanks man! Keep up the uber work!

1. The 222 kit does not come with decals. It has no interior but the gun platform takes almost all of the room in the turret as does the original. So you can not see anything in there.

The head lamps are solid resin but you can hallow them out and use a plastic lens.

The 2229 has taken a back seat to my real job. I will get a chance to work on it next week. My hope is to have it ready for Christmas.

here is the build
http://www.warbird-photos.com/gpxd/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24183

The landing gear is a little complex. The gear will pose static open or closed.It will not operate. It will be the plug in style.

3. I have full intentions to make the up armored kit after the 229.

Last edited:

Wild weasel

Jun 9, 2011
1. The 222 kit does not come with decals. It has no interior but the gun platform takes almost all of the room in the turret as does the original. So you can not see anything in there.

The head lamps are solid resin but you can hallow them out and use a plastic lens.

The 2229 has taken a back seat to my real job. I will get a chance to work on it next week. My hope is to have it ready for Christmas.

here is the build
http://www.warbird-photos.com/gpxd/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24183

The landing gear is a little complex. The gear will pose static open or closed.It will not operate. It will be the plug in style.

3. I have full intentions to make the up armored kit after the 229.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

YT1

NO LONGER A MEMBER
Mar 15, 2011
Why must you taunt me with that 222? I want one so bad, but it always seems to get forgotten, someday I will have one!
Just out of curiosity, how many pulls do you get out of your molds before they are done? It seems like you go through a lot of molds. Do you shred up the old molds as filler for you new ones? I know guys that do that and save a lot of material.

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
Why must you taunt me with that 222? I want one so bad, but it always seems to get forgotten, someday I will have one!
Just out of curiosity, how many pulls do you get out of your molds before they are done? It seems like you go through a lot of molds. Do you shred up the old molds as filler for you new ones? I know guys that do that and save a lot of material.

It depends on the complexity of the piece. Every time I make a pour a little piece tears off ( tiny )

Some moulds I have gotten about 40 pours before the mould breaks down. sometimes only 10 :eek:

20-25 pours is the average .

Most of the time when a real big chunk tears out that is the end.

I have on occasion have the whole detail face tear out and stick to the part.

Yes I do recycle moving on to bigger and larger moulds everything helps to try and keep the price down.

The RTV I use is the quick set type. It takes 2 hrs to set so ideally in 4 hours I can be pouring. That is fast.
Next is the 6 hr set RTV.the rubber is a little stronger but it takes over 12 hrs before I start pouring.So in reality that means 2 days. Possibly 50 pours.

Then there is the 24 hr set RTV supposedly you can get 100 pours out of that stuff. So now you are over 2 days before you can use those moulds. Some of the moulds that I make are 3 part moulds. That mould will take 3 DAYS before I start pouring.

So I use the quick set . 4 hrs to pour time is not bad but I know that the moulds will have a short life.

AJWW2

Enlisted
Sep 8, 2011
NY
Hello,

I am new to the site and I just want to say that this, and your other stuff, is simply amazing. I absolutely love this kind of thing and I really want to do some myself, but I have almost no idea what to do. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on what tools, techniques, paint, how to cast resin, materials, etc. to use. I am just 12 years old so I am definitely an beginner. I have been collecting 21st century ultimate soldier xd for about 4 years and I totally love them. I would also like your thoughts (not just Pickelhaube, everyone) on what I should start with: diorama, figure custom, vehicle custom, etc. (1:18 only) I am mainly a fan of WW2 so nothing modern. My goal is to be able to do stuff like RED, Pickelhaube, The Woofer (The Hun), and others. ANY advice is accepted.

Thank you for your time,

AJ

Last edited:

Wild weasel

Jun 9, 2011
Hello,

I am new to the site and I just want to say that this, and your other stuff, is simply amazing. I absolutely love this kind of thing and I really want to do some myself, but I have almost no idea what to do. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on what tools, techniques, paint, how to cast resin, materials, etc. to use. I am just 12 years old so I am definitely an beginner. I have been collecting 21st century ultimate soldier xd for about 4 years and I totally love them. I would also like your thoughts (not just Pickelhaube, everyone) on what I should start with: diorama, figure custom, vehicle custom, etc. (1:18 only) I am mainly a fan of WW2 so nothing modern. My goal is to be able to do stuff like RED, Pickelhaube, The Woofer (The Hun), and others. ANY advice is accepted.

Thank you for your time,

AJ

AJ, I would suggest you buy a few simple plastic models to get the techniques and get to the point that you are happy with your work. With resin all of te pieces are attached to blocks and it is important to be able to clean the blocks off leaving only the part. Don't start from the top, work your way up. I may do a video tutorial for working with resin in the near future;)