Sizing Your Banner Help

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com

This will show you how to size the banner pic without distorting it using windows built in MS Paint (win7).

1 - open picture in MS paint. Hit select in toolbar and than select all. Move mouse over the picture and right click. select resize photo. hit the pixel button and change Horizontal to 920. The height will automatically adjust correctly. The width is now perfect, height is not yet. The frame did not move, we need to move it now. Move the horizontal frame, not the picture, to the edge of the picture. Down at the bottom (circled in pic) will show you the exact pixel count. Move it till its at 922.

2- You can adjust what part of the pic you want by hitting select all again and moving the picture up or down. Frame wont move, just the picture. Now you can use the lower frame and raise up until it hits 322. This one sometimes takes a few tries to get the picture exactly where you want. Edit-undo is your friend here.

3 - make sure the pixel count down at bottom is at 920x322.

That's it, pretty simple. no distortion.

Now if you do not want the entire width of you picture, do this.

1- Hit select all in toolbar, move picture and eyeball what you want seen in between the 920x322 ruler marks (circles above and on side in reference pic), keep it a little bigger.

2- move the horizontal and verticle frame till it hits 920x322 (circled at bottom in reference pic)

and done

Apple Users - http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20034984-263.html I do not have an apple so couldn't test this. looks like the same methods above can be done with the apple software in its built in preview viewer.

Last edited:

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
Thanks bro. If anyone wants to write something up using another program feel free. I use Photoshop elements but do it the same way with that program. Figure not everyone will have photoshop. If they have windows, they have MS Paint.

HeelJoe

Is singin' in Acid Rain
Jan 23, 2013
Midlands - UK
Med, I know I'm slightly retarded and I apologise to all those who do this cropping/resizing with ease. I followed this exactly yet when I upload the pic it says it 800x280... this is doing my feckin head in!

The Willoughbian

Proletariat Art Threat
Jun 24, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Med, I know I'm slightly retarded and I apologise to all those who do this cropping/resizing with ease. I followed this exactly yet when I upload the pic it says it 800x280... this is doing my feckin head in!

You will need to host the image from photobucket or another 3rd party image hosting site. Any image uploaded to this site is resized to fit allowed size restraints.

XOC2008

Caution: Troll Ahead!
Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
You will need to host the image from photobucket or another 3rd party image hosting site. Any image uploaded to this site is resized to fit allowed size restraints.

His pic is/was hosted on photobucket. PB tends to resize things of its own volition sometimes. This site automatically resizes to fit, but it doesn't actually change the pic's properties, only the space it occupies when viewed on a page. That's why there's a 'click to view fullsize' option.

The Willoughbian

Proletariat Art Threat
Jun 24, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
His pic is/was hosted on photobucket. PB tends to resize things of its own volition sometimes. This site automatically resizes to fit, but it doesn't actually change the pic's properties, only the space it occupies when viewed on a page. That's why there's a 'click to view fullsize' option.

I though he had it in a gallery here, which will resize an image. Sorry for the mistake.

XOC2008

Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
I though he had it in a gallery here, which will resize an image. Sorry for the mistake.

Well, being hosted here doesn't change the physical size of the image. The forum just changes the size to fit the forum border restraints, but doesn't actually alter the image. If his image was the correct size, it's likely that Photobucket is the culprit. I knew a way to keep PB from doing that, but they've since changed enough of their format that I've got no idea how to fix it.

The Willoughbian

Proletariat Art Threat
Jun 24, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Well, being hosted here doesn't change the physical size of the image. The forum just changes the size to fit the forum border restraints, but doesn't actually alter the image. If his image was the correct size, it's likely that Photobucket is the culprit. I knew a way to keep PB from doing that, but they've since changed enough of their format that I've got no idea how to fix it.

All of the images I uploaded to the "albums" in my profile were resized to be no wider than 600 pixles. The "upload pictures" page even tells you that your images will be resized to 600 x 800. I'm not talking about attachments.

XOC2008

Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
All of the images I uploaded to the "albums" in my profile were resized to be no wider than 600 pixles. The "upload pictures" page even tells you that your images will be resized to 600 x 800. I'm not talking about attachments.

Hah, you know, I think this is because I misunderstood, figuring the media library(front page), and the albums worked the same. I know if I upload a pic for the front page, it stays the size it's uploaded as. Guess the user albums are different.

Still, pretty sure there's a way around PB resizing images.. there's also places like servimg.com or whatever.. and flickr, and who the hell knows what else. One of them has to work properly! lol