Slayer Con 2011 Report

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
SlayerCon 2011

The con was held this weekend, August 27-28, in Edgewood, MD.

Met several customizers from both here and other boards, including (by forum names): SlayerDave, Obi-Shinobi, Daremo, Jedi Master Ben, DarkWynter, Bamphalas, Meddatron, Jimsloth, KeepItCleanCustoms, Ronin and others I'm no doubt forgetting. Putting names to some faces was very useful. Also in attendance was Hurricane Irene, whose presence caused several other attendees to no-show. :p

Day one:

Mostly consisted of several demostrations/classes, including how to make molds and cast parts (both using the "Slayer method" and that of another attendee), painting eyes, using Reduce-It to scale down stuff (like heads from larger scale figures), and lots of just hanging out and shooting the breeze. Videos will be forthcoming at some point.

SlayerDave presented (along with four of his artists and one of his sculptors) their plans for the storyline of the "15" - artwork for which has been showing up on Facebook, and a few sculpts for which have been appearing in the store. There was a lot more artwork on display, and Dave talked a little bit about the universe, some backstory, and their plans to develop it. It's an ambitious project, for certain, with plans for not just custom figures but comics, a roleplaying game and other media.

The new Slayer-designed "Modern O-ring" figure was also introduced, with a prototype (of one of the characters from the "15" universe) on hand for viewing. I think customizers will love these - they're re-introducing the O-ring and back screw, but with (most of) the articulation that we've come to expect out of modern figures. The loss of the mid torso joint is made up for by the ease in disassembly. They're also designed to be somewhat modular, making switching out heads, hands, feet, arms and legs as easy or easier than on modern figures.

Lunch and dinner were catered by Dave's pizza place - highly recommended if you're ever north of Baltimore. Sadly I forget the name so you're going to have to ask him. :D

I got a brief tutorial from DarkWynter - not filmed, sadly - on making dios (both small dios and large dios).

Slayer was selling parts (many of which haven't been in the store in a while). Deals were had for those in attendance that others will likely envy. A few guys (jimsloth in particular) had brought stuff for trade or sale, as well, and I saw quite a few items changing hands.

Jedi Master Ben had a number of his prototypes there as well, so you could see the actual sculpted pieces.

Several people brought customs to show off - in particular, Obi-Shinobi and Daremo had two impressive displays of their stuff. Seeing their customs in person and getting the chance to handle them is nothing like seeing photos posted, let me tell you. Some fantastic stuff all around.

Day two:

Thanks to loss of power in the area of the show, day two was mostly near the doors. A demonstration on dio-making was made to the rest of the group, which I missed as I showed up late. A few door prizes were awarded (a bunch of sweet-looking dio pieces) - sadly, I won nothing. :)

Day two was all about customizing. Everyone present worked on a themed custom - in this case, space figures. The guys from Slayer had made up a number of kits from which people could draw parts and make their own space themed figures, and everyone was busily painting when I arrived.

The sculpting in wax demo which was supposed to be given on day two was scrapped due to lack of power.

A few door prizes were awarded (a bunch of sweet-looking dio pieces) - sadly, I won nothing. :)

I also took a trip with SlayerDave and got to check out their studio, "where the magic happens". Those guys have thousands of parts, no lie.

Daremo and Obi-Shinobi did a little cosplay/costuming of ninja outfits (costumes? uniforms?) that was pretty cool. No con is complete without someone in costume.

Overall:

As (I believe) the only completely novice customizer present, I was very well taken care of by the whole crew. Obi-Shinobi and DarkWynter in particular were very good about answering my questions and generally checking up on me to make sure I was doing okay - thanks, guys.

It was a really great time - there was a great sense of camaraderie and sharing of knowledge through the whole event, and it was really great to have people there willing to answer questions and demonstrate techniques. I can't wait for the next one.

Thanks to all the guys from Slayer for putting it on!

Last edited:

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Thanks, for the report fogger! I'm glad you guys had a good time. I would've loved to have seen their shop and the casting process. Next year...

Charade

Enlisted
Apr 12, 2011
Nice report, Fogger. Conflicts prevented me from making it to this one, but I'm definitely planning on next year.

I must have missed it if you already mentioned it, but how many people were in attendance?

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Did you read the other thread? Vids were uploaded to SlayerDaves computer and JediMasterBen is editing and uploading
pssshhhhh newbs:D

Blood doesn't take reading or reporting" news" seriously.

Great write-up Fogger. Hopefully you didn't blind them with too much science, as they need their eyes for this.

I would like to see their setup and process, and meet the sculptors probably more than anything, but it's cool you also got to meet other customizers.

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
Great report bro! I would be curious as to who won the dio pieces if you know. I made two of them for the prizes. I as you know, did not make it to day 2.

I think it was Daremo, Obi-Shinobi and Ben, but I'm not sure on the last one. Those dio pieces you made were pretty cool, man - do you have any pics? I didn't take any. :(

Thanks, for the report fogger! I'm glad you guys had a good time. I would've loved to have seen their shop and the casting process. Next year...

We got a pretty good video of the casting process, I think. No pics of the shop, but I may be going up again in September and I'll try to remember to take some then.

I must have missed it if you already mentioned it, but how many people were in attendance?

I want to say maybe 15? Dave said he had about 45 tell him they'd be there at one point, but a lot of those ended up cancelling due to that bitch Irene.

Blood doesn't take reading or reporting" news" seriously.

My favorite comment so far. :)

SlayerDave

Enlisted
Jun 27, 2011
Great write up , was awesome for sure, to short and we had to deal with the storm, but all in all it was fun.

We are going to start planning the next one, Maybe in March, details to follow, hope all who came, comes again, and some new faces as well.

-Dave

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Great write up , was awesome for sure, to short and we had to deal with the storm, but all in all it was fun.

We are going to start planning the next one, Maybe in March, details to follow, hope all who came, comes again, and some new faces as well.

-Dave

I should be able to make it the next time as I'll have some vacation time. Looking forward to it!

SlayerDave

Enlisted
Jun 27, 2011
The guy doing the editing should have them up sometime later this week.

he just left to go home today.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Um, I know you're not really on top of news or anything MB, but that'd be a cool frontpage article, on the SlayerCon. What, did you have that in mind already? :D

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA
Med - I grabbed your mini-dio with the small fence section. I will put it to good use, and get pix asap. Excellent stuff, my friend.

Great time, indeed. I really wish we could have had a full week for this. With power too!

Last edited:

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
awesome brother. Glad you like it and will put to use. I cannot emphasize just how much awesomeness your customs were in person. I loved that girl not being able to get over the eye poping out of the Cobra Officer Zombie. That was definately one of my favorites you had on display. That and the Cloth goods Stormshadow.

SlayerDave

Enlisted
Jun 27, 2011
This was a great weekend, even with the storm issues, guys start looking forward to talk of the next one. Planning is going to start soon, hopefully this time no storms.