SOCOM looking for new vehicle.

rds13601

A Waste of Space!!!!
Aug 2, 2011
Biggest dump on earth
Since the Osprey is replacing the CH 53 and carries less; and the Army 160th SOAR uses the Chinook. SOCOM is searching for a smaller, lighter vehicle that can handle special ops missions. Since the Humvee is being phased out the contenders are the old resilient Jeep and a vehicle known as The Flyer. Both manufacturers are fighting for the contract. Here is the link and what the vehicles will look like: http://kitup.military.com/category/armored-vehicles

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
That JAMMA is pretty cool looking. The Flyer really just looks like a wider FAV/DPV.

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Nice article rds.

I'm a fan of the Landy( I own a beefed up 95 Disco), but it would be cool to see Jeep back in the mix since they were the OG basically.

Going back to a lighter more nimble vehicle for these SF guys kind of makes sense. I can see Hummers and the larger replacement for convoys, urban areas and troops in harms way of ied's, but these guys need to be quick like a cheeta.

I would like to see either toys offered or make customs of each. Wonder what a base for a Flyer could be?

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Navy SEAL Chris Kyle gives a great description of his experience in one as the rear 60 gunner and why we don't see much of them anymore.

I'm in the middle of a custom DPV using the PTE version. Just looking for a spare tire match. PTE Humvees match but all my Big Lots are bare. In my JOE verse they still usem.

Maybe they still do. Would make me feel better.