Tofujesse Castings: Announcements & Discussion

Tofujesse

Enlisted
Mar 15, 2012
CA
Just got my first order in from Jesse (my "second" one already arrived weeks ago, but it was a smaller order). I just posted feedback in his thread, so check that out if you are curious. Parts were great, everything was in the order except for one small item. I'll be placing another order soon, mostly for more of the same items that I've already gotten, plus some of his zombie head casts.

One word of caution to any really anal-retentive customizers: I have noticed that of all his sculpts, the main ones that are the LEAST factory are the weapons... They're a slightly off-black, and perhaps lose a little detail, so don't be expecting 100% factory. They're damn close, though. If you're painting them, then this shouldn't matter.

That's not a bad mark, I'd say they were like 98% factory, after removing some minor flashing, but just a warning to some folks who MAY get pissed that they're not fresh out of a Hasbro bubble. ;)

Thanks for the feedback Matt....I shall correct the color.

Tofujesse

Enlisted
Mar 15, 2012
CA
Here is that Manta raider I cast for Power Con that took up so much of my time a few weeks ago. All I did was the casting.

Attachments

• manta.jpg
    manta.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 26

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Damn, I didn't know deflashing was so difficult. ;)

It's not. Using an X-Acto to clean off flashing shouldn't be a difficult task.

I'm not talking filling and sanding bubbles, that irritates even me, and I'm fully capable of it. I've gotten casts before (not from TJ) that had a chunk of the jaw missing, or the nose (like the Sphinx) and that's not cool to have to resculpt items like that. Not everyone has the material, either.

Look, every customizer should have a basic toolkit that aligns with everyone else. At the very least a brush, paint, glue, and an X-Acto, and some custom/fodder to work with. Each person will have varying degrees of success at this, plus a bunch of other random tools and tricks, but flashing shouldn't be a deal-breaker.

Yeah, it's nice to have a head that pops on like it was straight from the factory, but I've even had to reset Hasbro necks (with the hot glue method) and cut off flashing there, too. Hell, if you ask me, painting is the most tedious task aside from sculpting. The rest is easy.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Thanks for the feedback Matt....I shall correct the color.

Keep in mind, that was a VERY nitpicky comment. Take it with a grain of salt. I'm just responding for those people who I've seen over the years who don't get that they won't be getting 100% factory pieces. They'll likely require some paint, maybe some trimming here and there. (Generally speaking.)

Now, if you're intent on matching factory quality, then by all means, go ahead. I just didn't mean anything bad by the comment. :)

Tofujesse

Enlisted
Mar 15, 2012
CA
Ok Matt just so were clear, my stuff was good? I've been getting a few PMs on FB from some nervous guys that have stuff going to them thinking my stuff is all flashy and junk.

Tofujesse

Enlisted
Mar 15, 2012
CA
Keep in mind, that was a VERY nitpicky comment. Take it with a grain of salt. I'm just responding for those people who I've seen over the years who don't get that they won't be getting 100% factory pieces. They'll likely require some paint, maybe some trimming here and there. (Generally speaking.)

Now, if you're intent on matching factory quality, then by all means, go ahead. I just didn't mean anything bad by the comment. :)

Nah man it's all good....I like the input to make
Stuff better

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Ok Matt just so were clear, my stuff was good? I've been getting a few PMs on FB from some nervous guys that have stuff going to them thinking my stuff is all flashy and junk.

I had some minor flashing. Nothing bad.

The heads were almost all clean, save for maybe the neck holes/bottom areas that may need a little knife work or dremeling (this should be mandatory work for half of all customs, if you ask me, regardless of fit straight out of the mold), and MAYBE a peg-port that is an easy cut-off.

Webgear, had very minor, and perhaps the least. Probably just in a pit or 2, and you can likely knock it off with a fingernail or something not sharp.

Weapons, my Megatron pistol had a LITTLE flashing, mainly in the tiny detail areas, but again, nothing that couldn't be flaked off with very little hassle. Pistols were damn near clean.

The warthog I got maybe has the most, but again, simple X-Acto cleanup.

Maybe the clear-cast items like the zombie blue-tubes had a little bit that the average person would gripe about, or stuff like goggles, that people could have an issue with?

My trick if people are nervous and want to be extra careful: use a pair of fingernail-clippers. It's better control, and works great around edges/curves where an X-Acto would create a flat edge.

Again, I'm not trying to be a dick to customizers or you. Simply put, your flashing isn't bad. They need to put a little work into cleanup if there's any issues.

Dark Horse

Ultimate Z-list celebrity
That's a great idea for using nail clippers. There was a bit of flash on my ZV tubes but that's it. It took about 20 seconds on each pipe to deflash. Certainly nothing to gripe about, especially considering the quality of the actual cast and the perfect material used.

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
Here's the Shock Trooper Zombie head painted up. Jesse I am loving these zombie headcasts!!!!!!

Tofujesse

Enlisted
Mar 15, 2012
CA
Here is that vest from the pilot Scarlett.

Attachments

• scarvest.jpg
    scarvest.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 18
  • scarvest1.jpg
    scarvest1.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 15

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Perhaps, I need one of these to happen:

to answer for sure.

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
Bah, that's lazy.

Agreed. Leave it as is.

Just got in my second order from Jesse, everything looks great. Can't wait to start using this stuff. :thumbsup:

yeah, I like fresh blood on a zombie here and there, but i prefer the dried out look. I figure they starve more than they feed.

Good luck Fogger. Hardest part for me was deciding where to start when i got my stuff in.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
yeah, I like fresh blood on a zombie here and there, but i prefer the dried out look. I figure they starve more than they feed.

Good luck Fogger. Hardest part for me was deciding where to start when i got my stuff in.

Plus, blood doesn't really stay bright red for long especially on a rotting corpse.

WVMojo

Mocha Viper
Jul 20, 2011
Jesse - wrt your request about a custom per week...why don't you get two or three guys lined up and rotate so each one is delivering a fig once every three weeks....ensures a job that isn't rushed and you won't burn out one guy trying to crank out a custom each week.

Tofujesse

Enlisted
Mar 15, 2012
CA
Jesse, any update on the Amazon SE coat?

Yeah it's just about done. With all the mess I had a couple weeks ago I had to put a hold on making new stuff and focus on fixing mistakes and focus on getting things to run smoothly so it doesn't happen again. Should be back making stuff this week. Well be seeing all that stuff from Willbill, slaymaker, and few other guys that have sent stuf in. Its gonna be a ton of stuff at once.