True Heroes Dragon Wagon Conversion

YT1

NO LONGER A MEMBER
Mar 15, 2011
Due to recent suggestions to do so, I am reposting this because it was lost when the old Board crashed, and I love to show it off.

I finally got around to starting on my True Heroes Dragon Wagon conversion. I am setting out to see how much of this I can do with found aka free stuff. The styrene sheet I am using is from hotel key cards and gift cards. The styrene bits and copper tube are leftovers from other projects. I have some cool chain left over from plumbing repairs and I plan on scratching new headlights out of some pen parts and syringe plungers for the lenses. I made the cover over the hatch in front of the turret out of a sheet magnet so I can remove it for figure placement. It will have a camo net strapped over it. Although under scale, I think this can look pretty cool with some detail work and a nice paint job.

YT1

NO LONGER A MEMBER
Mar 15, 2011
Some more work tonight:

Added lights on the cab back, handles and levers for the winch system, and the crane. Lenses will be added to the lights after painting.

Closeup of the levers and handles and what will become the gas cylinders.

Added headlights and brush guards. The driverside guard looks bad and will have to be re-worked.

Had to see how it was coming together.

YT1

NO LONGER A MEMBER
Mar 15, 2011
A little more work this past weekend:

Dremeled off the terrible molded on cable and hook and filled. I also worked up a cover to add actual shovel and ax to cover up the molded on versions. The cover is just sitting on, it will not be attached until after the painting. I also decided to use brass tubing for the muffler, I will drill out some vent holes.

Reworked the driver brushguard and added another light. Removed the hedge chopper thingie and filled. Added I-beams and worked on the headlight mounts.

Added some more detail on the boom and filled in the dinosaur claw marks on the door, yes I said dino claw marks. Also added some more control handles.

I am thinking about removing the molded on "jugs" on the bottom of the cab and adding a few detail plates and then I am ready for paint.

YT1

NO LONGER A MEMBER
Mar 15, 2011
I got most of the detail work done on the cab including removing the molded on fire extinguishers, adding side view mirrors and a dash. Also got the pre-shade/primer coat done. I am going to have to order the diamond plate for the trailer online, so I went ahead with the cab painting.

YT1

NO LONGER A MEMBER
Mar 15, 2011
I got the OD base coat on today. I debated on Tamiya or Model Master and ended up going with the Modelmaster. The brightness should get cut down with washes and weathering. I also got started on the trailer but that should go pretty fast.

YT1

NO LONGER A MEMBER
Mar 15, 2011
I got the detail work and the base coat done on the trailer. Next is glossy coat and decals followed by weathering.

YT1

NO LONGER A MEMBER
Mar 15, 2011
Quick and dirty low quality pic in the midst of the decal process.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
i loved this one!...just amazing what you did with that crap KID toy...you made it a work of art...

fantastic job on the weathering/wash/decals...looks VERY realistic...

where'd the little fire extinguisher come from?

YT1

NO LONGER A MEMBER
Mar 15, 2011
Thanks guys, you make me glad I took the time to repost it!

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Man, you really polished that turd into a masterpiece man. (Granted, it was a LOT of polishing!)

That turned out freaking awesome! What'd you use for the doors? Are those old gift cards or something? Haha. I've wondered about using those cards as styrene fodder...

thelegoguy

Enlisted
Mar 16, 2011
My gosh that is awesome. Your work definitely paid off. How you turned that thing into a work of art is a sign of true talent.

mutt71

Enlisted
Oct 14, 2017
I wish I could have seen the photos of this one. This is what happens when you are very late to the party!

mutt71

Enlisted
Oct 14, 2017
I have managed to buy two of these sets. Although I cannot see the work on this when it was done, I hope that I can do 1/2 as good a job as YT! did on his. I am happy for the information regarding what he did for work on his, will be of great assistance in my journey to making one myself.

hardcorps

The Unwashed
Mar 27, 2014
near Harrisburg, Pa
LOL. same here. I have been working on one of these for a couple of years now, finally have to time to finish it up and would like to see how this one turned out. Mutt, lets see how yours is going.

mutt71

Enlisted
Oct 14, 2017
Not a whole lot to report on mine. I Dremeled off everything that was mentioned by YT1. I've been looking for detail parts and different things that I can add to detail this up. I will post when I can.