UH-808 Kestrel Gunship(Black Dragon Custom build)

bar

Enlisted
Jun 10, 2011
Glenrothes, Scotland
Hey guys. Here is a custom craft i recently built based on the Cobra Black Dragon VTOL.
This build is heavily revised and rescaled for use with Ma.K resin figures as you will see in the pics(1/20. Slightly out of the 1/18th usually seen here, lol, but i expect you guys will forgive me just this once).
New outrigger wings were added, tail was shortened(And the tail piece including the uprights were turned backwards), new engines on top were added for forward motion, the interior of the ship was removed and a hollow troop bay was built in it's place.
Steadicam arms were built on the rear end for the gunners, and new guns were fabricated using styrene sheet, stock and some alu pieces.
Still trying to come up with a cool colourscheme for it... Ideas welcomed.
Any questions, be sure and ask away.
Here are the pics.

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
gulp, wow incredible vision and imagination to visualize this!

bar

Enlisted
Jun 10, 2011
Glenrothes, Scotland
gulp, wow incredible vision and imagination to visualize this!

Thanks.
When i first got a glimpse of the Black Dragon, this was pretty much what i envisioned.
Then it was just a matter of trying to find someone to pick one up in the US for me.
The engines are beautiful. Worth the cost of the craft on their own.

malcadon

H8ter4life
Mar 14, 2011
Pimpvile
Well its good to see that I'm not the only Maschinen Krueger fan around here. Whenever I see someone kitbash with Star Wars and/or Ma.K parts, it feels so... poetic. LOL

Keep up the good work! :D

bar

Enlisted
Jun 10, 2011
Glenrothes, Scotland
Well its good to see that I'm not the only Maschinen Krueger fan around here. Whenever I see someone kitbash with Star Wars and/or Ma.K parts, it feels so... poetic. LOL

Not at all. I think most people who are into armour or mecha eventually gravitate towards Ma.K. It's quite a nice amalgam of WWII and contemporary military ideals with just a touch of scifi.

Keep up the good work! :D

Thanks my friend.
Glad you like it.

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa
Amazing work! Reminds me of a HALO MegaBlock set one of my boys has. I love the moving, pivoting guns on the sides! Wow! You have some skills!

bar

Enlisted
Jun 10, 2011
Glenrothes, Scotland
Amazing work! Reminds me of a HALO MegaBlock set one of my boys has. I love the moving, pivoting guns on the sides! Wow! You have some skills!

Thanks a lot. It was built using the Black Dragon, but based on the Halo Falcon from Halo Reach.

Bar- very jealous of your stash!!!

Thanks. It's all just trading fodder in case i need to use it to get something else.

bar

Enlisted
Jun 10, 2011
Glenrothes, Scotland
Wow, this is fantastic! I'm inspired.

Thanks a lot.
How to do it all is pretty much shown in the images.
The only thing i never thought to include before is that the canopy is from a custom vacform master i made as a replacement canopy for the sigma Six Firebat fighter.
Here's what i did(Clear for the canopy and the black part for the frame over the top):

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Stash or store!!?? WOW.

I've never seen these figures. Good Stuff

bar

Enlisted
Jun 10, 2011
Glenrothes, Scotland
Stash or store!!?? WOW.

I've never seen these figures. Good Stuff

Hahahaha.
Everyone i know who has seen my stash says the same thing...
That i should open a store.
It is all for sale. If anyone sees something they like, they just make an offer. I tend to use it all as trade fodder in any case. If someone wants something i have, i can usually find something they have, or can get that i would like in return.
The figures are from Brickworks in Japan:

http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljlist?...es&Sort=std&qid=1JK1OUH9M6JA&set=1&Maker2=BRK

bar

Enlisted
Jun 10, 2011
Glenrothes, Scotland
I picked up a bunch of 1/35th scale MAKS on sale a few years back from japan. like the museline and the safs in particular.

Ahhhh. A fellow Ma.K fan!
Those are very nice. The Mel is a particular fave of mine. As is the SAFS.
Good choices. Have you ever considered getting the 1/20 stuff? The early masters used Joe-scale heads, and the suits can work in 1/18.

bar

Enlisted
Jun 10, 2011
Glenrothes, Scotland
Awesome conversion. The scratchbuilt bits are especially impressive.
I was a bit distracted by the girl figures though. :D

Haha! That's what everyone says!
The girls make the Dio i think.

how did you make the cockpit?

It was a solid vacform master i made to replace the Sigma Six Firebat canopies.
If you check my earlier post up above with the "vanilla" coloured resin pieces, those were the solid canopy bucks. Heated plastic(Clear or black) was brought down on those with vacuum power. When they cool, they are removed.
It has turned out to be a versatile shape. With a bit ot structural strapping, i used them for Auxiliary fuel tanks on my NASA Orbital Arrowhead fighter:

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
serious skill! How did you do the lines on the NASA orbital Arrowhead Fighter.

bar

Enlisted
Jun 10, 2011
Glenrothes, Scotland
serious skill! How did you do the lines on the NASA orbital Arrowhead Fighter.

Thanks a lot.
Those were scribed into the plastic with a scriber from the Bare Metal Foil co.
I use a steel rule for straight flat lines, and a piece of .040 thou styrene for areas that have a curve to them. You can even make custom curved styrene guides for curves. Or a set of French curves.
Here's a link to where you can buy one(it's invaluable for a custom maker as it adds a lot of detail with not a lot of effort):
http://www.bare-metal.com/Introduction-To-Using-Bare-Metal-Foil.html