Unimax Bravo Recon Team

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
I am terrible with rating a figure, so I am just gonna give the basics.All figures came with a weapon and 2 accesories and a stand. I am sorry I took them out of the package and forgot which 2 accesories came with which figure. It is not listed on the card. The Helmets are removable too. My only gripe is the hands dont hold weapons well. I will end up changing hands. The arms pop off easilly at bicep but dont be alarmed, they pop right back on. Kinda makes adding some strapped packs easier. The stands are flimsy and weak, If they are not flat just put them by heat vent/radiator and they will flatten out.
Articulation
swivel head
Ball joint Shoulders
Swivel biceps
swivel wrists or forearms
pinned bending elbows
Waist - T-joint
Pinned bending Kness
Swivel feet

Pvt Lee Moody

PFC Dan Wilbright

CPL Jeffrey Jenkins

Group shot with accessories and size comparison to Joes

Cardback

Last edited:

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
The long sleeved guys have a horrible right hand for holding trigger handles. I seperate the fore finger so I can jam it through the hole for a tight fit.

Wow, eddieism thread for sure.

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
I was thinking of doing that Rick. Just wasnt sure how much it would really help. I think i am going to go back tomorrow and get the final 3 for the set. I do like the look of them all geared up.

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
Thanks for the review Medd. These guys are great for diorama's I think. Got a modern look and decent gear. Some of the articulation may be a bitch. May bite the bullet and get a few after the holiday.

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I was thinking of doing that Rick. Just wasnt sure how much it would really help. I think i am going to go back tomorrow and get the final 3 for the set. I do like the look of them all geared up.

If you're going for realism they are your only choice retail. It seems the cammo may be updated too. The recon guys have green mixed with the digital print where it was just brown on tan before. They are also using the tactical legs it seems with more of them now. Also the desert face paint is clean.

I'm working on a FAV team using them. They improve in appearence with a little weathering using tan drybrush for a dusty look. Scratch up those knee & elbow pads for a nice detail too.

As far as posing,...... Outside of ninga stances with open legs you can get these guys into very good shooting poses or anything else for that matter.

I don't feel that limited.

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa
After seeing a few guys here use these figures in Dios...I started grabbing a few as well. I have yet to see teh tactical ones...last time I was at Target there was only one figure left, but that was pretty much the entire action figure aisle...1 or 2 of each type and lots of empty pegs...

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
As far as posing,...... Outside of ninga stances with open legs you can get these guys into very good shooting poses or anything else for that matter.

"ninja poses"?

I can't think of any realistic shooting stance a t-crotch figure can take. Maybe a braced standing sharpshooter stance, but I highly doubt the arms will fold up enough for that.

Hope the Tactical Team starts showing up, and that if Unimax does another redeco that they'll do the new Army organic pattern.

Last edited:

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
If you're going for realism they are your only choice retail. It seems the cammo may be updated too. The recon guys have green mixed with the digital print where it was just brown on tan before. They are also using the tactical legs it seems with more of them now. Also the desert face paint is clean.

I'm working on a FAV team using them. They improve in appearence with a little weathering using tan drybrush for a dusty look. Scratch up those knee & elbow pads for a nice detail too.

Your use of these guys in dios/customs is what made me want to get them. I agree with what blood said. perfect background guys for dios. They will be my Joe Greenshirts. I think I am gonna be pretty hooked on this line now. Even with the T-Bar waist I still really like these guys. Especially since i realized late last night that the wrists do spin as well. thought they were static and didnt want to apply to much pressure to break them but then when putting a weapon in ones hand, one spun. I was like, heck yeah, more poses!!

edit - I got the final 3 from the Recon team. I will post pics of them soon too.

Last edited:

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
I'm waiting for the tactical guys to show up. I like the pouches they have better.

Nice job Medd.

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa
The other great thing about them is they are great $5 fodder packs! For $5 you get all sorts of pouches, a new headsculpt and weapons. If you were to order casts of these...it would cost you 3X that most times. :D (NOTE - I have nothing against the casters...I have ordered from most of them.)

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA
"Ninja" poses? You guys kill me.

In ideal situations, and in formal training, sure - you don't need legs that "spread". In the real world however, you just might not be shooting under "ideal" situations. That... and the last time I checked myself, I was able to take wider stances. Maybe it's just me that cares about this stuff. Probably.

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Don't get me wrong, the more mobility the better. They had a cut mid thigh on the Navy Seal Team in black green that allowed for more mobility. Now if they could just apply that to these figures. and the new JOE style hands. I added those to one and it also expands the posing possibilities.

It would be nice if one of these manufacturers made some infantry without the pant leg tucked in the boots as I tend to see more and more of.

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA
I don't know... without the added range of movement, they tend to look somewhat stiff. Great if you want standing or very subtle poses, but that's where the realism ends imo.

Taking a knee for action purposes looks really great, but only if it looks more natural. The slightest differences in stance widths make the pose that much better (again, imo). Examples below of what you can't do with Bravo figs, which is a shame really -

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
A upper thigh cut would be nice on Joes, but not as helpful as t-bar system would be for Unimax. As it stands Unimax can stand around or run, but Joes will crouch, peek around corners and dozens of other of poses that aren't parade rest.

I need to dig out that Unimax GI and see if he can straight-ahead 2-hand a rifle like the new Cobra Troopers.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Thanks for the review, Medd. Since getting on board here, I've really come to appreciate the modern accuracy and detail of the vehicles and paint schemes of most of the 1:18th, non-Hasbro manufacturers. But despite their cool gear and paint apps, I just can't appreciate these figures. Every single figure I get with a weapons set or vehicle I try to figure out if I can use them as anything useful, but I just can't get past their awkwardness.

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I don't know... without the added range of movement, they tend to look somewhat stiff. Great if you want standing or very subtle poses, but that's where the realism ends imo.

Taking a knee for action purposes looks really great, but only if it looks more natural. The slightest differences in stance widths make the pose that much better (again, imo). Examples below of what you can't do with Bravo figs, which is a shame really -

those are way to cool. Seen them before except for the firefly custom if that's still what you're calling him.

Dr Syn

humerus
Mar 27, 2011
Unimax just needs to add the crotches and ankles they use in the Crysis 2 and Assassin's Creed figures (probably the ankles from Assassin's Creed figures).

If they don't well, they'll just keep pumping out the current molds since they're all paid for.