USS Flagg Carrier Carrier Strike Group project

Jedi_Master_Ben

Enlisted
Mar 6, 2012
Thanks guys, That really helped. As Meddatron put it, I too feel more closely to continuity. I decided to go with the color stickers. I did have to order the Sundowner sticker set to get the NAVY stickers and the USS Flagg CVN-99 stickers. Such a waste for only a few stickers ( will use the Rescue arrows too). This set is the only one that had the USS Flagg sticker in black, all others were in white or non visible. Anyone want the rest after I am done with them for a reduce price from what I paid for them?

Jedi_Master_Ben

Enlisted
Mar 6, 2012
Hey Guys,

I have a quick update for you all. I finished the custom Sea Knight. The stickers from Cobra Stickers arrived today. As you remember, I ordered the Sundowner Sky Striker Custom Stickers for the black "NAVY" and the black "U.S.S. Flagg CVN-99". I got them applied and I have to say, I wish they used a bigger font. Anyone out there know how or were to get stickers like these printed here in the US? In addition to the Navy and Flagg stickers, I also used the "Rescue" arrows for the windows. In order to get larger font letters for the tail section, I cut out the "NL" from the tail stickers form the Sundowners tail stickers. I also used the numbers from a Sky Striker sticker sheet to make the tail numbers and cut up some letters and numbers for the smaller information. I also had to make some molds over the past week and made a copy of the hook from the crane from the Tactical Battle Platform. I got rid of that oversized silver hook and replaced it with the cast copy. Now when I fold the wench, the hook hides nicely in the gaps. All in all I am happy the way it turned out for a repaint. Here are some pictures:

Who would have thought that this little gem had this much potential going for it. If you see one of these (Police or Coast Guard versions) on e-bay or in a thrift store, snatch it up, it's well worth it to add this work horse to your collection.

Until next time, stay tuned for more updates.

Attachments

• Sea Knight Custom 001.jpg
    Sea Knight Custom 001.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 325
  • Sea Knight Custom 002.jpg
    Sea Knight Custom 002.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 327
  • Sea Knight Custom 003.jpg
    Sea Knight Custom 003.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 322
  • Sea Knight Custom 004.jpg
    Sea Knight Custom 004.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 325
Last edited:

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Decals look really good...not too over the top...

Have you considered tearing out the electronics and covering the void with styrene or something?...you clearly have the skills to make it happen...

Fred Broca

Enlisted
Jun 2, 2012
The Empyrean
Later on I went ahead and made a female version of the Deck Crew using newly sculpted female crainum head (both Caucasian and African-American) and same MK-1 vest. The torso is a new original sculpted torso based on the ROC Breaker design. Amrs are from ROC scarlett (modified) and Legs are from ROC Breaker legs. She stands shorter than her male counter part, easy to spot out on deck. Currently in WIP stage as I need to cast 2 of every color female deck crew to fill out the ranks. Here is a picture of one of them:

More to come, stay tuned.

Fred sees black people. Cool. Not for nothing, I still want a Flagg, but only in box for collecting purposes. If I were to have one on display, I have to commission one. Simply put, a customized commissioned piece is WAAAY hotter the anything than Hasbro ever has or ever will put out.

Jedi_Master_Ben

Enlisted
Mar 6, 2012
Hello Everyone,

It has been a while since I last posted. In short, I had to take some time away from this project partly due to family issues, partly my computer hard drive died on me, and partly I got involved in Summoners War game. But I am back again thanks to discovering the new True Heroes Battleship toy that is currently out at Toys R Us. It gave me the inspiration I needed to get back to this project since the basic design of that ship is similar to the Arleigh Burke class destroyer, at least half of it does. I have been making changes and moving forward on my foam board mock up. I will have some pictures up soon.

I do have a question for you all. I did some research on scale of the F-14 Skystriker toy and found that it is based around 1:32 scale model. If so, then it would make sense that other 1:32 model planes would also fit in on the deck of the USS FLAGG. For example, I have found two 1:32 scale models of a Grumman A-6 Intruder and E-2C Hawkeye. The question I propose is this, would those two models look right next to the Skystriker? The models are not cheap so I want some opinions on this first before shelling out the dough for them. Plus I would want them built like a toy to match the Skystrikers than actual realistic models. Otherwise, I would think there would be a feeling of disconnect. So for example the A-6 Intruder would be a single seat and modified so a figure can fit in the cockpit. The E-2C Hawkeye model is a vacuum form kit of the base parts, the rest is meant to be fabricated by the modeler. Do you guys think this would be well worth it to add these planes to the Flagg Deck?

Thanks guys,

Ben

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
If memory serves, the Skystriker is essentially a Joescale cockpit on a 1:32 airframe. I can't see anyway to make a fully 1:32 plane look kosher parked next to a Skystriker.

I'm not sure it's possible to modify a 1:32 model to take a Joe figure. I would assume it would require an entirely scratch-built cockpit.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Yeah, wouldn't the canopy on the SS be substantially larger than that of the real 1:32 planes?

And if they are $$$ models, odds are extremely good that they'll be MUCH more detailed than Hasbro's childproof toy.

azslogan

Officer
Mar 14, 2013
I would think the Intruder would look great. I would not add an EC-2 Hawkeye the wingspan is huge and would take up far too much deck space. New Ray makes an inexpensive Sea King helicopter that would look good on the deck of your carrier.

Last edited:

Jedi_Master_Ben

Enlisted
Mar 6, 2012
Thanks for the feedback on the E-2 Hawkeye idea. Here is a pic I found online of the vacuum form mold:

I heard back from the maker and he said the total wing span is 30 in, which sounds right. The Skystriker wing span is 22 in if I remember right. With the wings folded, the plane should fit in on the deck. And if you taxi it to the blast shield and then open the wings, it should clear any structures. For diorama purpose, I might set it up in flight mode over the carrier group. I will have to think some more about this. Thanks again for the feedback.

Another note, I have made some progress with the Destroyer project. I should have some pics up later today.

Attachments

• Tigger E2 Kit.jpg
    Tigger E2 Kit.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

Jedi_Master_Ben

Enlisted
Mar 6, 2012
Hello Everyone,

Here are the pictures of the latest progress on the USS Destroyer project:

So in this update I decided lower the flight deck by 2 inches and added an inch or so to the aft section of the deck before the flight deck to make a hanger for the Skyhawk. The idea is for a flip up and retract hanger door and have enough space to house the Skyhawk in it. The insides will have some kibble for refuel and other maintenance functions. Since I got the True Heroes Battleship, I have this little raft that I thought would work great for that spot where the rib boat would go. That is unless there is a better version that will fit in that space. I am using the crane from the old battle platform. One big change is changing the bridge from an open side to now a flip up top system, thanks to the design from the TH Battleship. This will maintain the aesthetics of the destroyer and still have access to put figures inside the bridge. The bridge will be fitted with bits of the controls from the Flagg, cut up to fit inside. I will be working on the hinge tonight. The anchor is from the old USS Destroyer toy, a nice fit for size and will look good up front. Not sure yet on or if I should make it lower and raise, your thought? For the rear two dishes I plan on using the vintage Joe HQ. I have one in route from e-bay. If the dish is the right size, I will make a copy of it and "Bob your uncle". I will also be making a mold of the smoke stacks from the USS Destroyer toy to be mounted on the two islands stacks.

Now question to you all, The CIC access, should I make it that you would remove the bridge island to expose the CIC play area, or have flip down door on the hull to get access to the CIC? What do you guys think?

Attachments

• USS_Destroyer_2016_01.JPG
    USS_Destroyer_2016_01.JPG
    361.9 KB · Views: 90
  • USS_Destroyer_2016_02.JPG
    USS_Destroyer_2016_02.JPG
    360 KB · Views: 91
  • USS_Destroyer_2016_03.JPG
    USS_Destroyer_2016_03.JPG
    322.5 KB · Views: 88
  • USS_Destroyer_2016_04.JPG
    USS_Destroyer_2016_04.JPG
    234.9 KB · Views: 86
  • USS_Destroyer_2016_05.JPG
    USS_Destroyer_2016_05.JPG
    232.5 KB · Views: 87
  • USS_Destroyer_2016_06.JPG
    USS_Destroyer_2016_06.JPG
    313.5 KB · Views: 88
  • USS_Destroyer_2016_07.JPG
    USS_Destroyer_2016_07.JPG
    351.2 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Well that's cool. I know it's early on, but are railings in it's future?

I wouldn't bother with a raising/lowering anchor, personally. I doubt it would get much use.

For CIC access, I'd go removable just to get it out of the way. Not like being flipped up will look any better than being removed completely for fooling around in there.

Jedi_Master_Ben

Enlisted
Mar 6, 2012
Hello Everyone,

Well, we survived Hurricane Michael this past weekend. I got a 5 day payed weekend out of it. It allowed me to do some more work on the destroyer project before and after the storm hit (and when we got power back on).

I reworked the wall of the island and made them taller from a inch to two inches. I also reworked the bow of the ship to take out the sharp change to the island. I widen the deck a little bit to give the hull a slant down and inward instead of the straight vertical hull. I then gave the island walls a slight slant to accommodate the wider deck. I also raised the CWIS platform. The smoke stacks made more narrow. I angled the top part of the hanger as well as increase the side walls to two inches just like the main island. The stern landing pad was raised and angled to match the Arliegh Burke design. I think at this point, I am done with the mock up of the destroyer. Here are some picture to look over:

I know there are some small stuff I can still work on, like angle the windows on the bridge and put in a flip open and retract hanger door. Also as discussed, I can remove the island and cut a hole and put in the CIC mock up. Also the aft island might allow for another room put in, any ideas what you would like it to be, maybe an engine room or sickbay?

That's it for tonight. Until next time.

Attachments

• USS_Destroyer_2016_08.jpg
    USS_Destroyer_2016_08.jpg
    405.4 KB · Views: 89
  • USS_Destroyer_2016_09.jpg
    USS_Destroyer_2016_09.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 87
  • USS_Destroyer_2016_10.jpg
    USS_Destroyer_2016_10.jpg
    324.4 KB · Views: 85
  • USS_Destroyer_2016_11.jpg
    USS_Destroyer_2016_11.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 88
  • USS_Destroyer_2016_12.jpg
    USS_Destroyer_2016_12.jpg
    338.9 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

Jedi_Master_Ben

Enlisted
Mar 6, 2012
Are you planning to spray the mock up down to make it so it can float on water?

No, I am not interested in having the finial version to float, it's more of a playset to go with the USS FLAGG or a stand alone vehicle to take on aliens. During my research into this project, I have seen videos of other foamboard ship builders that coat their ships in resin to give it a hard shell. I know I have to do some body work to smooth out the wrinkles and other imperfections, but I thought I was going to make molds of this and make resin copies in order to make the 4 ships for the carrier group diorama project. But maybe it would be easier to make all the ships out of foamboard and just coat them with a resin shell for durability. What do you guys think?

Jedi_Master_Ben

Enlisted
Mar 6, 2012
Hello Everyone,

Today I turned my attention back on the USS FLAGG. I am sure some of you all have seen this custom table that this Hisstanker made for his FLAGG (Custom Flagg base/table - HissTank.com). I was inspired to do something like that for this FLAGG project. The only problem, I am not that well skilled with wood working. I pondered awhile and came up with the idea of using Foam Board for the second hull construction. I thought, why not, I had plenty around after the Destroyer project. I start by making box like pieces of the bow and aft of the hull. I then went to my local Hobby Lobby store and picked up a couple pieces of 1/2 inch foam board (in black, the only color they had that day). I measured the support structures and then cut the 1/2 in foam to size and then sprayed glued a second piece to double the thickness to 1 inch. I put all the pieces in place and started putting together the FLAGG and cross my figures. Would you believe it, it worked! the foam board supports held. Oh, and here are some pics:

So, what do you all think? I did not have any plans to work from so I took a ballpark guess and made the second tier hull 6 inches. But looking at it now, I wonder if I made it too tall by an inch or two. I look forward to your inputs.

Thanks for stopping by, until next time...

Attachments

• USS_Flagg_01_2016.jpg
    USS_Flagg_01_2016.jpg
    359.6 KB · Views: 159
  • USS_Flagg_02_2016.jpg
    USS_Flagg_02_2016.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 157
  • USS_Flagg_03_2016.jpg
    USS_Flagg_03_2016.jpg
    332.7 KB · Views: 157
  • USS_Flagg_04_2016.jpg
    USS_Flagg_04_2016.jpg
    363.8 KB · Views: 158
  • USS_Flagg_05_2016.jpg
    USS_Flagg_05_2016.jpg
    409.8 KB · Views: 157

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Height looks fine to me. I'd think only someone really knowledgeable on carriers would know if something was way out of whack.

Shadowwolf032

The Unwashed
Dec 13, 2017
I need some help I want build a USS FLAGG Aircrafts carrier from the ground up to fit my Gi joe sky striker and my f-22 raptor how do I go about it

Jedi_Master_Ben

Enlisted
Mar 6, 2012
I need some help I want build a USS FLAGG Aircrafts carrier from the ground up to fit my Gi joe sky striker and my f-22 raptor how do I go about it

Wow, what you are asking to do is an ambitious project. There are many of customs out there that are scratch built USS Flagg. Most of them are built with wood and other bits. The main question you are going to need to ask yourself is what scale to build it. To start, the official Hasbro model is over 7 1/2 feet long by 3 feet wide. It is based on the USS Intrepid (thanks to the previous poster for pointing that out) The Joe vehicles are not true 1:18th scale, they are in fact 1:32 scale with the cockpits modified to fit Joe scale figures. Some of the nice ones I have seen are around 12 feet long. Depending on how much time and money you want to invest into this, in my opinion, you might want to look into buying the official USS Flagg parts on e-bay and piece it together over time . In some cases, it was cheaper to do it that way than to purchase a complete one outright. But if you are hell bent on building it from scratch, then I do have a roll of paper that has the deck pieces traced out on it. I was thinking of doing the same years ago before going the route of buying the USS Flagg pieces on e-bay. You can have it to help you get started, shoot me a pm if that's what you want to do.

Hey guys, I do have an update coming soon. I still have to take pictures to go with this "article" I want to write up on this. I have not seen anyone talk about this and I hope it will shed some light on a cheap method of making vehicles and diorama pieces in any scale you need.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Oh man. I was hoping to see an update to go with your post, Ben.

That carrier pic is incredibly cool with the SR-71 sitting on the deck.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Never been to the Intrepid museum, Eduardo? That's one of the very few things I like in NYC.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
I'm going to the intrepid next spring to see the space shuttle. (Enterprise)

This thanksgiving I saw the Discovery & I already told the wife that I plan on seeing the others, in the next few years.

On topic:
If I ever build a custom carrier I'd put the thing on wheels with a cabinet underneath for storage Only way to justify the space:)

Jedi_Master_Ben

Enlisted
Mar 6, 2012
Hello everyone, I am back!

I step away to deal with some real world stuff and a few supersizes I have coming up. I have been working on this from time to time and today I have an update (with pictures too ).

So lets talk about my latest discovery... Paper Crafting!

That's right you heard right, paper crafting, the art of folding and gluing paper shapes to create a three dimensional object. Here is a little back story to fill in. If you all recall I was last working on the CIWS gun for the destroyer project. I was doing some picture searching on Google for research and stumbled across a paper craft model of a CIWS cannon and it looked perfect for what I needed. I was like "I NEED THIS, WHERE DO I GET THIS!" It turns out it was a free download of a papercraft site. The model was in 1:40th scale. Being a math guy, I was able to find a upscale that looked right (not too small, not too big) when placed on the island bow and the stern gun placements. ( I will get pics of that when I update the destroyer project).

So this got me thinking "What else can I find in papercraft form?" A couple of mouse clicks in Google and BAMM! A whole new world of paper models was introduced to me. And I have to tell you, these models rival that of expensive plastic models in details. So, if you recall, I was thinking about buying a model of a 1:32 scale Hawkeye E-2C from a vacuum form mold from England (around $150). That didn't happen. INSTEAD... I found a papercraft model that was free to download. The model is a 1:68th scale from a Russian publisher. It turns out, this hobby is very big over in Europe. I down loaded the files and then upscale the images in Photoshop. I had to cut and paste and arrange some parts around to fit on the paper dimensions. The wings had to be printed on 11x17 card stock because of the wing size. Once that was done, I saved the new files on to a stick drive and head over to my local Office Depot to print them out. I did buy a pack of 100 weight card stock to bring to them. I figure it would be easier to provide them the card stock instead of buying theirs. I did get their 11x17 card stock as I could not find any packs to purchase locally. I took my newly printed sheets and headed home to promptly start cutting and gluing the pieces. Long story short, I was very pleased with the end result. Total cost $8.00

After the success of that project, I found a descent model of the MD-3 tractor. It was a 1:35 scale model. I upscale it to 1:17 scale to fit with modern Joe figures. I modified it so you can put a figure to "drive it". Later I would find other models that had rear attachments for this vehicle, one was a compressor, and the other was a firefighting unit.

Next I found some Aircraft Carrier deck accessories. I made a huffer, nitrogen unit and an oxygen tank.

My latest project is the A-6 Intruder. I wanted another plane that shared the deck with the F-14 Tomcat. This model was originally 1:48th scale and was re-scaled in Photoshop to 1:32 scale (the same as the Skystriker). I changed the cockpit from a duel seat to a single seat in order to accommodate a figure. This was the first time I tried to put in windows from scratch, so I am not really happy how it turned out, it will do for now. Total cost for the A-6 Intruder $3.00.

I do have some more deck accessories kits I can upscale and build, so there is more to come.

So, for those of you who are in need of a model of a type of plane or tank or building, or other accessories, I would recommend you look into papercraft as an alternative to plastic models or toys to fill in your dioramas. And the best part, if you mess up something, you can just reprint that page and continue where you left off.

That's it for today, until next time.

Attachments

• IMG_0583.JPG
    IMG_0583.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0582.JPG
    IMG_0582.JPG
    993.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0581.JPG
    IMG_0581.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0579.JPG